• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL - Arsenal vs Sunderland. 20th May 2015, 19.45 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonade

Established Member
I don't see how Giroud's to blame. We have top playmakers yet Giroud isn't really getting the chances.
Not blaming, just commenting. Giroud has had his chances and either his touch was off, he missed the goal, the keeper saved it or it was blocked. He probably "should" have finished a couple of those (the last 4 games or so), so he'll get some stick for that.
On top of that though, is he's just not moving in the box as much or working as hard as he seems to need to to find space--he just looks worn out from battling 4 guys in the box for every ball, and who wouldn't be? The player needs a break, imho.

KAB

Giroud has seasonal trend. Once he scores, he will score in every match. Otherwise once stopped, he will find it hard to start score again

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Happy to have secured third, however our form is not looking good heading into the FA Cup final. We need that trophy to call it a successful season.

We haven't secured third. We're 3 points ahead and have a +7 GD advantage over ManUre, but should we lose and they secure a large win in our last games they can leapfrog us. Should have won tonight so we could play some kids on Saturday, but now we don't have that option.

VancouverCanuck

Well if we're saying the match against Swansea was a one off (we were well positioned for 2nd going into that one) and this one was because of lack of motivation, as opposed to other reasons, such as having troubles against parked buses, lack of rotation catching up with us, etc., then fair enough. The main issue though is readiness and realism to win the PL next season.
I think the last 4 matches demonstrates we are still far from being able to mount a title challenge.

Chelsea was able to win these type of matches during their run in. Sure they got a few lucky bounces but you also need to be good to be lucky.

Iceman10

Established Member
I think the last 4 matches demonstrates we are still far from being able to mount a title challenge.

Chelsea was able to win these type of matches during their run in. Sure they got a few lucky bounces but you also need to be good to be lucky.
Just realised a large part of my negativity coming out of this one was subconscious carry over from the first half at Old Trafford which brought up the old issues of mentality and leadership on the pitch. Add those to lack of rotation and how to play against parked buses (ironically we tend to be better in the main now when ceding possession, but as ever there is that lack of Plan B/C), and multiple weak points that I was hoping had been diminished seem to have returned to the fore over these last four matches. Sure there can be poor runs of form now and again but some doubts have returned.

Add the cherry on top: the "tired" excuse (from AW, not cannonade) when only he is to blame for that (not using the squad effectively), we've hardly had a deep run in the CL to manage with everything else, for much of the last couple of months we've only played once a week.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
So basically Rosicky came on and showed Özil and Cazorla how it's done, but because he's 34 and didn't cost 42.5m he can stay on the bench. Rosicky plays with energy and drive, whilst Özil.... doesn't. Yet Rosicky's the one getting linked with the deadest league around: the MLS.

If Rosicky and Walcott had started that game we would've won. They injected energy and desire, making intelligent runs and demonstrating some nice link up in dangerous areas, not just slowly passing it around outside the box with no penetration.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
We've all been here before - Arsenal built up some decent momentum but inevitably, lose it by drawing/losing a game. Then it takes us a couple of games to regain confidence and form again.

It's always the same, as far as Wenger's Arsenal goes.

vP3rcy

The one thing I will remember most from this game is how underused and undervalued Walcott and Rosicky have been recently (and for Rozza the whole season basically) in what could be these two's final seasons for us. I just don't understand why Wenger would field a team full of players who have absolutly zero intention to move off the ball. And by move, I don't mean stroll around. Ramsey was sort of our DM yesterday and he was(like most matches) the one making the runs. It's criminal really. And we can expect to see much more of it with Wenger fitting Jack, Aaron, Mesut and Santi all in one team. And besides them, Alexis wants the ball at his feet, too, and Giroud is a useless wall.

Tugberk

Guys,

Help out a fellow Arsenal fan here. I am coming from Germany to watch Arsenal WBA game on 24th.. Could not find any ticket.. As I am about to live Europe soon, this might be my last chance.

Can you help me find one single ticket?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Their keeper did make some good stops, especially the trademark near post Giroud flick.

Only other chance for Giroud was that Bellerin cross in the first half.

I don't think we were as bad as people make out, played some good football. Just tiredness played a large part, although a bit worrying considering we have a final still to play.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
So we are crawling our way to 3rd position, barring a big loss to WBA we should be ok. In some ways I'm pleased we are not storming our way to 2nd place, and that players like Giroud are off form as it highlights (hopefully to Wenger) how badly we need a top striker. Having said that, Walcott was the best he's been since his injury, he gets into positions Giroud can only dream about, this may well be the precursor to Wenger claiming Walcott is like a new signing. I think we may see his contract sorted quite soon but I still want a top striker!

Edson

So basically Rosicky came on and showed Özil and Cazorla how it's done, but because he's 34 and didn't cost 42.5m he can stay on the bench. Rosicky plays with energy and drive, whilst Özil.... doesn't. Yet Rosicky's the one getting linked with the deadest league around: the MLS.

If Rosicky and Walcott had started that game we would've won. They injected energy and desire, making intelligent runs and demonstrating some nice link up in dangerous areas, not just slowly passing it around outside the box with no penetration.

Your dead right, I've been saying that most of the season, Rosicky > Özil. He has more drive and energy

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Hilarious post.

Rosicky was on the bench because he's ****, and past it. Of course he showed energy, he played 10 minutes against tired legs, ffs, that's the least thing he could do.

Yeah, sure we would, you know that of course. Captain hindsight to the rescue! Both are average players otherwise they would've played more. Wenger sees them in training every day.

vP3rcy

Yeah basically this. Disregard my post ;)

It reallt does my head in how they were on the bench. And not just for tactical reasons (which should be enough to play them) but also considering after the damn match Arsène's excuse is fatique and being a bit jaded. What the actual hell??! Play those two then..

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Ox being out so long hurt our season massively imo. He is one of very few players we have that are actually direct. Our football is bull **** at the moment, the very same square and slow build up that has lead to failure the last 10 years in the league.

It's actually incredible that we line up with Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Özil and Giroud in the same team - so foolish. Hope we sign a pacey striker or direct winger this summer. Alexis alone isn't nearly enough in a team of Hlebs!

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ox being out so long hurt our season massively imo. He is one of very few players we have that are actually direct. Our football is bull **** at the moment, the very same square and slow build up that has lead to failure the last 10 years in the league.

It's actually incredible that we line up with Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Özil and Giroud in the same team - so foolish. Hope we sign a pacey striker or direct winger this summer. Alexis alone isn't nearly enough in a team of Hlebs!

This is the most frustrating aspect for me. I can't understand Wenger's philosophy, of just sticking as many attacking midfielders on the pitch, with them being out of position and thinking that it will somehow click. Positions actually have meaning in football. It is no coincidence that we look the most solid and dangerous when we have a direct right winger on the right, Sanchez on the left, a defensive midfielder, a central midfielder and ONE attacking midfielder.

I switched on the game 10 minutes in and couldn't believe the line up. Efficiency needs to be taken into account when creating chances. Özil, Sanchez, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey and Giroud vs 9 outfield players and a goalkeeper, doesn't stack the odds in our favour. Even if you include Bellerin and Gibbs they still outnumber us, add to that we have one player in Sanchez who looks to get in behind, with the occasional run from Özil, bar an error, the probability of us scoring is extremely low. They are happy to sit deep and take their chances defending the cross.

This is where we miss the Ox as he can beat a man 1v1 and open up spaces and drag players out of position. I don't care how good a side you are technically or how good their passing is, you will always need one man to beat the defender consistently throughout a match. Walcott is not that player. Ox is capable, but injured. This is why someone like Sterling would offer us something different. As he has more guile than any of our players. This is why Hazard is so important to Chelsea, why Messi was the most important cog in Guardiola's Barca, why you can't simply have runners off the ball. You need dribblers i you are going to surround them with so many play makers.

There is just not justification in how we approach a game and how we set up. It will only work when teams stupidly give us space and we should only assume that 10% of the time.

TriniGunner

If we get rid of Rosicky, I think I'd cry. Ever since the he first joined the club he's been one of my favorite players. There's always a positive approach to the game when he's on the pitch...he drives forward, makes runs and defends when he needs to. I can't for the life of me wonder why would Wenger shut him out of the team when he was doing so well for us. I really don't care about his age, he adds much needed tempo to our game when we're trying to breakdown teams that come to defend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale has agreed to join Newcastle this summer [Sky Sports News]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Latest posts

Top Bottom