• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bagel70

The only manager on the planet I could see having us competing with the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea considering we'll spend less than them, is probably Simeone. There's very little evidence to suggest any of the other names mentioned can really get a team playing to such a level where they can compete with teams who can spend way more than their team can.

Chelsea shouldn't be listed there. They have been spending within their means for few years now and Roman hasn't injected any sugar daddy money later into that squad. All their players are within our price range in transfer amortization In fact, the only reason they are more expensive squad than us now was Wenger's refusal to spend in 2015.

Even if Roman gives them one last donation for their stadium (rumoured), his billion spent really just took them up to our natural level (and above Sp**s and Liverpool). Moving forward we are definitely at Chelsea's level financially. We have done very poorly with commercial deals though and our wage structure is a massive set-back that finally needs to be fixed when Wenger leaves.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Chelsea spent £100 million in 2003 for **** sake and some fans think £80 million in 2017 is enough for us to seriously compete. :lol:
Come off it my man. Chelsea completely revamped their squad.

We're all in universal agreement that the team isn't too far off from challenging in the first plac e. We also have a lot of 'cash cows' in the squad that a new manager could sell.

Chelsea spent something like 80M in 2014 when they brought in Costa, Fabregas and Luis. That was enough to propel them to a title.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Start of the season it's:

Our squad is almost on par with the top clubs. We have arguably the best forward in the league, two of the top five midfielders in the league, a top GK and the best RB in the league with decent depth.

A few months later 100M won't be enough to make us challengers...but I thought we were already challengers?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Come off it my man. Chelsea completely revamped their squad.

We're all in universal agreement that the team isn't too far off from challenging in the first plac e. We also have a lot of 'cash cows' in the squad that a new manager could sell.

Chelsea spent something like 80M in 2014 when they brought in Costa, Fabregas and Luis. That was enough to propel them to a title.

Yeah because the players they already had like Hazard, Oscar, Matic, etc were all free?

You can't look at one isolated window, we've spent over 80 million ONCE in 15 years, Chelsea do it every window. They constantly add and add and add. And they'll add again this summer. Yet you people think all it takes is for us to spend 80 million ONCE and we'll catch up to Chelsea easily...

Newsflash the only players we've bought in recent times of the calibre that'd get into the Chelsea squad are Alexis and Özil, and there's question marks over whether Özil would get in it.

Conte inherited a side that's filled with the 2015 champions and still had a few players from their champions league, fa cup and Europa League wins of 3/4/5 years ago. He's bought on top of already having a team filled with experience, title winners and quality. 80 million is not gonna all of a sudden turn our players from top 4 quality to having what Chelsea have.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

For the record we're MILES off. Cech (current Cech), Monreal, Coquelin, Giroud all being starters is not the stuff of a title winning side to compete with Chelsea. Heck even guys like Xhaka are debatable because he's been nowhere near as good as expected. While guys like Walcott, Ox, Ramsey all get plenty of starts when fit. These guys get nowhere near Chelseas bench (which usually consists of Begovic, Terry, Willian and Fabregas for crying out loud).

If I or anyone else thought we had a squad quality of seriously winning the title then I or anyone else was just being deluded or going OTT off the back of a good few games.

Chelsea are about a decade ahead of us, in 2006 they had a title winning side and haven't stopped adding to it since then, hence why they've had constant success since then. We've been quite slowly (in comparison to the three big sides) building our side since 2013 by adding one or sometimes two quality players each summer. We're playing a completely different game to a team like Chelsea here. It's not just about going "hurr look we spent more than Chelsea last summer why are we complaining?", Chelsea already had a quality side with very few real weaknesses, they just happened to be very poor the previous season.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
In the end, whomever takes over after Wenger I don't care who it is

heck I would have welcomed Mourinho last season if he had brought Zlatan with him ;)

But I do wish for a manager who isn't so god damn stubborn!

We have no tactical options, it is ALWAYS the same regardless if it is Sutton or Bayern. and that is not just reasonable

Preacher

Always Crying
IMO, current Wenger doesn't extract the best from majority of the players or in other cases has to much faith in some players, who constantly let him down. Sell them, get money, add a little bit and buy better players. Recent history tells me, that stability doesn't help us. And btw money can't buy mental toughness, which according to Wenger is the main cause why we are failing.
It's waste of time to compare players individually from different environments. At the end of the day we're talking about team game.

Last edited:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
IMO, current Wenger doesn't extract the best from majority of the players or in other cases has to much faith in some players, who constantly let him down. Sell them, get money, add a little bit and buy better players. Recent history tells me, that stability doesn't help us. And btw money can't buy mental toughness, which according to Wenger is the main cause why we are failling.
It's waste of time to compare players individually from different environments. At the end of the day we're talking about team game.

true.
Conte even makes Moses look like a good player.
meanwhile Özil under Wenger has been mainly disappointing.

WhatAFC

true.
Conte even makes Moses look like a good player.
meanwhile Özil under Wenger has been mainly disappointing.
Moses is extremely motivated as he's finally getting a proper opportunity at a chelsea. That together with the position and system has seen him put in some good consistent performances.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Chelsea shouldn't be listed there. They have been spending within their means for few years now and Roman hasn't injected any sugar daddy money later into that squad. All their players are within our price range in transfer amortization In fact, the only reason they are more expensive squad than us now was Wenger's refusal to spend in 2015.

Even if Roman gives them one last donation for their stadium (rumoured), his billion spent really just took them up to our natural level (and above Sp**s and Liverpool). Moving forward we are definitely at Chelsea's level financially. We have done very poorly with commercial deals though and our wage structure is a massive set-back that finally needs to be fixed when Wenger leaves.
Chelsea accounts are all smoke and mirrors. They have no financial debt at all. Their holding company Fordstam has a £1 billion interest free loan from Abramovic's Russian Co. Which also means they have no hefty interest payments like Arsenal.

We've paid £275milion in interest and loan payments in the last 7 years and in that time they've been able to invest over £100 million gross per season on players. Let that sink in.

And they are about to embark on a half £ billion stadium funded entirely by Abramovic. He is also improving their training facilities at Cobham from his own pocket.

Chelsea should definitely be listed with a United and City.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

For the record we're MILES off. Cech (current Cech), Monreal, Coquelin, Giroud all being starters is not the stuff of a title winning side to compete with Chelsea. Heck even guys like Xhaka are debatable because he's been nowhere near as good as expected. While guys like Walcott, Ox, Ramsey all get plenty of starts when fit. These guys get nowhere near Chelseas bench (which usually consists of Begovic, Terry, Willian and Fabregas for crying out loud).

If I or anyone else thought we had a squad quality of seriously winning the title then I or anyone else was just being deluded or going OTT off the back of a good few games.

Chelsea are about a decade ahead of us, in 2006 they had a title winning side and haven't stopped adding to it since then, hence why they've had constant success since then. We've been quite slowly (in comparison to the three big sides) building our side since 2013 by adding one or sometimes two quality players each summer. We're playing a completely different game to a team like Chelsea here. It's not just about going "hurr look we spent more than Chelsea last summer why are we complaining?", Chelsea already had a quality side with very few real weaknesses, they just happened to be very poor the previous season.
This

People making out that we're similar to Chelsea in financial terms are just trolling. We are getting much closer, but the financial gap over the last 10 years or so has been cavernous. See my last post.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Yeah because the players they already had like Hazard, Oscar, Matic, etc were all free?

You can't look at one isolated window, we've spent over 80 million ONCE in 15 years, Chelsea do it every window. They constantly add and add and add. And they'll add again this summer. Yet you people think all it takes is for us to spend 80 million ONCE and we'll catch up to Chelsea easily...

Newsflash the only players we've bought in recent times of the calibre that'd get into the Chelsea squad are Alexis and Özil, and there's question marks over whether Özil would get in it.

Conte inherited a side that's filled with the 2015 champions and still had a few players from their champions league, fa cup and Europa League wins of 3/4/5 years ago. He's bought on top of already having a team filled with experience, title winners and quality. 80 million is not gonna all of a sudden turn our players from top 4 quality to having what Chelsea have.
You're arguing a point I never made.

First XI v first XI there's hardly a difference in player quality between us and Chelsea. If we spent 80M in a window on staters (with old starters becoming squad players) we would be able to compete with Chelsea.

Why have you moved the goalposts to saying that 80M is enough to have what Chelsea have? And why are you being so damn patronising? :/

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You're arguing a point I never made.

First XI v first XI there's hardly a difference in player quality between us and Chelsea. If we spent 80M in a window on staters (with old starters becoming squad players) we would be able to compete with Chelsea.

Why have you moved the goalposts to saying that 80M is enough to have what Chelsea have? And why are you being so damn patronising? :/
First XI v First XI there's a massive gulf between us and Chelsea. They've spent on average over a £100m gross per season over the last 7 years.

Preacher

Always Crying
Arsène said this last summer:
"Manchester United are the richest club in the world along with Real Madrid," he said. "Not many people can compete with their finances but that doesn’t make the difference because at the moment on the pitch we can compete.
"That is the most important thing. It’s not a financial competition, football is a performance competition.

"We try to compete at our level with all the assets we have and we try to compete with them. We showed that last Sunday [when they beat Manchester City 3-2 in a friendly]."

I'm tired of reading all this endless excuses about money. Our manager doesn't hide behind that. It's time to assess our team and manager by performances on the pitch.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Arsène said this last summer:
"Manchester United are the richest club in the world along with Real Madrid," he said. "Not many people can compete with their finances but that doesn’t make the difference because at the moment on the pitch we can compete.
"That is the most important thing. It’s not a financial competition, football is a performance competition.

"We try to compete at our level with all the assets we have and we try to compete with them. We showed that last Sunday [when they beat Manchester City 3-2 in a friendly]."

I'm tired of reading all this endless excuses about money. Our manager doesn't hide behind that. It's time to assess our team and manager by performances on the pitch.
What do you expect the club to say, 'We're can afford the 4 th most expensive squad and therefore should come fourth in the league'.

That's what the board know, but they want to portray themselves as a superclub.

Before every battle there's always bluster.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

First XI v First XI there's a massive gulf between us and Chelsea. They've spent on average over a £100m gross per season over the last 7 years.
Cech v Courtois

Luiz Cahill Azpi Alonso Moses v Bellerin Kos Mustafi Monreal

Cazorla Coq v Kante Matic

Özil Walcott Iwobi Sanchez v Hazard Pedro Costa

Is that really a massive gulf? I know you like to talk about money a lot but let's look at the guys who play the football? Tell me that 80M spent with no outgoings wouldn't make that even closer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom