• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Do you want us to sign him?

• Yes

Votes: 174 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbury_2006

Village Idiot
You posted a link that had him higher than Kane, Cavani and Costa not now, but back in 2016. :lol: Okay.

Football moves fast and despite what the guardian thought back in 2016, nobody went in for him (again despite himself wanting out) he's still at BVB and the 3 players listed above (plus others) have moved above him. PEA isn't a elite CF...I thought this was common knowledge, why is this hard to accept?

Do you really think that Costa is better?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I've been a fan of Auba for a long time, but I was advocating for you to sign him several years ago where he'd maybe be able to adapt and have time to gel etc. If you get him in now, it's immediate success or being stuck with an extremely overpaid has-been pace merchant. Considering you already have a striker known for his runs in behind and it's not clicking at Arsenal, it's completely fair to be more than worried when you're being linked to a striker whose entire career has based around exactly that.

As I said earlier, goals aren't scored in a vacuum. The setup is incredibly important and Auba is a player who feeds off of space and counter attacks. You generally offer neither space nor quick counter attacks, except when you play against Barca inexplicably.
Lol man I'm not saying they persoanlly hate Aubameyang.

But yh you're right, I made that comment not actually seeing the guys goals. I just watched all his 31 goals from last year and it was underwhelming. Scored a few good finishes, but you would if you played as a main man up top for dortmund and got space to shoot.

60-70% of his goals didn't even deserve to have a celebration for, pure tap ins and open goals thanks to his team's play.

The question is about system given his skill set. He's clearly a good finisher, poacher and speedster. He is the type which needs the team to play into him well. I have no trust in Wenger anymore to be tactically astute so if we sign him I will have no idea if he will work here, like every other signing we make these days.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Of course, any discussion of his potential poor fit and weaknesses is immediately labeled as hate.

I've been a fan of Auba for a long time, but I was advocating for you to sign him several years ago where he'd maybe be able to adapt and have time to gel etc. If you get him in now, it's immediate success or being stuck with an extremely overpaid has-been pace merchant. Considering you already have a striker known for his runs in behind and it's not clicking at Arsenal, it's completely fair to be more than worried when you're being linked to a striker whose entire career has based around exactly that.

As I said earlier, goals aren't scored in a vacuum. The setup is incredibly important and Auba is a player who feeds off of space and counter attacks. You generally offer neither space nor quick counter attacks, except when you play against Barca inexplicably.
We had a very inconsistent time with Walcott. Maybe second time lucky.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
He was playing in Germany, France and Italy so he couldn't possibly have done that.

Correct. PEA could have however helped his teams win league titles in the leagues he's played in yet he has 0.

Also in the context of this link Costa's goals won the EPL, the league Arsenal plays in, and his other title was in Spain where his goals helped overhaul the two biggest clubs in the world I'd easily take Diego Costa over PEA.

PEA gets goals, in the right set up, but despite all the goals he's scored in those league, and wanting out for years, the highest level club he's played for is BVB.

Managers, owners, DOF, etc all don't consider PEA elite yet here you are banging on like he is based off some list created by the guardian in 2016. Why?

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
If we come out of this with Auba and Malcom then fair play to the club. They might not be better than Sanchez but at least it’s a very good attempt at replacing his goals and strengthening the team.

We will probably get neither.

Last edited:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Another transfer that I'm against. I feel we're just going for names and not trying to build a system that works in the PL.

As I've said we should be looking to improve our wide areas with Malcom + another pacey direct winger to help our 50m signing in Lacazette.

If Wenger is really interested in Auba which I'm against then why don't we just go for another pace merchant in Jamie Vardy. At least he's PL proven and he'd probably be cheaper than Auba. I don't want Vardy aswell but its the same as signing Auba.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Our attack is blunt, Welbeck is starting upfront. I see no downside to PEA signing, unless he's coming as a wide man.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

FFS, who do you think we are, PSG? We have endured Walcott, Iwobi, Gervinho, Vela, Sanogo, Akpom, Baptista, Chamack et al up top just in the last few years, we got spanked by an out of form Bournemouth yesterday, and people are passing on a Lacazette-Aubameyang partnership? Gabonian Walcott? Jesus.

No, its about buying players you need. All we're doing is buying players and not thinking about what type of system they'll fit in. I'm not sure even Wenger knows which is one of the reasons we're in this mess.

Wenger signed Xhaka instead of Kante. Everybody including Alexis' dogs knew that we needed someone that is good off the ball, defensive minded and good with interceptions but Wenger ended up opting for Xhaka instead of Kante when we've already got players that are similar to Xhaka.

I feel we're making the same mistakes again. That's why I'd rather we get no-one than get Auba.

I want another manager to be spending that money in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom