• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I think we've either got to take a gamble on one of our former players who know about our style & club & loved by the fans (Ljungberg, Arteta, Viera etc.) or someone like Allegri, even a younger enthusiastic bloke like Nagellsman.

Bradpiff

I think we've either got to take a gamble on one of our former players who know about our style & club & loved by the fans (Ljungberg, Arteta, Viera etc.) or someone like Allegri, even a younger enthusiastic bloke like Nagellsman.

Our style 1-0 to the Arsenal ??? I'd love that too

zilfy

If no decent coach is available we should give it Big Wengz till the end of the season.
That's like asking your first wife to come stay with you for a few months cos you just broke up with your second wife and you wanna get some action. But only for a few months until you find someone better than both of them!

Thing Wenger's got a bit too much dignity to come back here after what we put him through

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I imagine Mourinho would love to manage us, he comes across better as a pundit but you know the c*** is still in there and it would boost his ego getting the job after all his beef with Wenger and Arsenal over the years, if he won the league or CL etc at Arsenal you know he would stick the knife in when things go bad.. would still take him though :lol:

Someone like Wilder I'm not keen on, some clubs, units etc just click; Curbishley/Charlton, Allardyce/Bolton, that weirdo/Hull, his appointment would change our game, maybe even for the better at the time but I wonder how much progression we would have under him.

Either way, I'm 100% bored of Emery now, we all know its not going to work with him, the progress isn't really there and we are just wasting time as a club. Utd, Chelsea and Tottenham all seem to be on the ropes, this should be our time to pull ahead and we are stagnating, we NEED to secure CL football this season or we may have just wasted 2yrs of time where we failed to take advantage of other clubs declining, we need to be infront of them before they rebuild :frustrated:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Short term, Mourinho might not be so bad. I'd be surprised if we didn't improve almost instantly.

It would require the board to keep him on a tight leash, and I'm not convinced they could do that.

Long term, it tends to break down for him, doesn't it?

I'm afraid it would not help Freddie's career if he got the job now. In my opinion it is too early.

Rodgers will probably be too expensive to extricate from his contract.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If no decent coach is available we should give it Big Wengz till the end of the season.
Big wengz already got abused alot don't need these c**ts at AFTV disrespect him again stick with Emery until summer and get better manager

Reactions: Kav

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He’s a top manager, or at least was not sure on him anymore...but putting that aside Jose should never be wanted here, would just feel so disloyal to Wenger after all Mourinho did to him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He’s a top manager, or at least was not sure on him anymore...but putting that aside Jose should never be wanted here, would just feel so disloyal to Wenger after all Mourinho did to him.

On an emotional level, it is hard to disagree with that.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

There is a lack of top managers out there.

Zidane at Madrid, Valverde at Barcelona, Sarri at Juve, Conte at Inter, Kovac at Bayern, Tuchel at PSG, Ole at United. None of them inspire me. With the exception of Conte and Sarri I imagine the rest will be moving on in the not so distant future. Who replaces them?

City and Liverpool will need new managers soon as will Athletico Madrid as natural cycles end. Sp**s look like theyll need a new manager soon.

United, PSG etc will be looking at Allegri and Simeone, Sp**s will have Rodgers on their radar, Barcelona will want Pep, Madrid will want Klopp or Poch, Bayern will want Klopp. Eventually clubs wont get who they want. Theyll move down their list and the talent pool decreases further as teams move onto second, third and forth choices.

I'd rather benefit from first mover. Pay off Emery and bring in Allegri free of charge. Get our first choice before others start looking. If we cannot do that then pay for Rodgers. Failing that we look at mid table and hope we can turn him into a CL level manager. But do it before others even begin.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We’ll be fighting with half of Europe for Ten Hag or Nagelsman if we went that direction.

Mourinho worries me because I think he’s lost what he had at Chelsea and Inter. His third season meltdowns have got progressively worse after Real.

Benitez might be a steady hand for a bit but that’s hardly sustainable. I’d back Brendan but I still don’t think he’s learned his lesson from that famous loss to Chelsea in 2014.

It’s really tough atm, options are thin on the ground.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We’ll be fighting with half of Europe for Ten Hag or Nagelsman if we went that direction.

Mourinho worries me because I think he’s lost what he had at Chelsea and Inter. His third season meltdowns have got progressively worse after Real.

Benitez might be a steady hand for a bit but that’s hardly sustainable. I’d back Brendan but I still don’t think he’s learned his lesson from that famous loss to Chelsea in 2014.

It’s really tough atm, options are thin on the ground.

Nagelsmann literally just walked in the door at Leipzig and in any case seems to have his heart set on the Bayern job. Ten Hag might be wanted by Barca or even Bayern themselves if they're both looking for managers. Who knows maybe even United or Sp**s (well we shouldn't have a problem presenting ourselves as a more attractive option for him).

I'd like us to at least try for them in any case. If we contact Ten Hag early about our plans he might give us a guarantee that he'll take over in the summer.

As for Mourinho, I get what you mean, but if he gave us 2 seasons filled with titles then I'd probably accept the 3rd season meltdown. :lol: The main problem with Mourinho is that if he doesn't get his targets that he feels are required to compete for the title then he loses interest more than anything else. He didn't get a CB in the summer of 2018 and I think he just gave up pretty much. Also there's question marks over whether Fred was his signing or not.

ChefMan21

Peoples thoughts on Luis Enrique? Has that Barca connection with Raul.
Is his head in the right space? I'd ask that question before even considering the type of football he would play/what's his vision/is he the right manager for us etc. Poor bloke.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Fire Emery, give it to Ljungberg till the end of the season and get Ten Hag in. He has a good philosophy, which he implements wherever he is. I've heard former players talk about him so positively, plus what he's doing with Ajax is amazing.
He'd be perfect. Their performance in the 1st leg of the CL SF last season was incredible, going away to Sp**s and completely dominating them. Reminded me a bit of the Fabregas days where this team would go away to Anfield and OT and just play them off the park.

ChefMan21

Said this a while ago before Emery was appointed. Still stands, bearing in mind that I don't think Emery's goose is cooked just yet (probably the first widow where he's really got the players he wanted). But if we do appoint someone new:

Essentially I want Wenger all over again, at least in some fairly important areas, but with some changes to reflect where we - and football - are going over the next 20 years. Whoever it is, I'd like them:
  1. To be here long-term, at least 5 years, but even 10+ years if the right candidate comes along (because why would you dump a successful manager?);
  2. Can articulate a vision for the club, one that they can sell to the players, the board, the media, and most of all, the fans;
  3. Is able to stick with a vision - an idea - akin to Wenger, but also to adapt that vision to changes in modern football;
  4. Ability to articulate and implement a youth system that will serve us for the next 30 years. Think Ajax and Barcelona;
  5. To be adept at identifying talent, including bargains, or at least bring with them staff who can identify said talent - and then seal the deal;
  6. Willing to forego a 50:50 signing like Gervinho and use the funds to invest in our youth system, or save the funds for someone much better a year or two down the track;
  7. More of a focus on defence than pretty football, with defence forming the foundation for us to play pretty football (i.e. we're still an attacking team but we can defend first and foremost);
  8. Be an innovator in terms of techniques and tactics;
  9. Adept at changing tactics to suit the situation, whether that be mid-game or season, or taking stock of our current squad and using a tactic that maximises the effectiveness of a collective XI;
  10. Ability to delegate key responsibilities out, such as utilising a DoF to focus on transfers, and someone to focus on the running of our new youth setup;
  11. Can oversee a stadium expansion, which I expect will occur in the medium term, while retaining on-field success;
  12. Has strong man-management skills, along with great knowledge of football in general; and, ideally
  13. Strong media skills which I think is pretty underrated but is vital in reducing pressure on players and the club, as well as managing expectations in a post-Wenger era with the media, fans, and broader football community.
There's some obvious similarities with Wenger there, but he/she needs to be their own person in terms of tactics, direction, style, etc. (And yes, totally fine if they are female if they are the best person for the job. What a good story for the club and why cut our nose off to spite our face by ignoring half the population?)

In addition to my earlier (revised) post, what I don't want is:

1. The club to chop and change managers without giving them a solid opportunity to implement said vision and see it realised;
  2. Similarly, the club to not give the new manager an opportunity by overly comparing them to Wenger - think some of the issues with David Moyes when he was compared to SAF - or overly comparing their success to what has happened over the previous 20 years. This is a transition period, after all;
  3. The club to become big spenders at the expense of our profitability. We must ensure we remain a sustainable and strong club first and foremost;
  4. To employ a manager because they were a club great, particularly if they have never managed a top club or in a top league, without consideration of meeting the criteria above.

Now if someone can please tell me who meets all or most of that criteria, they're my pick.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'd rather benefit from first mover. Pay off Emery and bring in Allegri free of charge.
If Allegri can be parachuted in I am all for it. He seems like easily the best available option. Just don’t see the club move quickly here. A club like Chelsea yes, us no.

jato

Is his head in the right space? I'd ask that question before even considering the type of football he would play/what's his vision/is he the right manager for us etc. Poor bloke.

Yep it's pretty sad. Time heals, probably not right now but perhaps later in the future assuming say Emery hangs around until the end of his contract if he makes it that far. Anyway ignore the question for another time.

Said this a while ago before Emery was appointed. Still stands, bearing in mind that I don't think Emery's goose is cooked just yet (probably the first widow where he's really got the players he wanted). But if we do appoint someone new

Isn't this essentially what Emery promised when he joined? What he says has not translated to what we see on the pitch.

A lot of other items you've mentioned are already in place at the club. It is not all in the managers hands or should I say coach as that's what Emery's main role is, to coach. Not be in charge of the youth setup or scouting etc. otherwise it is leaning back towards the Wenger setup which is what the club is moving away from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom