• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cobra Kai Havertz: No Mercy

Will Kai prove to be a Xhaka upgrade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Game Over

Despite him being underwhelming for Chelsea, I feel strangely optimistic about him under Arteta.

Should have paid a little less though considering he’s coming off a poor season.

IrishGooner93

Now that Arteta has said he'll play midfield I wonder is he gonna play alongside Ødegaard like people are saying or will he be Odes backup?

DuBB

Manager Mikel Arteta added: “Kai is a player of top quality. He has great versatility and is an intelligent player. He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play.

Makes perfect sense.

We call it "The Xhaka Role", but in reality we don't know what that role is really supposed to be. Xhaka was just the best we had for now.

Maybe now we'll get a better idea of what the Left 8 was supposed to look like with an actual Arteta signing playing there.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Now that Arteta has said he'll play midfield I wonder is he gonna play alongside Ødegaard like people are saying or will he be Odes backup?
I don't think we're at the level quite yet where we buy backups who are more expensive than the starter nor do I think Havertz signed to be a backup. He'll either play exactly where Xhaka played in the 4-3-3 or more likely in my opinion he will play next to Ødegaard behind Martinelli Jesus and Saka with Rice and one of Timber or Zinchenko and maybe even Lavia at times sitting behind them in a 3-2-2-3 that mirrors City's new system and what we tried in our last 2 games of the season.

ptrcopp

Manager Mikel Arteta added: “Kai is a player of top quality. He has great versatility and is an intelligent player. He will bring a huge amount of extra strength to our midfield and variety to our play.

Very interesting. Would imagine the stats that have been highlight around work rate, forward passes in final third and arrivals in penalty area are the focus for the midfield. This is exactly what Xhaka brought this season so excellently this season

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He will score the winner in the English Super Cup v City, that's when I'll start to really love him!

Legend14

Established Member
I'm sure it will be him instead of Timber in some games. That's the point. Create the same patterns of play but with different personnel in different positions.
To make your formation work, I think you do need Timber.

I don’t see Zinchenko sitting, so I still see a back 4.

Legend14

Established Member
This player is coming from a very negative environment. We need to fully support him day 1, if we are planning to get the best out of him.

IrishGooner93

I don't think we're at the level quite yet where we buy backups who are more expensive than the starter nor do I think Havertz signed to be a backup. He'll either play exactly where Xhaka played in the 4-3-3 or more likely in my opinion he will play next to Ødegaard behind Martinelli Jesus and Saka with Rice and one of Timber or Zinchenko and maybe even Lavia at times sitting behind them in a 3-2-2-3 that mirrors City's new system and what we tried in our last 2 games of the season.
Yeah was thinking most likely that, and you're right that we're probably not in the position to pay such a fee for odegaards backup.
It's an interesting evolution of the team , even if a similar structure to last season , albeit adjusted more like city's, the personnel in it will change it now too.
Havertz in that xhaka role alongside Ødegaard feels somewhat risky but also an exciting prospect if it works.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Yeah was thinking most likely that, and you're right that we're probably not in the position to pay such a fee for odegaards backup.
It's an interesting evolution of the team , even if a similar structure to last season , albeit adjusted more like city's, the personnel in it will change it now too.
Havertz in that xhaka role alongside Ødegaard feels somewhat risky but also an exciting prospect if it works.
Havertz does have excellent defensive metrics, similar to what Ode has developed in terms of winning the ball back high up the pitch. Even though I didn't really understand the move initially, I'm optimistic that Arteta has a good idea how to get the best out of Havertz. What I like the most about the squad that we're now building is that I think it will be able to execute multiple gameplans extremely well. I think we'll have the same fluidity and top level that we had last season but with less predictability so that it's harder for teams to try to nullify our strengths and that level of adaptability is how you close the gap between ourselves and a club like City, as well as some of the giants we may encounter in the CL.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom