• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-18s Thread

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Kid is ruining his Arsenal career. Keep this up and you will never get near an Arteta team. Arteta don’t want a guy who scored too many goals and want his players to share the goals. He doesn’t wanna share

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Kid is ruining his Arsenal career. Keep this up and you will never get near an Arteta team. Arteta don’t want a guy who scored too many goals and want his players to share the goals. He doesn’t wanna share
He shared at the end!

Honestly, he's either gonna turn out to be the perfect CF or a complete dud and nothing inbetween. It's not like his link-up is bad, it's actually really good for his age. Does a lot of good work deep on the field, runs the channels and is an aggressive dribbler too. For a big guy he's good in closed spaces. The goals are what give him the massive edge really, because he's doing all that other bullsh*t and still scoring buckets of goals. I just read the match report and it sounds like he could have had double the goals he had today. That's scary to think about. I think part of it is that the team has gained an extra gear in attack through new personnel, along with Obi taking his time to get comfortable and really coming into his own in the last few months.

I don't expect Obi to start scoring 4 per game at U21 level. In fact, I think the first few months he'll struggle - it's pretty much how he got on at the start of this season. He got a hattrick vs Villa and then calmed down a bit (although, again I must stress that the team is a little different now to that team). He'll still have a pretty strong team to play with though. Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly as his support cast as I doubt they'll be on loan, and he has a good relationship with Osman Kamara and Ismael Kabia - two very quick and dangerous wingers. I reckon it'll be a while before we see anything like his current exploits - but I wouldn't be surprised if he hits the ground running either, such is his confidence right now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Is he that good? We're not blowing him up into something unattainable?
If he was Brazilian, 50m would defo be the going rate for either Obi or Dowman. It's not so much how good they are but paying for potential. These guys have an astronomically high ceiling based on what they're currently doing at this level for their age. Dowman's already a starter for the U18s as an U14 player, Obi is already breaking goalscoring records as a schoolboy aswell. He won't play a minute of u18 football next season unless it's the Youth Cup, I'm sure of it. Whether he gets to the level we think he will get to is all up to him and the universe. We'll have to see but he's doing something that nobody else has done. I've seen people say "Oh we saw Akpom score tons of goals. We all saw Balogun. Nketiah was scoring for fun at this level. Look what happened to JET" etc etc. I remember all of them and I was massive fans of all of them. I'm telling everyone right now: NONE of them were doing anything close to this. None. Balogun's record happened when he was a 2nd year. Nketiah scored a lot of goals but not to this frequency, neither did Akpom. And JET, for all his brilliance, wasn't that prolific, but he was extremely skilful and had a big frame. Also, he was originally a defender/midfielder so he was fairly unique in his own right. None of them were doing what Chido Martin Obi is doing currently.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

If he was Brazilian, 50m would defo be the going rate for either Obi or Dowman. It's not so much how good they are but paying for potential. These guys have an astronomically high ceiling based on what they're currently doing at this level for their age. Dowman's already a starter for the U18s as an U14 player, Obi is already breaking goalscoring records as a schoolboy aswell. He won't play a minute of u18 football next season unless it's the Youth Cup, I'm sure of it. Whether he gets to the level we think he will get to is all up to him and the universe. We'll have to see but he's doing something that nobody else has done. I've seen people say "Oh we saw Akpom score tons of goals. We all saw Balogun. Nketiah was scoring for fun at this level. Look what happened to JET" etc etc. I remember all of them and I was massive fans of all of them. I'm telling everyone right now: NONE of them were doing anything close to this. None. Balogun's record happened when he was a 2nd year. Nketiah scored a lot of goals but not to this frequency, neither did Akpom. And JET, for all his brilliance, wasn't that prolific, but he was extremely skilful and had a big frame. Also, he was originally a defender/midfielder so he was fairly unique in his own right. None of them were doing what Chido Martin Obi is doing currently.
Yeah if he was Brazilian he would be famous by now all across the world without any senior football. I agree full time U21 player next season and if he does well there he will make his debut late next season. I think the only negative for him is Arteta is not a brave manager

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I know you keep a closer look at the youth players than most of us.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah if he was Brazilian he would be famous by now all across the world without any senior football. I agree full time U21 player next season and if he does well there he will make his debut late next season. I think the only negative for him is Arteta is not a brave manager
Thank you for the comprehensive reply. I know you keep a closer look at the youth players than most of us.
There's still a ton for him to do, even with this magnificent record this season. U18 is nothing compared to first team football. The aforementioned players in my post all had varying degrees of success and only one of them has stayed at Arsenal for the majority of their career so far, and is likely leaving this Summer because it's hard to be Arsenal's #9. The cannon is heavy. So while the ceiling is astronomical, there's no guarantee that Obi will ever reach it. U21s is not even the beginning.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

There's still a ton for him to do, even with this magnificent record this season. U18 is nothing compared to first team football. The aforementioned players in my post all had varying degrees of success and only one of them has stayed at Arsenal for the majority of their career so far, and is likely leaving this Summer because it's hard to be Arsenal's #9. The cannon is heavy. So while the ceiling is astronomical, there's no guarantee that Obi will ever reach it. U21s is not even the beginning.
I get that. But it also depends on what his manager chose to do. Yamal was picked from youth team football to Barca first team. He made 1 appearance for Barca B. Mainoo is another with next to no U21 experience. Some manager sees a young player and says I want him in the first team. Most managers in Man U position would not have given Mainoo a chance in the situation they were in

Sulosky

"And Obi..."

senator-palpatine-anakin-skywalker.gif

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Greenwood was a supposed youth prodigy but at u18s had 3 more goals in 12 more matches. What this kid has done in the last 2 months in terms of elevating his level and impact is crazy.

4 goals in his first 7 90 mins worth of playing time (all in one game) 24 goals in his next 7 90s mins. Its like he's suddenly levelled up, but by multiple levels.

24 goals in his last 7 games!!!! Hope he's got a good background & support network to keep him grounded, because the hype is going to be MENTAL

Badger_Revenge

I've never seen anyone score like this kid in his last seven matches, period. It's insane. I imagine it probably does have a lot to do with the team around him, but this kid's composure in front of goal must be preternatural. Long may it last. Wish him all the luck possible going forward.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You have to debut him, if we are cruising against Bournemouth or Everton you have to debut him.
Hasn't even been called up to U21s in the midst of his exploits. He has played for them this season though, but only once off the bench. He didn't do anything of note but someone I know who was there said "someone that big shouldn't be that quick". You don't notice it but he really eats up the ground when he runs.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom