• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kylian Mbappé

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onroad

Giroud is good, not many better for his style of forward.

Mbappe is untested and just potential at the moment. Isn't he more of a left winger anyway?
Would rather see Giroud up front next season than this flavour of the month hype train.
tenor.gif

IF WENGER DONT SIGN A STRIKER THIS SUMMER OOOOOOHH LORD

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not sure but it's close. PEA doesn't really impress me.

Pace and finishing and not much else to his game but he makes it work in all fairness. Doing something right when you outscore Lewandowski.

Yeah I get that as well tbh. Same thing with Lukaku though for me. Can't put my finger on it though.

Bergkamp120

Icardi is the one who we should be after. Pace, great finisher, fantastic movement, and he can contribute a bit in the build up play. 62 goals over the last three years in the league with genuinely terrible service. Teams will be fighting to sign him after he plays for Argentina (he hasn't been playing because of the situation with Maxi Lopez). James Richardson raves about him. And he's only 24.

VancouverCanuck

We sold the best CF in the league/world to Manchester ****ing United and signed a donkey from France for less. That was the financial situation. Get out of here calling Giroud a "top signing" even when viewed from "value for money" BS angle. Yes he is serviceable but he's proven time and again that he isn't going to win us the league.

If he was a stop gap and he was improved on quickly his signing/time at AFC would be viwed in a better light as you are trying to paint, but seeing as he is still our first choice CF 5 years later I don't see how you can be happy with it and go back and try and rewrite history.
I don't know about you but I am happy with Giroud. He was never going to win us the league. But he has met his performance target as far as I am concerned.

The problem is in the manager not able to find a better striker that can win us the league.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
I don't know about you but I am happy with Giroud. He was never going to win us the league. But he has met his performance target as far as I am concerned.

The problem is in the manager not able to find a better striker that can win us the league.

Even though we are pretty much in agreement with the second bit as it's not Giroud's fault he is what his is, but to my original reply he was RVP's replacement so he is in no way a "top signing". Again you and I agree the real problem is the management didn't truely think they needed to go out a get another starting striker to win the league otherwise he'd have pushed the boat out further to get something over the line (supposedly) like we are doing with Mbappe. None of this "we tried" for player x stuff. No other way to explain failing to find someone to bench Giroud for the past 5 seasons.

Wenger said in the past many times he believes you can win the league with him at CF* and him getting run out after run out over the years regardless of form or the strikers like Welbeck, Sonogo, Perez we've actually brought in to compete with him confirm he still saw Giroud as good enough.

*After Henry said you can't win the league with Giroud.

He added: "I can accept that is an opinion, but the comment on Giroud was a bit more wrong, especially because I heard the same thing being said about (Nicolas) Anelka, about Thierry Henry himself and about Robin van Persie, and they all became world class players themselves."

Wenger added: "What I know is Giroud works very hard for the team and has fantastic mentality and if the team does well it is down to him and, if on top of that he scores 20 or more goals, he has done his job."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ivier-giroud-says-Arsène-wenger-10223266.html

Zaza

Icardi is the one who we should be after. Pace, great finisher, fantastic movement, and he can contribute a bit in the build up play. 62 goals over the last three years in the league with genuinely terrible service. Teams will be fighting to sign him after he plays for Argentina (he hasn't been playing because of the situation with Maxi Lopez). James Richardson raves about him. And he's only 24.
Yep. Don't know why we haven't pushed hard for him. Definitely an upgrade over Giroud. Would've gone for him after we failed with griezmann, Benzema and co. I'd take him over Lukaku and Morata

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Icardi isn't that great. He's at best on par with someone like Lukaku, but Lukaku plays in a stronger league. Both play for **** teams.

One of the worst dribblers I've ever seen for a CF of his size and type.

Red&Dreadjm

Not sure but it's close. PEA doesn't really impress me.

Pace and finishing and not much else to his game but he makes it work in all fairness. Doing something right when you outscore Lewandowski.
PEA's good but he's not a killer. We need a killer up front.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I feel like we've got Welbeck and Walcott if we needed sheer pace and we've got Giroud for everything else bar consistent finsihing. So the thing we actually need now is a Suarez type.

This is why Wenger has always stayed clear of PEA/Lacazette etc. But maybe not it's time to just get one in.

Anyway back on Mtopic, surprised we didn't hear anything after the France friendly :(

say yes

forum master baiter
We sold the best CF in the league/world to Manchester ****ing United and signed a donkey from France for less. That was the financial situation. Get out of here calling Giroud a "top signing" even when viewed from "value for money" BS angle. Yes he is serviceable but he's proven time and again that he isn't going to win us the league.

If he was a stop gap and he was improved on quickly his signing/time at AFC would be viwed in a better light as you are trying to paint, but seeing as he is still our first choice CF 5 years later I don't see how you can be happy with it and go back and try and rewrite history.

Couldn't agree with this any more.

The 'Giroud wasn't signed to be a starting CF' argument is also weakened somewhat by the fact that he wants to leave the first time his playing time has been threatened.

We didn't buy him as a supersub. We bought him because we hoped he'd be good enough to start at CF. He's not. Crap player, dud signing.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Couldn't agree with this any more.

The 'Giroud wasn't signed to be a starting CF' argument is also weakened somewhat by the fact that he wants to leave the first time his playing time has been threatened.

We didn't buy him as a supersub. We bought him because we hoped he'd be good enough to start at CF. He's not. Crap player, dud signing.

Well he's not crap, he's a very good striker. He's just not a world class striker. To call him a dud signing is completely ignorant.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Well he's not crap, he's a very good striker. He's just not a world class striker. To call him a dud signing is completely ignorant.

100%.
Giroud is not a bad player, he is actualy quite useful and quality, he just does not live up to our high expectations after our past greats such as Henry.

He might not be the answer to our desires but is still a good purchase and an awesome backup option for us.

tcahill

100%.
Giroud is not a bad player, he is actualy quite useful and quality, he just does not live up to our high expectations after our past greats such as Henry.

He might not be the answer to our desires but is still a good purchase and an awesome backup option for us.

100%

Giroud also has generally had issues with our style of play. He's up there with Benteke and Carroll as one of the best aerial threats in the league, and Arsenal have never used this to their advantage. Compare Benteke with Villa/Palace and Benteke at liverpool.

With France he also plays with a supporting striker (normally Griezmann) who does all the running and pressing for him, allowing him to concentrate on his target man role.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Giroud needs to operate in a team where the ball is crossed into the box. The problem when we play him as a lone striker is that he also needs to run in behind which he is unable to do. However if for example we played with someone alongside him like Mbappe, PEA or even Lacazette. There is then the threat of a striker running in behind.

Giroud needs to play with a striker or left sided playmaker who makes runs beyond. Alexis doesn't do that, he loves to come to the ball. Play Mbappe there and it will most likely turn into a 3 5 2 when we are on possession.

Teams either sit deep and defend against Giroud in the air with Mbappe sniffing around the box on the ground or they press high and deal with Mbappe in behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom