• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: He came, he saw, he conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A Benyayoun/Özil comparison was and will always be ridiculous.

It's not when you add boring context to it though. It was never a direct comparison of their abilities as players. I've made that clear more than once, even if it makes things less funny.

You only have to compare my posts in their respective transfer threads. You wont see me going silly over the arrival of ****ing Benayoun!

If someone isn't performing the way you think they should, or are capable of, then a flippant comment something like "he's as useful as [insert name of sh!t player]" is apt at the time, if that's as useful, or good, as they are then.

Sun Ra

I don't think it will ever be as bad. He's shown what many, if not all, wanted to see now. He's adapted physically and mentally--as he and Wenger have said themselves--and he knows what he himself is capable of in this league. Once he drops off, it will be just another player losing a bit of form. It's expected.
The thing is that most of the posts quoted here were written in September 2015.
After Özil came back in January he had a very decent run of games, scoring and assisting regularly. He was praised for his performances eg. against Liverpool, got a POTM award, was pivotal in our second cup win in two years. People were saying he had finally arrived and were expecting great things for the 2015/16 season.

Yet after a few mediocre performances in August and September, none of this seemed to matter. It was as if he had never ever performed decently in an Arsenal shirt, he just didn't fit in, needed to be sold asap etc.

That's why I'm doubtful about the current Özil-love-in lasting much longer than his current purple patch of nearly unbelievable performances.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The thing is that most of the posts quoted here were written in September 2015.
After Özil came back in January he had a very decent run of games, scoring and assisting regularly. He was praised for his performances eg. against Liverpool, got a POTM award, was pivotal in our second cup win in two years. People were saying he had finally arrived and were expecting great things for the 2015/16 season.

Yet after a few mediocre performances in August and September, none of this seemed to matter. It was as if he had never ever performed decently in an Arsenal shirt, he just didn't fit in, needed to be sold asap etc.

That's why I'm doubtful about the current Özil-love-in lasting much longer than his current purple patch of nearly unbelievable performances.
He was still very inconsistent and he wasn't influencing games nearly as much as a player of his ability should have been, and has since proven to be capable of. Lots of people indulging in the lol fest even acknowledged that. They've just stayed away from the thread, or are pretending they weren't disappointed.

After his more recent form, I'd find it hard to believe anyone would doubt he had the ability to do what he has been doing, and does, for Arsenal now. He's proven himself, even if it is a 'purple' patch.

For what it's worth, I dont like the term 'purple patch'. they said it about Ramsey too, and still do. If a player shows a certain level over a sustained period, then that's how good he is or can be. It's not a fluke. With Özil, he showed this in Spain, but that wasn't the PL, and that's where the doubt in hi ability to do it ]here came from.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Tbh I did question his heart several times as well and it was out of frustration. I've never doubted in his ability for one second, because I've been following him ever since my cousin told me about him and suggested that I should watch this 'left footed wizard in Bremen'.

I know it will sound bonkers, but I think the best thing that's happened to him was the injury! It gave him the opportunity the evaluate himself and figure out what he needed to do in order to fulfil his massive potential.

He changed his body by adding more muscle, and ever since he came back from the knee injury he's been on an upward trajectory. He takes responsibility now (All I ever wanted him to do), has more belief in himself, trusts his ability more and above all he's finally realised that he's the main man of this team and without him pulling his finger out we won't win f*ck all.

I know he's not going to be brilliant every game as that's impossible (Even the GOAT Messi has off days where he looks completely disinterested), but I think this is the beginning of something magical, and I'm f*cking here for it.

Haydi Gidelim, Mesut

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
*eating popcorn furiously*

Wait ......

zA8YZufPBK46Y.gif

Sun Ra

After his more recent form, I'd find it hard to believe anyone would doubt he had the ability to do what he has been doing, and does, for Arsenal now. He's proven himself, even if it is a 'purple' patch.
Most of his doubters in the past argued along the lines of "He is an amazing player for sure, but unfortunately just isn't doing enough for us atm"... we'll see if the fact that he has 'proven' himself in the PL without a doubt now will change that general pattern.
If people expect him to continue playing as well as he does these days forever, they will undeniably be disappointed. And quite a few posts of "He's finally starting to deliver " imply such expectations (and also some bitterness towards him, even when does brillantly - it seems he will never be able to repair those horrible first two years he had in these people's opinions).

But never mind, we will see what happens. For now maybe let's just enjoy the magic while it lasts!

Last edited:

Godwin1

Very well-known
I'm very happy that Özil is playing to the best of his ability now, it's a real vindication for me who, along with a few others in here, was one of the few people who correctly pointed out that the level he was playing at in the past two seasons was unacceptable. His current form proves this.

I think his semi-retirement to Turkey will has been postponed for many more years.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I'm lately grinding my teeth whenever Özil gets tackled, makes a big sprint or even when not substituted earlyish.

He looked a bit knackered a last two matches and with him playing through a chest infection, the last thing we need for him is to be out of action, due to fatigue/pulling a muscle.

Let's hope we get past Newcastle with no new issues, so he can then have a nice 11 day break before Anfield.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I'm very happy that Özil is playing to the best of his ability now, it's a real vindication for me who, along with a few others in here, was one of the few people who correctly pointed out that the level he was playing at in the past two seasons was unacceptable. His current form proves this.
giphy.gif

I was okay with Özil first two seasons, bar maybe few moments when the negativity of the forum got to me. But meanwhile TGG hasn't found any post of it I'm gonna pretend that it never happened.

Özil was passing well, had key passes, assist, and goals, although few of them. I knew he could better and was in his adjustment period. But the amount of hate he was getting and this **** bullshit that people are now like "yeah I always knew he had this insane gear in him that he could assist in every game, I was waiting for that" is just ridiculous.

This form will drop and we will see more of the old Özil, and that is okay for me, because he is good player, always was and always will be.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But the amount of hate he was getting and this **** bullshit that people are now like "yeah I always knew he had this insane gear in him that he could assist in every game, I was waiting for that is just ridiculous.
No, nobody has said that. All people said was he can do ALOT better, and we should expect it. Bending the truth doesn't make your point valid.

People are much happier than they were for a reason., but you seem to be struggling to accept the fact that he has improved a great deal! Just enjoy your sweet prince, and refrain from silly backtracking, blaming 'forum negativity' for wanting more. Let the truth flow through you. It will set you free! :lol:

blaze_of_glory

Thing is, it was obvious he was going to start hitting big numbers. His chance creation has been more or less steady.

But lets not pretend people weren't writing him off and only saying he should be doing better. That's the revisionism here if anything. Calls for him to be sold, that he was a waste, and that players of his like should never brought in again are not what people say when they are merely thinking he's good enough to be doing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom