• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Tottenham | 22/04/06

RockyRocastle

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Quite funny to watch the amount of people that have insisted Reyes is a left winger, inspite of what the Sevilla fans on our forum say, despite what their own eyes tell them and then express amazement when he's so poor there.

It's really simple, he ain't a left winger.

Why Wenger bought a seventeen million quid forward only to turn him into a two bob winger, Christ only knows. Reyes will not make it here as a winger. The sooner we all realise that, the better.

If he isnt a left winger then why does Wenger continue to play him there? If it is so obvious then surely the staff at Arsenal would be able to see this?

You put him up front and you would get the same results.

he would still work hard and close people down, he would still put in the odd great pass and bit of skill, but he still wouldnt beat his man, he would still fall on his arse, he still wouldnt score goals, he would still be inconsistent and still frustrate the **** out of me.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
You put him up front and you would get the same results.

Well suggestions from that Sevilla fan may point otherwise.

This is what I think about it from that other Reyes Winger thread: http://www.arsenal-mania.com/forum/view ... p?p=522483

'I'm in two minds - I think he's great as a forward, the partnership with RvP is good, and he has the abilities to be a truely world class striker when Henry leaves.

But he hasn't yet.

And those pinpoint 60 yard passes to the forwards are just TOO good.'

For me playing with Thierry for two years has shredded the boy's confidence and Wenger continues to play him on the wing because of Henry.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Leave it up to Wenger whateve he decides is good enough for me. Jose might not be a natural winger but Wenger likes his wingers to come infield and bring the full backs into play. Both our Reyes and Hleb were used to roles coming through the middle of the field . I guess he is trying to convert both of them into wingers.

Guillermo

It's a shame really, because Wenger had the perfect opportunity to give Reyes a chance upfront with Robin Van Persie (a partnership that briefly seemed to click last season), as he felt Henry warranted resting.

Though Reyes may not have been given his chance as Wenger feels that whilst we lack a 'true' left-back, we need the extra protection supplied by Reyes in left-midfield.

I'm unsure.

Gurgen

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
RocktheCasbah said:
Quite funny to watch the amount of people that have insisted Reyes is a left winger, inspite of what the Sevilla fans on our forum say, despite what their own eyes tell them and then express amazement when he's so poor there.

Why Wenger bought a seventeen million quid forward only to turn him into a two bob winger, Christ only knows. Reyes will not make it here as a winger. The sooner we all realise that, the better.

If he isnt a left winger then why does Wenger continue to play him there? If it is so obvious then surely the staff at Arsenal would be able to see this?

The staff at Arsenal miss more obvious things. Like the fact that resting Henry and Cesc has ruined our chances of CL football next year.

Personally I don't think they believe in Reyes anymore.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Gurgen said:
RockyRocastle said:
RocktheCasbah said:

The staff at Arsenal miss more obvious things. Like the fact that resting Henry and Cesc has ruined our chances of CL football next year.

Personally I don't think they believe in Reyes anymore.

How come ?

Personally in the 2nd striker position I think that he is still our best option .

Gurgen

Established Member
Wenger is no mug, and he knows Reyes' best position is up front, behind the main striker. Since Henry refuses to move/stay in the box when partnered with Reyes, RvP scores more goals and Adebayor is a giant Togoan I think Reyes is just put on the left until Wenger decides what to do with him.

Sammer

Established Member
Let´s look at Hleb for a comparison.

I think the problem with Reyes is, that he struggles with physical opposition (which is basically what you get in the EPL), while Hleb seems to have more means to cope with various situations.

Reyes remains a great player with great skill, but I simply cannot believe that the only problem is that Wenger plays him out of position. He does have good games, but for every good game Reyes playes there seems to be at least a bad one.

I feel it has more to do with (remember the history, the antics of the fake phone call etc.) difficulty to adapting to England in the beginning and more importantly the style of play in the EPL.

BannedKwame

Sammer said:
Let´s look at Hleb for a comparison.

I think the problem with Reyes is, that he struggles with physical opposition (which is basically what you get in the EPL), while Hleb seems to have more means to cope with various situations.

Reyes remains a great player with great skill, but I simply cannot believe that the only problem is that Wenger plays him out of position. He does have good games, but for every good game Reyes playes there seems to be at least a bad one.

I feel it has more to do with (remember the history, the antics of the fake phone call etc.) difficulty to adapting to England in the beginning and more importantly the style of play in the EPL.
Good point.

Besides, people have been making way too much of the stretch of games from two years ago when in the absence of Vieira we demolished teams(Reyes scoring in almost every game). The opposition was quite simply, weak and fearful.

In a 4-5-1, I would play Reyes as a left winger, as he offers pace, passing, and amazing workrate. In a 4-4-2, I'd play him as a forward, in a squad rotation system. The problem is until RvP or Adebayor becomes prolific enough to offset the lacking goals from everyone excepting Henry, we have no choice but to stick him in the left.

In anycase, that Reyes stays or goes depends mostly on the development of Walcott. Yes, Reyes has been a disappointment, considering his talent, but then you get disappointed only when you set expectations.

Jimbo14

reyes

reyes is f*****g useless

I completely disagree, he's a constant thorn in the oppositions side whoever he play!! He played a great pass to RVP on saturday that robin cudda finished!!
he's best on the left or behind our front men i think!! :roll:

Viper

Established Member
Since its unlikely that he'll have a place up front, Reyes should play RW. He is was extremely good against Fulham and that was down to the fact he was playing on the right side, when he switched wings with Hleb. Reyes seems to be more useful cutting inside instead of running by the byline and then just passing it back..

Reyes' performance on the right reminds me of how Messi played against Chelsea...

>YounGunner<

Established Member
When Reyes is confidant he can score goals remember last season? 6 goals in 6 games. To get his confidance back we must play him in his correct position not just for one or two games but give him a long run of matches and then if he performs we will have a Reyes full of confidance.

Reyes has the potential to be one of the best players in the world as a youngster at Sevilla he was much better then Rooney and Rooneys a great talent.

Jimbo14

exactly, next season i think he will play a major role in our season, as long as he's given the chance

beanz

Aussie said:
Reyes is f****g useless. What exactly does he do.

Some players threaten as if there about to do something special.

He just never looks like doing anything. Complete waste of bloody space.
I really had high hopes for Jose, he looked to have so much potential, but he's been quite disappointing, there's rarely an end product to his play and you can almost see the confidence draining from him with each game.
There's no doubting his effort and commitment which is admirable under the circumstances, but it's frustrating for him, his team mates and all the fans who want to see a return on the large investment made.
Arsène doesn't often get it wrong in the transfer market but young Reyes will have to sharpen up or ship out.

Rohit

Established Member
longrufus said:
Because he wouldnt score enough to warrent a start up front. His best position is behind the front 2, a playmaker, however this position is not played in the EPL, but in Spain and Italy

SO ??

We have played our best football in the past 3-4 seasons with Bergkamp playing up with Henry.We have been the top goal scorers in the premiership for the past 4 seasons playing with that same combination.How many goals has Bergkamp contributed in this period ??
Has Bergkamp ever played as a conventional centre forward in that period ???

Can we not say that dropping that system and playing two conventional centre forwards is partially accountable for the lack of goals from midfield ???

sidtheyid

KEANO. THERES ONLY ONE KEANO

Sing, sing, wherever you may be
we outplayed the gooners at highbury
Wenger is a f*cking cheat
and we're going to put him on an electric seat

Nickáó

Oh dear. Another pathetic Spuds fan who can't take the fact that they never have and never will have a player with the class of Thierry. Have a good time in the UEFA cup next season :lol:

Someone ban this ass clown before I die of laughter.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom