• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

English Football 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Benteke pisses on Giroud, not even worth a debate if you watch enough of both without your Arsenal rose tinted glasses.

Giroud has little over Benteke, good looks maybe, that's it.

He'll score more than Benteke next season though, as he'll start every game for a much better side in Arsenal.

Benteke has a great scoring record, phenomenal actually when you consider the anti football of Lambert.

You'll see.

He's a wonderful player. Over three seasons he's averaged a 1 in 2 scoring ratio, for a quite frankly abysmal Aston Villa team. He'll run riot when he's playing in a team that can actually support him.

Plus there's the Euros next summer. He's going to be playing out of his skin this season.
Again, I hate the fact that it is for Liverpool ,but he'll tear it up this season.

Oh, and you're talking about Origi who got picked in the Ligue 1 worst 11 last season? Ok ;)

I was talking about potential. I think Origi has the higher ceiling of the two. Remain to be seen if he can make it as far as Benteke does at the moment.

Besides, Coquelin got picked in the Bundesliga worst eleven. I'm not paying too much attention to those lists.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
That's kind of a hunch then isn't it?

Fair enough I suppose. I'm unconvinced.

I've watched Benteke play for 3 seasons, and he's phenomenal.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I've yet to see Benteke display a level similar to Ade, which is why I said 'on form' Ade is a better player than Benteke. The argument that Benteke was playing at a worse club doesn't wash with me, we've seen plenty of players tear it up at a smaller club, move to a bigger club and fail to re-capture their form.

Don't get me wrong I rate Benteke, and I know he's still pretty young but Adebayor at his best was literally unplayable, perfect mix of power, pace and technical ability. His goal against Villarreal is one of the best CL goals I've ever seen in terms of execution.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"...

Giroud did play more matches than Benteke, but he also outscored him in the last two seasons, and while I'm too lazy to check, I have a hunch that he also had more assists than him. I have not watched Benteke a lot, so I can't comment on his general play, but I think that we can at least agree that even when he doesn't score Giroud is usually involved in the game and helpful in other ways.

As for the argument that Benteke would be much better if he was surrounded by our players, I think we should all know that's just a guess. If that was always true, then every player that moves to a better team would also up their game, which they often don't.

No offence to Villa, but considering their players lately, I wouldn't put too much weight into their fans accurately judging how good Benteke really is. Their standards are much lower than ours, and someone who is great for them could easily be just a reserve for us.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Point is, even if you had bought Benteke he wouldn't be the upgrade you desire. I'd like to think Benteke is a more aggressive version of Giroud but that also goes against him as he lacks what Giroud has in vision and bringing other players into the game as well as him. It's pretty like-for-like in that manner.

Sure, Benteke would be a breath of fresh air for a few games but ultimately you'd still be pleading for another striker as he won't take your club to your end goal.

From what I've seen in this thread the mentality and criteria in a striker shouldn't be "He'd outscore Giroud."

Rather it should be "He'd be top goal scorer in the league."

Last edited:

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"...

Giroud did play more matches than Benteke, but he also outscored him in the last two seasons, and while I'm too lazy to check, I have a hunch that he also had more assists than him. I have not watched Benteke a lot, so I can't comment on his general play, but I think that we can at least agree that even when he doesn't score Giroud is usually involved in the game and helpful in other ways.

As for the argument that Benteke would be much better if he was surrounded by our players, I think we should all know that's just a guess. If that was always true, then every player that moves to a better team would also up their game, which they often don't.

No offence to Villa, but considering their players lately, I wouldn't put too much weight into their fans accurately judging how good Benteke really is. Their standards are much lower than ours, and someone who is great for them could easily be just a reserve for us.
This post is all over the place.

You seem to be making a judgement on a player that you fully admit you haven't seen play much.

Then criticising others for doing the same thing by making a "guess" about how he'd fit into the Arsenal team.

Then patronising Villa fans by saying because we're crap we don't know a good player when we see one.

Kind of weird.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Hilarious how Benteke will be better just by playing for a better team.... how many times have we heard this rubbish with mediocre players?

"Lukaku is a MONSTER, scored 16 goals for WBA and Everton, he'll score 40 for Chelsea because he'll play with better players"

Summer transfer window, and he signs for Everton... :rolleyes:

We've heard this song sooooo many times, and it always ends in tears. Benteke is clearly a clogger, if he manages a good career for Liverpool, then he's done well.

This post is all over the place.

You seem to be making a judgement on a player that you fully admit you haven't seen play much.

Then criticising others for doing the same thing by making a "guess" about how he'd fit into the Arsenal team.

Then patronising Villa fans by saying because we're crap we don't know a good player when we see one.

Kind of weird.
I'm criticizing people for overrating him even though his output in the last few years is worse than Giroud's. I don't need to watch every Benteke's game to know that he is less efficient than Olivier, and that there's no guarantee that he would be much better if he played here.

Sorry if my post came out patronizing. Villa fans are obviously equally as qualified to judge a player as any other supporter, it's just that unless you clearly state that you consider Benteke to be on Costa's level, for example, just saying that he is phenomenal doesn't necessarily mean that he is up to our standards. I consider Cazorla phenomenal, but it's very much possible that he would be just a reserve if he played for Barcelona.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
Hilarious how Benteke will be better just by playing for a better team.... how many times have we heard this rubbish with mediocre players?

"Lukaku is a MONSTER, scored 16 goals for WBA and Everton, he'll score 40 for Chelsea because he'll play with better players"

Exactly. You think people on here have been watching football long enough to understand that moving to a better club won't automatically make you a better player, it's almost the opposite most of the time.

The only thing Benteke has over Oli is age, marginally faster too.

vantoure

Exactly. You think people on here have been watching football long enough to understand that moving to a better club won't automatically make you a better player, it's almost the opposite most of the time.

The only thing Benteke has over Oli is age, marginally faster too.

Exactly, in fact an argument can be made for players at a smaller club having everything go through them and such have more goal scoring opportunities.

That even appeared to be the case with gooner Tim n benteke last season

Lilwizzle

Established Member
Despite the odd encouraging moment you’re constantly under pressure and rumours of the sack are never far away – you’re basically Gus Poyet.

Kl, I like Poyet. He's like a **** Roberto Martinez.

Bakka

He isn't.

The point of my post wasn't even who the better player is, but how you can describe Benteke as WC, this is just mindblowing stuff for me really, sorry..
It seems like you really meant it too. What has he done to be considered WC??

** Just to let you know, I actually rate Benteke and think he will become a better player than Giroud, but right now? I don't think so. Benteke will do okay-ish at Liverpool, but he wont set the league on fire.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You've clearly never seen him play.

That's ok. You'll see soon enough.

I think he's a decent player but I highly doubt he'll fit with Liverpool's team, don't think they'll play anyone out wide who's actually much of a crosser. All playmakers like Lallana or Firmino cutting inside.

It's common knowledge that Benteke as a player needs to have a good supply of crosses to score, so guess which team put in the least amount of crosses in the league last year?

That's right, Pool.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Worth noting that Benteke is only 24, which is very young for a player of his type. Hell, it's very young for a player in general. Ramsey is 24 and he's still talked about as having massive potential.

Not sure why people are only talking about what Benteke might do this season. Not even in his prime yet.

Rahl

We've heard this song sooooo many times, and it always ends in tears. Benteke is clearly a clogger, if he manages a good career for Liverpool, then he's done well.

There was actually a thread on Reddit discussing this the other day. https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/3evdj3/he_scored_1520_goals_for_a_shit_team_so_hell/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom