• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Cobra Kai Havertz: No Mercy

Will Kai prove to be a Xhaka upgrade?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
It's quite clear to me that we're going for attack, ball possession and pressing are the best for defence.

He's going to be playing in a similar role to Ode but on the left. It will make our attack more balanced on both sides.

Triangles of zinchenko, martinelli and Kai and White, Ode and Saka.

In terms of defence we're going to be more vulnerable to transition, but I think if we settle in to a defensive block, you don't have to be particularly good defensively as an individual as long as everyone is disciplined in their shape.

We've seen Chelsea of 2012 win a champions league like that.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He’s a second striker/forward all day long for me, so interesting Arteta put emphasis on the midfield when talking about him. Will be really interesting to see how he fits it there.

Think on the ball the “Xhaka role” is fine for him, Granit pushed up really high and attacked the box a lot which plays to Havertz’s strengths. It’s off the ball that’s an issue imo.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He’s a second striker/forward all day long for me, so interesting Arteta put emphasis on the midfield when talking about him. Will be really interesting to see how he fits it there.

Think on the ball the “Xhaka role” is fine for him, Granit pushed up really high and attacked the box a lot which plays to Havertz’s strengths. It’s off the ball that’s an issue imo.

Think he's hoping more of the ball means we defend less, plus Gabriel-Rice-Saliba will be able to handle most of the defensive work we do have to face (with Declan being a more reliable version of Partey in our system)

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Was disappointed at the reported fee given the situation Chelsea seem to be in, but with the way they've shipped out a good portion of their deadwood and the asking price they've set for Mount, they probably had more leverage than we gave them credit for.

Along with Rice, Havertz seems to have been the other main target earmarked by Arteta so mission accomplished in that regard.

Initially felt underwhelmed when the links first surfaced, but beginning to feel cautiously optimistic at the prospect of how he'll be utilized by Mikel. We could in for some scintillating stuff if things start clicking.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Wasn't he praised by different coaches for that?

Think he is perfect for the role, in fact, my only concern is there is a chance someone else will take over from Xhaka

King87

Kai's having the time of my life

He’s so technically gifted no chance he won’t be successful! Considering the amount of technicians we have in the team he’ll fit in like a glove.I’m so chuffed to bits.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Think he's hoping more of the ball means we defend less, plus Gabriel-Rice-Saliba will be able to handle most of the defensive work we do have to face (with Declan being a more reliable version of Partey in our system)
Not just that but I think White will sit a lot and overlap far less. Last year White would often make up the 5th man in attack. Once the ball got to Saka on the wing outside the box and White overlapped, the team would look like this in possession in the final third:

Martinelli Xhaka Jesus Saka White
Zinny Partey Ødegaard
Gabriel Saliba
As soon as we lost the ball it put a lot of pressure on Partey to close down the big gap between Gabriel and Saliba and both of them to make a quick decision on where the cover based on how quickly the team either won the ball back or if not, how quickly they tracked back and which spaces they were able to close down. Even though Havertz is less defensive than Xhaka, I think the change in system will make us both better at attacking AND defending because it will operate more like this:

Martinelli Havertz Jesus Ødegaard Saka
Zinny Rice
Gabriel Saliba White
White sits and makes a back 3 with far less space to be responsible for but because Havertz is much better attacking space than Xhaka and because Rice is far more robust than Partey, you create essentially the same penetrative actions (@Riou) as last year's system with one less player in attack while having an extra player in defense. So everything is better and more efficient from ball retention to defensive solidity just with the change of personnel and the slight tweak in White's default position when we have possession. That tweak gives you the same attacking bite but you also suffocate the counter with the shape.

Wryer

For me he’s not necessarily a guaranteed first 11, even if he cost 65m.

We needed solid options when Ødegaard, Saka or Martinelli and Jesus are off (form or injuries). Last season we could only call upon Trossard who could consistently deliver. The drop off to the next level was more acute - Reiss (sporadic), ESR (injuries granted), Nketiah, Viera.

That’s where we got caught at the final lap. City could confident call on a strong support cast, while we could only hope and pray.

Legend14

Established Member
For me he’s not necessarily a guaranteed first 11, even if he cost 65m.

We needed solid options when Ødegaard, Saka or Martinelli and Jesus are off (form or injuries). Last season we could only call upon Trossard who could consistently deliver. The drop off to the next level was more acute - Reiss (sporadic), ESR (injuries granted), Nketiah, Viera.

That’s where we got caught at the final lap. City could confident call on a strong support cast, while we could only hope and pray.
In addition, Rice is too talented to only support the back 4. We would pay 105m to not use him for his full capabilities?

Rice will play a box to box role. He is an excellent upgrade to Xhaka. Havertz will play 10/9 and occasionally for Saka.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
In addition, Rice is too talented to only support the back 4. We would pay 105m to not use him for his full capabilities?

Rice will play a box to box role. He is an excellent upgrade to Xhaka. Havertz will play 10/9 and occasionally for Saka.

Will you still be saying this when Partey leaves?

Legend14

Established Member
Will you still be saying this when Partey leaves?
The best player to pair Rice with is Partey. No question. If Partey leaves, Arsenal will use the funds to get a like defensive minded player to free Rice.

Arsenal were recruiting Rice before Havertz was a consideration, and when Partey was playing very well. That is when they created their vision.

Rice will not be wasted to only protect the back 4. It exposes him and does not let him run at pace in transition.

Put Rice first. We are building with him in mind.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
The best player to pair Rice with is Partey. No question. If Partey leaves, Arsenal will use the funds to get a like defensive minded player to free Rice.

Arsenal were recruiting Rice before Havertz was a consideration, and when Partey was playing very well. That is when they created their vision.

Rice will not be wasted to only protect the back 4. It exposes him and does not let him run at pace in transition.

Put Rice first. We are building with him in mind.
Where do you see Kai havertz playing then?

Rice will play some games as the 8 but I feel majorly he's going to be a 6

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
In a double pivot, Rice is fine at 6. In our formation he is not. We leave the 6 by himself too frequently.
We'll have zinchenko/timber to pair with the 6 to form the double. I think it will be the 3223 box formation

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom