• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Chelsea v Arsenal - 19/09/15 - 12:45pm - BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolution

Wenger should be embarrassed by how he cannot beat Mourinho and the indiscipline of his own team.

http://www.dailynewsservice.co.uk/why-wenger-cannot-beat-jose-mourinho/
That is an appalling record. Disservice that the media even call this a rivalry.

Wenger should be embarrassed by his players conduct.

Not at all impressed by Chelsea, but they seem to have Arsenal's number. Now if Arsenal took their chances early on this might have been a game. But they didn't unfortunately.

General

Established Member
That is an appalling record. Disservice that the media even call this a rivalry.

Wenger should be embarrassed by his players conduct.

Not at all impressed by Chelsea, but they seem to have Arsenal's number. Now if Arsenal took their chances early on this might have been a game. But they didn't unfortunately.

This is because we have allowed the pattern of recent games against Chelsea to be dictated by game defining incidents, whether it's poorly timed injuries, penalties or red cards. Last year we conceded an early penalty and it was downhill from there. We've carried too many handicaps through these games and its undermined our ability to get a result. Saturday was our best chance and we were level going into half time. But then one of our players decides to behave like a petulant little kid and completely ruins any momentum we were gaining, Mike Dean's incompetence notwithstanding.

There was a time before all this oil money and when Ken Bates (Google him) was their owner when Chelsea couldn't beat us for all the tea in China.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

This is one of the rare football incidents whereby everyone (refs, supporters of other clubs included) is absolutely disgusted by a player's actions. This is so one sided and clear cut it makes Dean's refereeing even more ridiculous. Even Chelsea fans can't stand Costa's cheating antics.

Chelsea fans are also shocked Gabriel got a red card.

I just seen this replay and I'm gob smacked the referee could see anything , it was a nothing incident , you couldn't not be sure it was a lash out a Costa no bloody way . It's unbelievable .

Last edited:

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Gabriel was fairly dumb, never a red but he completely fell for it. And fans applauding him when he went off the pitch for giving it to Costa are dumb as well. Cost us the game, but yay he got done by Costa's usual game of winding up woo.

General

Established Member
Gabriel was fairly dumb, never a red but he completely fell for it. And fans applauding him when he went off the pitch for giving it to Costa are dumb as well. Cost us the game, but yay he got done by Costa's usual game of winding up woo.

It was a red, according to the rules of the game. Mike Dean's biggest flaw is his regular failure to apply the obvious common sense required in this scenario, especially in games involving Arsenal. Gabriel completely had no feel for the occasion and possibly didn't understand what was at stake and the fact that we were up against one of our major rivals. He was more interested in settling a personal score than thinking with his head. Look at it this way - if you were given the opportunity to play because the team's first choice defender was out, you'd focus on proving yourself first before getting involved in any petty squabbles.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I knew Dean was going to do something dumb when he lost control of Costa in 3 minutes. Costa dived / tripped over himself and waved a fake yellow yet didn't get booked.

The worst quality a ref can have is to let players and the occasion get to them. It happened with Grioud, the ref got wound up by Giroud and rightly gave him a yellow for being a **** but wrongly let it get to him so he was LOOKING for Giroud to do the tiniest thing wrong so he could send him off. That's all kinds of messed up, you can't be sending players off like that when crazy money rides on the outcome.

Referees should have control, that's fine and correct. But they need to have the support of video technology to help them. I don't think they should ever be in a position where they look a fool, because they just completely lose control and respect on the pitch. We all know the officials have much more respect in other sports - it's time to catch up.

Last edited:

General

Established Member
I knew we were in trouble when I got to the pub and found out he was the ref. We will easily be collecting 5-10points extra a season when he ****s off into retirement.

Revolution

This is because we have allowed the pattern of recent games against Chelsea to be dictated by game defining incidents, whether it's poorly timed injuries, penalties or red cards. Last year we conceded an early penalty and it was downhill from there. We've carried too many handicaps through these games and its undermined our ability to get a result. Saturday was our best chance and we were level going into half time. But then one of our players decides to behave like a petulant little kid and completely ruins any momentum we were gaining, Mike Dean's incompetence notwithstanding.

There was a time before all this oil money and when Ken Bates (Google him) was their owner when Chelsea couldn't beat us for all the tea in China.
That was then, this is now. Chelsea had to wait something like ten years to get their first league win over Arsenal. And don't need to Google a person I'm all too familiar with.

But Chelsea's record was poor with a string of managers. The point I was highlighting was Wenger's record against Mourinho. Which is frankly poor considering the media like to perpetuate their rivalry.

Games like these rest on decisive moments, which is what Mourinho wants. As long as his team withstands Arsenal's early pressure, they have enough to recover. It's no coincidence the games in which Arsenal looked likeliest to beat Chelsea (Dec 2004, Dec 2006, Carling Cup final), the team took the lead. And in the Community Shield, albeit non-competitive, Chelsea ran out of ideas chasing the match.

eye4goal

Established Member
We've not even scored a goal in the five PL games against Mourinho. Defensively I think we're starting to look like a top team with Coquelin infront of the CBs, but Özil, Ramsey and Cazorla flopped again in a big game. One of them has to sit out these games or maybe two even, but its never going to happen.

onetowatch

Tbf most top managers have a similar record against Mourinho. I think even the big daddy Fergie only beat him once. The guy is a **** but he gets his teams prepared really well for the big clashes.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It was a red, according to the rules of the game. Mike Dean's biggest flaw is his regular failure to apply the obvious common sense required in this scenario, especially in games involving Arsenal. Gabriel completely had no feel for the occasion and possibly didn't understand what was at stake and the fact that we were up against one of our major rivals. He was more interested in settling a personal score than thinking with his head. Look at it this way - if you were given the opportunity to play because the team's first choice defender was out, you'd focus on proving yourself first before getting involved in any petty squabbles.
Well that's upto the manager to instill that purpose. For all the qualities we do have more often than not it's the ones we don't have that lose us games.

Ruthlessness, aggression, passion and belief.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
Tbf most top managers have a similar record against Mourinho. I think even the big daddy Fergie only beat him once. The guy is a **** but he gets his teams prepared really well for the big clashes.

Its style match ups. Mourinho probably has a losing record to Pardew and Benitez

General

Established Member
It's a match up of styles, one manager goes for expression and the other relies on power and intensity. The reason why the record is heavily skewed in Mourinho's favour is that he's quite simply had the better team in recent years and has had the players do deploy the power play approach we've struggled againt. But they are a team on a decline, now with a soft underbelly and for once we look more than a physical match. I believe we are much closer to them that the record suggsts which all makes Ssaturday's result the more disappoiing. Mourinho doesn't have another Lampard, Terry or Drogba to save his skin and has a major rebuilding job on his hands, similar to the one Wenger faced post invincible era.

Last edited:

onetowatch

Its style match ups. Mourinho probably has a losing record to Pardew and Benitez

But Pep has a better head to head than him, and he's a different style.

Pulis and Pardew aren't better managers than Wenger and Fergie but imo Mourinho's teams have an extra edge in the big games. He gets them up for it.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Gabriel's red card rescinded which is justice, but I'm even more angry now at the bloody result. I want to see Dean humiliated for his incoherence and Costa with a 10 match bam!
I don't remember ever being so angry at the result of a match and everyone involved in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Latest posts

Top Bottom