• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
If Arteta's philosophy is anything like Pep's, Özil doesn't have a chance here.

If he wants us to press as a team, you can't have any passengers, one gap can be fatal.

Pep dropped Aguero when he first went City as he felt he didn't offer enough without the ball. Aguero adapted and saved his City career. I really don't think Özil has it in him to do the same.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
If you buy a Ferrari but don't have the roads nearby to get the best out of it, there's no point *****ing and moaning about how much it cost. You knew it was a luxury beforehand and you knew it would only be at its best in certain circumstances.

Same with Özil, Arsenal knew he was a luxury, knew he required the team effectively to be built around his strengths and felt it worthwhile to pay him what he demanded. And for a while it worked. Combined well with Sanchez and Giroud (whose movement and ability to link play was severely underrated). He wasn't exactly a defensive powerhouse then and still played with the same languid style.....and no one outside of the Daily Mail gave a **** because he was topping the assist charts.

World moved on and we got progressively worse with a scattergun approach to recruitment. Team isn't built around him - in truth it doesn't seem to be built around anything. Expecting a player like Özil to stay motivated and to flourish in that environment is just insanity as is some expectation he completely changes his game. Never going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has to go and the sooner the better - he's incredibly unsuited to the team we do have - but some of the posting here is just ridiculous. Minimum thought, maximum overreaction.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
......Expecting a player like Özil to stay motivated.......

A fair post. I disagree with this bit though. Isn’t that just called professionalism/professional pride? The struggle to motivate yourself is faced by every working mope on sweet Mother Earth. Why should someone who is remunerated in the top tier of their market rate get a pass?

Last edited:

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
A fair post. I disagree with this bit though. Isn’t that just called professionalism? The struggle to motivate yourself is faced by every working mope on sweet Mother Earth. Why should someone who is remunerated in the top tier of their market rate get a pass from motivation?

Money has been proven as a key motivator only until a certain point is reached though, after that it decreases in importance compared to other environmental factors (sense of belonging, team culture, sense of achievement, feeling that contributing to success, working in an environment where there is a coherent message, structure, sense of direction etc)

It's management theory and tbh have witnessed it quite alot. Have managed both small and huge teams in really challenging environments. Somewhat similar to a club environment in that it was managing a mix of new and experienced professionals with up to 18 different nationalities none of whose first language was English. Money mattered most to the lower grades as could make a huge difference to lifestyle. Higher grades impacted more by other factors as lifestyle wasn't going to change dramatically whether they got a payrise or not. Unfortunately it's also incredibly easy to demotivate people, even those on huge salaries. Main offenders for highly paid professionals are feeling unappreciated, thinking their manager believes they are easily replaceable, lack of any feeling directors have a strategic plan or feeling their skills are wasted. It's human nature so applicable to all walks of human life.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I always felt the Wenger exit had more of an impact than money.

We dont know if Özil had other offers around Europe on a free. He decided to stay for last few playing years & then the manager exits three months later. Post announcement he sat out every league game just playing in the Europa... thats odd.

The contract size just has him in limbo. Not sure its possible to transfer now... Maybe we just reach a settlement this summer that suits all parties with the year left.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Proud to have him represent Arsenal.

This is despite of our corporate jerks, who distanced themselves after he spoke on basic human rights issue.

Yet he does not stop for what he feels is right.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Proud to have him represent Arsenal.

This is despite of our corporate jerks, who distanced themselves after he spoke on basic human rights issue.

Yet he does not stop for what he feels is right.

Can I just point out the obvious in that Arsenal run a huge number of community and charity initiatives (as do most if not all Premiership clubs)

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
If you buy a Ferrari but don't have the roads nearby to get the best out of it, there's no point *****ing and moaning about how much it cost. You knew it was a luxury beforehand and you knew it would only be at its best in certain circumstances.

Same with Özil, Arsenal knew he was a luxury, knew he required the team effectively to be built around his strengths and felt it worthwhile to pay him what he demanded. And for a while it worked. Combined well with Sanchez and Giroud (whose movement and ability to link play was severely underrated). He wasn't exactly a defensive powerhouse then and still played with the same languid style.....and no one outside of the Daily Mail gave a **** because he was topping the assist charts.

World moved on and we got progressively worse with a scattergun approach to recruitment. Team isn't built around him - in truth it doesn't seem to be built around anything. Expecting a player like Özil to stay motivated and to flourish in that environment is just insanity as is some expectation he completely changes his game. Never going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has to go and the sooner the better - he's incredibly unsuited to the team we do have - but some of the posting here is just ridiculous. Minimum thought, maximum overreaction.

Özil best period with Arsenal was prior to him signing his contract, when he wasn’t topping the assist charts, and during that time the team was certainly not built around him yet his influence on our performances/results was there for all to see and gained widespread praise/a huge ****ing contract. The strange belief that he somehow doesn’t have to change his game/in general is part of why we’re in a mess as a club.

He’s not a car like the example you gave he can choose to adapt/improve. There are legitimately countless examples of top level players across pretty much all sports adapting their game at the tail end of their peak to stay effective and/or to adapt to a change of coach/manager, yet here you and other Özil apologists believe he just cannot/doesn’t need to for some strange reason.

If he wanted to he could give so, sooo, much more on the pitch as we’ve seen it but he simply isn’t motivated to anything to help the club when we have need him most and tbf why would he be when he’s on wages that have had him as the 2nd highest payed player in the richest league in the world since the ink dried and the club is full of deluded supporters who blow smoke up his ass and blame his problems/form/ineffectiveness on whatever combination of teammates and manger is here at the time.

He’s been crap for more than 2 years under now 4 different managers (Wenger, Low, Emery, Freddie). Stop making excuses for him.

Last edited:

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He needs a slap, simple as that.

Mod: Come on, grow up. Constructive criticism is fine, acting like a squealing man-child isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I picked up fifa yesterday. The guy is rated 81 ffs:lol:
Don’t know if that is good or bad as I have never played that game. I am fairly sure though that some of his support among kids and misled youth is due to height PC game scores. I said that earlier in the thread. Once his ‘game scores’ start dropping he will be out of favor with at least part of the forum I suspect.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yeah, it was a bit confusing. What I meant to say that him being my favorite player doesn't interfere with my Arsenal connection. It was just a very happy coincidence.

I've been a Madrid supporter (after Rijkard left Barcelona), and lowkey support Germany. Throughout his time with Madrid and Germany, he was arguably their best player and that is a big achievement.

5+ years? Not really. His most disappointing season was the last one under Wenger. And then Emery came and we went south.

Was Arsenal Özil as good as the years-ago Özil? No, probably because he is used to better quality CMs behind him. I still think he could make a difference with a strong midfield. He was phenomenal when we had Ramsey, Caz and Alexis. He made Giroud a rockstar.

Arteta won't make a monkey's worth of difference until he can get the midfield functioning.
Fair enough if you want to hope he improves somehow. Feel the ‘need better players around him’ argument has been beaten to death though. That can be said about any player. Cannot picture a player getting worse because the players around him improve...

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Can I just point out the obvious in that Arsenal run a huge number of community and charity initiatives (as do most if not all Premiership clubs)

Yes, all PL clubs have their community services, charities etc...

But this is not the case with a lot players, who besides contributing to club charities, they also have their own as Özil, Ronaldo etc...

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
He's far from the biggest problem the club has and by no means has been the biggest disappointment this year. City game aside he's been quite OK when played. Fades and out but always has and usually plays one or two key passes to create good chances up front (which we invariably don't take)

Does seem like any debate on Özil is just completely irrational. He seems to have become a focal point for alot of the frustration but realistically the players behind him have been far worse.

He's a luxury player than really performs when he has intelligent movement upfront and a solid unit behind him to allow him the freedom to utilise his talents best. As it stands we're far from solid at the back (more calamitous than solid) and the movement up front is hit and miss at best this year.

He's a square peg in a round hole in this team but it's not entirely been his fault. Just seems lazy to pick him out of the crowd when others have been bang average or worse
Maybe just maybe "key passes" as a stat is fairly worthless and coincidental as a thing. What most Arsenal fans would like to see is real solid end product rather than some clutching at straws stat that means nothing. Why can't Özil just be a protagonist as Emery put it and deliver? He wasn't wrong about that and the assists that Özil was famed for have long since dried up, even when he is our main set piece taker when playing as well. He's not even able to be a flat track bully any more.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Maybe just maybe "key passes" as a stat is fairly worthless and coincidental as a thing. What most Arsenal fans would like to see is real solid end product rather than some clutching at straws stat that means nothing. Why can't Özil just be a protagonist as Emery put it and deliver? He wasn't wrong about that and the assists that Özil was famed for have long since dried up, even when he is our main set piece taker when playing as well. He's not even able to be a flat track bully any more.

Özil was never a goalscorer but a provider. He's not playing in a vacuum so key passes are one of the measures you have to track him by. Anyway like I said, I don't think we're going to have any kind of system which is going to suit his style of play, he's a luxury with no purpose in the team. Just think there's alot of people rushing to pile 100% of the blame on him when it's not quite that simple. He also played a part in it, sure, a major part, but not the extent being portrayed here

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
Özil was never a goalscorer but a provider. He's not playing in a vacuum so key passes are one of the measures you have to track him by. Anyway like I said, I don't think we're going to have any kind of system which is going to suit his style of play, he's a luxury with no purpose in the team. Just think there's alot of people rushing to pile 100% of the blame on him when it's not quite that simple. He also played a part in it, sure, a major part, but not the extent being portrayed here
No he's not 100% to blame, I never said that. There's any number of issues with our team and squad but seeing how much some people care about this one player (enough that they will change my user info). The borderline culty, circus that goes with him has long since become not about Arsenal and more about social media clicks and presence. We are a club with deep seated problems and passengers and luxuries shouldn't be welcome. I don't deny he was a great player in the past for other teams and even had and still has his moments for us. He's just a poor fit to our current situation (which I concede is circumstantial and not his fault, he doesn't help though) and has rarely performed in an Arsenal shirt when needed.

Last edited:

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Deleted that post frankly speaking as it was rubbish, shootx. If you have a problem with it, feel free to PM, otherwise kindly post something on topic and which adds to the broader discussion.

And it's spelled 'snide' by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom