• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs Chelsea - Sun. Jan 24th, 4:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Some of the play between Flamini and Ramsey was league 2 standard, Flamini belted it at Özil at one point from about 3 yards.

I feel as if Wenger is trying to force upon some of these players a style of play which isnt in line with their individual attributes. I got laughed and mocked earlier in the week for suggesting a midfield two of Arteta-Chambers as although their not on the same level to Cazorla and Coquelin there are some similarities between the two partnerships. Arteta provides the control, awareness and passing ability whilst Chambers would add drive, tenacity and a defensive shield which would've combated Chelsea's midfield trio a lot more effectively than Ramsey-Flamini.
Fabregas was playing like Zidane out there tonight! Its pathetic!
Ramsey needs to be dropped for a few games, not because I dont think he's pulling his weight but he needs some time off the pitch to reflect and assess his performances, to contemplate going back to basics like he done in 2013.

I completely understand why Wenger opted for Giroud to be subbed off! As soon as Per got sent off it was quite clear the flow of the match proceedings would swing to Chelsea monopolizing possession in our half for large portions of the game so the team would've had to of been patient, keep tight and aim to counter attack with pace thus the decision was made to take Olivier off despite weakening us for set pieces but then again had Arsène pulled Theo instead then we'd lacking speed for the counter attacks.

We really have some kind of bizarre mental block when it comes to facing Chelsea, I think someone mentioned on this thread a few posts above that it seems like the team immerses into ''*****-mode'' during these games its been going on for a number of years now and I dont get it! Even the Chelsea players the way they look at our lads like their a bunch of losers despite being 20 points behind. I dont know where this ridiculous poor mentality derives from but it needs to stop, the players have to start acting like men and quit talking about how wonderful the team spirit is. Ive always believed in the potential of this current Arsenal team and have constantly blamed the injuries for us falling short for the title in the last couple of seasons rather than pinning the blame on the manager or a lack of transfers but whenever we have a game like tonight once or twice a season with the players so lackluster,wasteful and unprofessional, a lot of doubt creeps into the mind about the fortitude and footballing intelligence of some of our players.

Bergklings

Say what you want about the man during the long barren years, and currently. But to dampen his achievements pre-Emirates stadium and to use that as a stick to beat him with, is a bit of a desperate reach imo.
I can only agree that the team under achieved in the CL with that team.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Oh yes, thrive to secure a CL place :eek:ops: this season though we're in with a title shout

In the last six seasons, we are the only team to be top at New Years day and not lift the trophy. Let's hope we don't fade again..
http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...chweek19-new-years-day-bpl-leaders-stats.html

Yer but that season we had what, 7-8 Players out simultaneously with injury for 6 weeks. City if they had the same casualties as us wouldnt have won it either. This current Arsenal team have two issues; 1.) Is the baffling injury crisis 2.) Mentality of the team.

USArsenalFan716

Like I said about 3 months ago....

There is going to come a point (as he gets older ) when Per's defensive knowledge and organization and leadership won't be enough to make up for his physical and speed limitations. (And it won't happen in one game, but over an extended period. Kind of the same with John Terry as an example. He's still decent, but nowhere near his prime).

He's going to continue to cut that fine line between being over the top where a lot of top forwards will abuse him, and that line where he is still a good enough defender for a top team in the league, every week.

I really think it's close to that point for Per. We can still win with him, but maybe it would be best to be giving him more rest like you need to with older players, (like I have advocated)... playing Gabriel more.

He's still a good player, one really bad brainfuck doesn't destroy that, but maybe it's a wakeup call for Wenger that he can't play every week at a high enough level and it's Gabriel time (more often).

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
From 1st to 3rd in 48 hours, with Tottenham now hot on our heels. First I wanted 9 points from this tough period of fixtures. Cool, that was unrealistic. Then I wanted 7. That didn't happen. Then I thought whatever I'll settle for 5 ...

Now look.

We got 2 and that Joe Allen goal comes back to haunt us once more.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Yeah, the last few games have hurt us bad. I'm deflated.

I think I prefer hope being drained from me in the first couple of months. It's the hope that kills. This team will send me to an early grave.

law90026

Established Member
We've been riding our luck with Ramesy and Flamini in midfield, the wheels were going to come off at some point, let's be honest. It's just the fact that the league is absolutely dire that we're still in the title race.

The good thing is we're still in the mix. Let's just hope we have a fully fit sanchez, coq back and no more serious injuries until the end of the season.

Also no Merts for the next 3 games will give allow for the Gab, Kos partnership, which I think has the potential of being the best in the league and will allow us to play a higher line.

The one thing that really absolutely pisses me off about wenger is that he only changes things when he has no choice but to do so. Iwobi and Chambers were very good agains sunderland in midfield. Surely Chambers could've done a better job in midfield than flamini over the last month or so.
More importantly, if our new signing isn't good enough to displace Flamini, that's pretty much money down the drain.

law90026

Established Member
So after some reflection:

a) Ramsey needs to be dropped. His vaunted high energy game is pointless when he can't get basic things done right. He's become too "Hollywood" again, reminiscent of the time after his injury and before his good season, and he needs to really focus on getting the basics right before fantasising about Barcelona;
b) Walcott was a waste of space;
c) the Kos-Per pairing needs to go. Per's lack of speed and Kos' inability to play the offside trap correctly is a terrible combination, not to mention the high line making it worse;
d) if Flamini had technical ability, we would have won. Pity he doesn't.

Right now, I'm not seeing any real spark in the team and I'm hoping Sanchez's return will provide it. My real concern is that the team is already exhausted at the midway point.

Özil had two players on him whenever he touched the ball. Why is that? Because our midfield players that are supposed to move around the pitch drawing opposition to them were nowhere to be found. Özil had no runners around him to make passes to, no player practically. Go back watch the match, he was boxed into a cul-de-sac of Chelsea players whenever he touched the ball and no one in an Arsenal shirt moved to give him a short passing option. There were no transitioning balls making their way to him, he had to make his way to find the ball in inoptimal positions. He couldn't play today, certainly not play his game, not without support, not when everyone else was in the wrong place, and making the wrong passes and runs.
Very fair and correct point. It was just that he was easily our best player starting, and so when the team as a whole play badly the instant reaction is to blame our best player for not performing, as bar Sanchez, Özil provides the inspirational quality to dig us out of a hole.

kopzilla

Always Negative
Walcott had a bad game...so many offsides..I think keeping him on was a good decision..he just didn't deliver.

General

Established Member
I still don't get the bottlers argument. People are subscribing to the media lines again. Some people might find it difficult to accept and Chelsea might be out of sorts but we they had better quality in the areas of the pitch that mattered. Replace Flamini and Ramsey with Le Coq and Cazorla and this was game would've been much closer. There is no bottling here when the opponent is better than you. Simple really. We will continue to come second best if Wenger persists with inferior quality.

General

Established Member
Just watched longer highlights again.

So many wrong things just before red card it's unbelievable.

1. Özil lays a very good ball on space for Monreal to attack it. Theo and his stupidly arrogance of getting in the way of others, gets the ball and produces a very meek cross which is intercepted by Mikel, and the ball is quickly picked by Snake.
2. Snake quickly passes to Willian on edge of the box and Ramsey does a half arsed tackle

We appealed for handball when Mikel intercepted and several players switched off. This is classic Arsenal really (see late penalty Brum 2008). Willian was then able to quickly bring the ball out using his athleticism which Ramsey couldn't match and bypassed half of our players who had committed forward. There was only going to be one winner in a one on one situation with Flamini but the ridiculous thing is he played Costa in as if Flamini wasn't there.

General

Established Member
I think people are getting too hung up on the Giroud argument and are forgetting that he was kept on the pitch as was Walcott when Gabriel was sent off in the away game. We looked toothless and what really did the damage was Coq got injured. Not fussed whoever we'd taken off yesterday, I know we had bigger problems elsewhere.

Mohamed7

I am more of a reader than poster. I just had to post because a lot of people are blaming Merte like crazy. Just watch how many of our players are in Chelsea box before William got the ball. From quick glance I had in reply about 5. The interesting part is when Chelsea get the ball and we completely stop to appeal for PK see what Ramsey does. With that number of Arsenal players ahead of you and you are CM (Seemed DM today) you should NEVER be that aggressive to win the ball back. He should have shield William so he doesn't go past him nor pass forward. He got beaten and from there on it was losing battle. Merte should have let go and he is blame for that no excuse. However we would have avoided this had Ramsey done what any CM with any defensive skills would do.

Regarding Giroud sub. I made that call well before substitution was done. It was tactically brilliant. Chelsea would have murder us had Giroud stayed because they would have played high line with no fear of us getting behind them. With Theo up front they had to play with gear and that allowed us to have chances. Unfortunately it was going to the worst player on the pitch. How Mohamed isn't better than Flamini at this rate is actually worrying me.

Next game is clear.
Giroud
Alexis Özil Campbell
Ramsey Mohamed
The back five

Lastly I would really send OX on loan to another EPL. Something isn't right with his head this season. Get proper wide on right in January to rotate with Campbell and Alexis. Theo benched and back up for Giroud.

Pardon my errors... From Mobile.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
Giroud was looking excellent before he came off though. Spreading the play, holding the ball up, getting shots off. He was clearly up for this. I agree with whoever said Theo would've got the chop if we hadn't treated the game like his testimonial match.

In saying that, I do understand the sub though. If Wenger bought Gabriel on for Walcott or Campbell then we would've had one flank with no winger on it.

Gooner_girl14

Yer but that season we had what, 7-8 Players out simultaneously with injury for 6 weeks. City if they had the same casualties as us wouldnt have won it either. This current Arsenal team have two issues; 1.) Is the baffling injury crisis 2.) Mentality of the team.

Don't disagree, but I think the injury excuse is a poor one. Fact is, we have the worst injury record in the league of the past several seasons. We know this, and we know we have several injury prone players. It is Wenger's job to manage the team and because we know we are hit with an injury crisis every season, he should be better prepared by now. Yet he keeps on even the questionably gifted injury prone players (like Gibbs, Ox).

Our squad depth has always been somewhat poor and Wenger has not done enough to reinforce. We fade at this point in the season, and if Elneny is the best Wenger can do, I'm afraid we'll fall short again.

Jaywood Mac

I still don't get the bottlers argument. People are subscribing to the media lines again.

Surely you can't deny that this team dosent perform when it comes to the crunch. For the last 10 years every time the squad gets a sniff of the title their legs turn to jelly. The fabregas team was the worst of the lot, even bottling the leasgue cup final.
This current squad is arguably the best mentally0 since we last won the league although that's not saying much . They nervelessly swatted away villa in Wembley and have shown big improvements in big games but I still don't trust them in a title run in. As we get closer to the end of the season and are still in with a title shout expect more similar performances to the last 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten

Latest posts

Top Bottom