• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Is The Premier League Tougher Than It Used To Be?

Is It?

• Total voters

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Current football is dead, why are people trying to force it’s not? It’s fails the eye test. Boring games, no stars, no thrilling football.

The most boring Arsenal team we have seen since the Graham days, no top players in the current side.

By most metrics this is the best side we've had in pushing 20 years. And we're top goalscorers, least goals conceded etc

Saka, Ødegaard, Rice, Saliba, Gabriel and Rice you wouldn't get laughed at if you brought them up in a conversation about WC players. That's half our side on the fringes of being top, top players and all 25 or under.

There were great Arsenal sides, (the ones that won titles stuff) but I don't wouldn't want to go back to the days of Flamini hacking around, Denilson being useless, Almunia being a clown or Sendeos and Djourou quaking in their boots every time they came up against Drogba.

Bet you loved those sides getting slapped by Mourinho and Fergie though. Major Will Smiths vibes from you as usual.

Thrice

Modern is just different innit. I hate these comparisons.

Just look at defenders. Old school defenders would absolutely school the current gen when it came to 1 on 1 defending. Because modern attackers rarely take defenders on these days. Modern defenders are however much better on the ball and probably more tactically aware because they need to be able to deal with a high press.

The point about fitness I’m with @Dokaka though I think the modern game is much more intense than back in the day even if the overall numbers stack up, there’s more sprints now because of the evolution of the OOP side of the game.
Yeah, I think comparing eras in football (or sports in general) is an exercise in futility. The game has evolved so much tactically and in terms of preparation. Science has become much more prominent in sports and today every Premier League club employs like a dozen sports scientists.
There's more pressure on the players now because everything is overanalyzed. When Wenger joined Arsenal it was almost revolutionary that he expected his players to eat healthy. Now you have nutrition plans everywhere.

Like you said, the roles of players have changed a lot as well. Back in the day defenders were mostly expected to defend and their passing was a nice bonus.
Goalkeepers were shot stoppers and nobody cared how good they were at handling the ball with their feet.
Today if you're not a well-rounded footballer it'll be a real challenge for you to find a niche at the highest level.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
By most metrics this is the best side we've had in pushing 20 years. And we're top goalscorers, least goals conceded etc

Saka, Ødegaard, Rice, Saliba, Gabriel and Rice you wouldn't get laughed at if you brought them up in a conversation about WC players. That's half our side on the fringes of being top, top players and all 25 or under.

There were great Arsenal sides, (the ones that won titles stuff) but I don't wouldn't want to go back to the days of Flamini hacking around, Denilson being useless, Almunia being a clown or Sendeos and Djourou quaking in their boots every time they came up against Drogba.
Goals and points are meaningless in a super league of 6/7 clear front runners against canon fodder. In the days where the league was much more balanced, scoring 80+ points was some achievement! And scoring in every match was off the scale! And not losing a single match was fantasy stuff. That’s how good the Arsenal were!

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Goals and points are meaningless in a super league of 6/7 clear front runners against canon fodder. In the days where the league was much more balanced, scoring 80+ points was some achievement! And scoring in every match was off the scale! And not losing a single match was fantasy stuff. That’s how good the Arsenal were!

This is why I’ve never liked the emphasis on 100 points league table etc. Points doesn’t include the context, or the relative competition at the time.

Football is cyclical like fashion, I don’t think there is a better or worse beyond a certain era. I certainly wouldn’t call this period the golden age of the prem that’s for sure.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Bet you loved those sides getting slapped by Mourinho and Fergie though. Major Will Smiths vibes from you as usual.
Those sides you mention were built with pennies, played great football and helped build the base for the current club by getting CL places and helping pay the debt off. There would be nothing you speak of today if it wasn’t for those sacrifices.

It’s great you’re enjoying set piece FC.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I definitely enjoy the results and the back to back title races.

Everything else I could take it or leave it easily.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I definitely enjoy the results and the back to back title races.

Everything else I could take it or leave it easily.
Yeah, for the money we’ve spent Arteta is maxing out the cash. Good on him! But all this league is getting tougher and OTT angrandisement of acheivements is too much to take for fans who don’t get carried away.

GDeep™

League is very weak

It’s also funny, all these WC players but the team wins nothing. Saliba aside, none are WC.

We have no WC players.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

lol I just deeped our highlight reels are now White antagonising guys in the 6 yard box before crosses.
Hard to believe big Ange never clocked this until the second half. Unai had someone on White from the very first corner. That man’s eyes are square from watching vids over and over.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I agree that comparing goal/points tallies this era to the past is silly for the reasons you say.

You can still compare relative goals scored though - ie being top scorers in the league is just as impressive now as it was then because our rivals have the same advantages as we do.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Those sides you mention were built with pennies, played great football and helped build the base for the current club by getting CL places and helping pay the debt off. There would be nothing you speak of today if it wasn’t for those sacrifices.

It’s great you’re enjoying set piece FC.

So you're not going to refute anything I said?

I never denied Wenger laid the groundwork with those weaker sides. He worked miracles with some absolute dross, we all know that.

But if you'd prefer to watch those sides filled out with bang average players scraping for top 4 over this current side challenging for the title, I don't know what to say.

I bet you were trashing the banter era players back in the day too, along with dizzy, who was one of the few bright spots back then.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Hard to believe big Ange never clocked this until the second half. Unai had someone on White from the very first corner.

Brentford and most prem teams do according to the Athletic. Basaically all the matches we struggled in, I never knew White was this much of a known menace.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Teams were winning this league with 7-9 losses in years past. You have less margin for error in order to win the league today. However, I'm not sure where this entitlement comes from the fans of a club who haven't won it in 20 years and does not have any European pedigree.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Brentford and most prem teams do according to the Athletic. Basaically all the matches we struggled in, I never knew White was this much of a known menace.
He hovers away from the keeper. And then the moment the kick is taken he backs right into him. Everytime.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Teams were winning this league with 7-9 losses in years past. You have less margin for error in order to win the league today. However, I'm not sure where this entitlement comes from the fans of a club who haven't won it in 20 years and does not have any European pedigree.
This happened once, 30 years ago. On average it’s always been 3-5 losses for PL winners. Even today.

You stay out of these conversations, you’re American.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

It’s a good job we won that penalty shoot out against Porto otherwise you guys laughing at our European pedigree would have had sleepless nights after spending €850m in the last 5 years. I felt for you bro.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

However, I'm not sure where this entitlement comes from the fans of a club who haven't won it in 20 years and does not have any European pedigree.

Indeed, we are exactly where we all wished to be years ago.

I don’t feel it’s right to be entitled to majors you need a lot to go your way if you’re not financially doping like City or Chelsea prior.

Yes. A lot tougher as mid to bottom teams have more money and resources. Access to scouting of better, stronger and fitter players. Access to a lot of data.

Players are also better than yesterday players also. We are producing talents that would easily stand out in the old game. The game has shifted and what was demanded of top players in their position is maybe not the same as today but players today are easily at higher level than ever before. Almost in all attributes.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom