• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

İlkay Gündoğan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydreamer

If Gundogan resigns they don't sign his replacement. They kick that can down the line for a year or two.

I just don't want us signing players who's main motive is more money or an extra year on their contract.

I don't want us to turn into the club who just lacks ideas and signs players from City. Let's find the next Gundogan or Cancelo. Not expensive players that will decline over the next year or two and who will need replaced.

As I've asked and nobody answered. How many times did a team sitting 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th in the league, signed players from the team that finished 1st and that was the difference to swing the title.
Where have you got the idea that City can't extend Gundugan and sign his replacement? They signed Rodri while Fernandinho was still at the club. Rumour has it, they have quite a bit of money.

I'm fully up for finding the new Cancelo as he would cost £50+. And if we can find the new Gundogan at buy all the other players we need, that would be awesome. Zero disagreement there.

But passing up on a fantastic player purely because he currently plays for the Champions doesn't make a great deal of sense.

I think you've got this entirely backwards. The reason there are no examples of clubs signing players from the Champions and then going on to become Champions themselves isn't because it's detrimental to the buying club. It's because it's detrimental to the selling club... so they try to avoid it. In this scenario, it's City who would prefer Gundogan to either extend or, failing that move abroad, so as not to improve a rival.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Where have you got the idea that City can't extend Gundugan and sign his replacement? They signed Rodri while Fernandinho was still at the club. Rumour has it, they have quite a bit of money.

I'm fully up for finding the new Cancelo as he would cost £50+. And if we can find the new Gundogan at buy all the other players we need, that would be awesome. Zero disagreement there.

But passing up on a fantastic player purely because he currently plays for the Champions doesn't make a great deal of sense.

I think you've got this entirely backwards. The reason there are no examples of clubs signing players from the Champions and then going on to become Champions themselves isn't because it's detrimental to the buying club. It's because it's detrimental to the selling club... so they try to avoid it. In this scenario, it's City who would prefer Gundogan to either extend or, failing that move abroad, so as not to improve a rival.
Dunno for me it just isn't what a future champion does.

Chelsea didn't mind selling us Gallas, Luiz, Cech, Benyoun or Jorginho. United didn't mind shifting us Silvestre.

City also didn't have a problem selling Sterling to Chelsea, who were tipped to mount a decent title challenge at the start of the season. They sold Jesus and Zinchenko to us. Maybe they didn't see us as challengers but it still didn't matter. They were happy to move them on.

If these clubs are happy to let the player join you there's usually a reason. And it isn't to strengthen you. Nor weaken them.

As I've said and I will repeat again. It's lazy business to have to keep signing players from your old club.

Daydreamer

Dunno for me it just isn't what a future champion does.

Chelsea didn't mind selling us Gallas, Luiz, Cech, Benyoun or Jorginho. United didn't mind shifting us Silvestre.

City also didn't have a problem selling Sterling to Chelsea, who were tipped to mount a decent title challenge at the start of the season. They sold Jesus and Zinchenko to us. Maybe they didn't see us as challengers but it still didn't matter. They were happy to move them on.

If these clubs are happy to let the player join you there's usually a reason. And it isn't to strengthen you. Nor weaken them.

As I've said and I will repeat again. It's lazy business to have to keep signing players from your old club.
It's true none of our recent signings from Chelsea have been unqualified successes. They were all struggling to some extent when we bought them and continued that once they joined us. The lesson to take from that is that you shouldn't sign players based on reputation alone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't sign quality players in superb form just because they play for the champions

The signings of Zinchenko and Jesus improved us a great deal. Reinforcing the point that you should be open to buying players from one of the best teams on the planet if you get the chance.

Furthermore, Gundogan is operating at a higher level than all of those players. And City would be neither "shifting" him onto us nor "happy to see him go". We'd be signing him on a free. A key player for them would now be playing for us.

You're right, that is not typically what a future champion does. But that's because they usually can't (we, in fact, may not be able to) - not because it's a bad idea.

The fact that you or others feel it's "lazy" would matter very little in success. If we can make a good signing, who cares how imaginative it is? It didn't take a genius to figure out van Persie would be a great signing for United. You could call Fergie lazy for making that deal... I'm sure that wouldn't bother him or any United fan.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It's true none of our recent signings from Chelsea have been unqualified successes. They were all struggling to some extent when we bought them and continued that once they joined us. The lesson to take from that is that you shouldn't sign players based on reputation alone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't sign quality players in superb form just because they play for the champions

The signings of Zinchenko and Jesus improved us a great deal. Reinforcing the point that you should be open to buying players from one of the best teams on the planet if you get the chance.

Furthermore, Gundogan is operating at a higher level than all of those players. And City would be neither "shifting" him onto us nor "happy to see him go". We'd be signing him on a free. A key player for them would now be playing for us.

You're right, that is not typically what a future champion does. But that's because they usually can't (we, in fact, may not be able to) - not because it's a bad idea.

The fact that you or others feel it's "lazy" would matter very little in success. If we can make a good signing, who cares how imaginative it is? It didn't take a genius to figure out van Persie would be a great signing for United. You could call Fergie lazy for making that deal... I'm sure that wouldn't bother him or any United fan.
RVP was playing at world class level and was only 29. He was literally the cherry on the top for United for instant success.

You also have to remember that Ferguson at that time had no longer term vision at United. He even lied to RVP telling him he would be there longer. He wanted one last go at the league and RVP guaranteed a big challenge.

It's like us losing the title by a point or two and us signing Harry Kane because we lack a 25 goal striker and Arteta knows we are within touching distance of title.

Gundogan isn't that type of signing. He's the typical, experienced, mature player and probably a good dressing room influence. But he, like many players, look incredible in City. Move them to a slightly inferior team and they aren't as good. Don't get me wrong, he's been a top player and still is. But would you get this level of Gundogan at Arsenal? I don't think so.

I also have questioned his footballing motives. Anyone who leaves this City for Arsenal at 32 is moving for 1 thing.

Daydreamer

RVP was playing at world class level and was only 29. He was literally the cherry on the top for United for instant success.

You also have to remember that Ferguson at that time had no longer term vision at United. He even lied to RVP telling him he would be there longer. He wanted one last go at the league and RVP guaranteed a big challenge.

It's like us losing the title by a point or two and us signing Harry Kane because we lack a 25 goal striker and Arteta knows we are within touching distance of title.

Gundogan isn't that type of signing. He's the typical, experienced, mature player and probably a good dressing room influence. But he, like many players, look incredible in City. Move them to a slightly inferior team and they aren't as good. Don't get me wrong, he's been a top player and still is. But would you get this level of Gundogan at Arsenal? I don't think so.

I also have questioned his footballing motives. Anyone who leaves this City for Arsenal at 32 is moving for 1 thing.
Fair enough. I disagree, but those aren't unreasonable points.

I think a Gunogan - Rice - Ødegaard midfield could be pretty damn tasty for the next couple of seasons and would free up funds to spend elsewhere in the short term.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to hear your thoughts.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fair enough. I disagree, but those aren't unreasonable points.

I think a Gunogan - Rice - Ødegaard midfield could be pretty damn tasty for the next couple of seasons and would free up funds to spend elsewhere in the short term.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to hear your thoughts.
It definitely could. Gundogan would be the type of signing I could settle with if we got all our other business, our first choices in other positions and he was like the last extra piece of the puzzle.

If we landed Caicedo, Rice, Gundogan, a forward and a defender I'd say what a window. The whole, City/Arsenal wouldn't phase me.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill

Zinchenko and Jesus have generally performed better with us than they did at City though. Granted they’re a little bit younger than Gundo.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Zinchenko and Jesus have generally performed better with us than they did at City though. Granted they’re a little bit younger than Gundo.
They also have been made first team and important players. They probably haven't actually performed that much better. They just look less normal in Arsenal than City. It's hard to stand out when Aguero/KDB/Mahrez/Silva are taking the plaudits.

Mudi

Gundogan is not gonna come here to sit on the bench. He either goes to Turkey or stays another 2 years at City.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Gundogan is not gonna come here to sit on the bench. He either goes to Turkey or stays another 2 years at City.

He would for the right contract. Especially if told his starting berth isn’t guaranteed at City next season.

But yeah this probably doesn’t happen.

Mudi

He would for the right contract. Especially if told his starting berth isn’t guaranteed at City next season.

But yeah this probably doesn’t happen.

Gundogan was on the bench for more than 50% of the games. Yet at the end, Pep utilized him as his experience was crucial. What can we offer that they are not able to do so?

Especially if they win the treble, they will have a chance to win 7 trophees next year!

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Robert Redford Nod GIF

IrishGooner93

Captain of man city, the best team in the world . Starts in their midfield and is a fantastic player and rises in the high pressure moments. City trying to restructure their contract offer to keep him and AM hoping they do and doesn't sign for Arsenal.....

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Captain of man city, the best team in the world . Starts in their midfield and is a fantastic player and rises in the high pressure moments. City trying to restructure their contract offer to keep him and AM hoping they do and doesn't sign for Arsenal.....
That’s right. It’s very rare for a player at 32 who has been successful go to a new club and be hungry. He can stay at city because he has connections. But it’s hard to start over at his age

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I am against all of this tbf he is 32 and he might be on holiday for the next 2 years when he join us tbf won everything he could with City. Yes amazing player but the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom