• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yep, when Özil’s made his wage demands clear he should have been laughed out of the club.

I can understand why they did it though. Years of mismanagement and under-investment had the club’s back up against the wall. The fans were already rioting, we were in dreadful form, and our other star (Sanchez) was leaving for a major rival. Özil’s agent, to his credit, played a blinder. And rather than make the responsible choice in exchange for some short-term pain, Gazidis caved to pressure.

The Alexis swap was an underrated terrible deal as well, we got Alexis’ wage off the books but took back a player who’d struggled at Utd on a long term contract worth 180k a week.

By the time he leaves in 2021 Mkhitaryan will have made about 30M from the club and he’s almost been a complete non entity here.

It would have been better for us just to give them Alexis for free in January. So in that one transfer window two years ago, Gazidis committed us to 30M a year on just two players who’ve flopped massively until 2021.

Shambolic stuff.

Kav

Established Member
I realize i am a star to some people and they can't stop mentioning my name even when they are being ignored. Sad state of their lives.

@Rex Banter, that whole Alexis, Özil situation was a mess and it has not unfolded in our best interest. Why were their contracts allowed to run down in the first place. Gazidis dropped the ball. Realized that he was going to lose Alexis and threw money at Özil. Now we are hampered by that albatross of enormous wage that Özil gets. All other top players will want pay parity with Özil, or at least use his wages as a reference for their own negotiations.

It has been poor business by the upper management. On the football side he has been a good player for us. I do believe he could have been a much better player for us had he the right players and Manager working with. The bigger question is what will Özil's legacy be when he leaves arsenal.
I can't see it being a great one based on his body of work to date and the present circumstances are creating a PR fiasco.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Kav tried to bring in the concept of privity in English contract law to make a point on page 233 and it spirals from there.

Although tbf, it’s less advice and more “look at me I know law I am really smart” (narrator: it wasn’t smart, he got the meaning wrong). Fun reading though.
I believe you, but where is it? i can’t find the post

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Haters will kill me for it but damn I have some respect for Mesut. He called out the DFB, essentially said screw you to the whole of Germany, had Erdogan marry him after half of Europe lost their **** after a simple foto with him, didn’t buckle down for Chinese commercial interest like so many did, and now he won’t accept a paycut from Arsenal just because others have.

You can say what you want about him on the pitch, but off it he has some serious backbone. :lol:
He gets credit for the way he dealt with the DFB. But we all know he, like others, was just too scared of Erdogan to say no or not invite him. So either he's a scaredy cat or a troll. As for the pay cut, he's clearly being advised and there's not much wrong so far with what his people are asking for. So not much to do with backbone really, when you consider all the decisions on their own merit. But if you want to suggest he has an immense one. as someone else said--it's just a shame we don't see that backbone anywhere near often enough where it matters.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Just one thing: God, I cannot stand that scumbag Piers Morgan! I am not a fan of Özil anymore, but when that lowlife Morgan criticises him I cannot help but side with Özil. Don't know why Piers Morgan needs to support Arsenal of all clubs. He is made to be a Sp**s, Liverpool or Chelsea fan!

Next he will criticise Kroenke and I will have to side with Silent Stan... :(

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The decision to hand Özil that gargantuan contract is increasingly looking like the Worst decision the club have made in the Emirates era both on and off the pitch all thanks to Ivan the terrible.

How the feck does Ivan still get a job at another club after the mess he created here?

scytheavatar

Established Member
The decision to hand Özil that gargantuan contract is increasingly looking like the Worst decision the club have made in the Emirates era both on and off the pitch all thanks to Ivan the terrible.

How the feck does Ivan still get a job at another club after the mess he created here?

Worst decision in the Emirates era was giving Wenger that contract extension in 2016/17. Second and third worse was letting Sanchez and Ramsey run down their contract. Fourth worse isn't giving Özil the contract extension, it's not doing more to shift Özil out of the club last summer when it became obvious that we need to move away from him.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Worst decision in the Emirates era was giving Wenger that contract extension in 2016/17. Second and third worse was letting Sanchez and Ramsey run down their contract. Fourth worse isn't giving Özil the contract extension, it's not doing more to shift Özil out of the club last summer when it became obvious that we need to move away from him.
I don't think Sanchez running down his contract had a big impact tbf. If we'd allow him to leave for free without replacing him with Miki, we'd have been better off.

Keeping Wenger longer didn't damage the club, the farcical recruitment did, all thanks to Ivan.

The Özil's contract really fvcked us. It destroyed our wage structure and lost us a sh!t ton of money while also contributing to our decline on the pitch.

Ramsey leaving didn't impact us much. He most likely would have been in the treatment table by now

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yep. I can understand why the club caved in at the time, but it’s now looking like the worst personnel decision this club has made since it mucked around with Cole.

It's much worse than Ashley Cole, actually there's been a lot worse handling of situations than Cole. We were negotiating a new contract with him and obviously low balled at first (which happens with most negotiations) if there was no Russian oil money being waved in his face we would probably have come to an agreement.

But what can you do when someone is having private meetings with Mourinho? We had no chance even if we offered him the 55k a week. Chelsea would always pay more.

say yes

forum master baiter
It's much worse than Ashley Cole, actually there's been a lot worse handling of situations than Cole. We were negotiating a new contract with him and obviously low balled at first (which happens with most negotiations) if there was no Russian oil money being waved in his face we would probably have come to an agreement.

But what can you do when someone is having private meetings with Mourinho? We had no chance even if we offered him the 55k a week. Chelsea would always pay more.
As I understand the situation with Cole: we had an agreement for £60k which he thought was all done and dusted, and then out of nowhere we tried to strongarm him into accepting 55k. It was the board being cheap and backing out of an agreement which soured the relationship, not Chelsea’s billions.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't think Sanchez running down his contract had a big impact tbf. If we'd allow him to leave for free without replacing him with Miki, we'd have been better off.

Keeping Wenger longer didn't damage the club, the farcical recruitment did, all thanks to Ivan.

The Özil's contract really fvcked us. It destroyed our wage structure and lost us a sh!t ton of money while also contributing to our decline on the pitch.

Ramsey leaving didn't impact us much. He most likely would have been in the treatment table by now

We could have gotten 60 million from Sanchez had we sold him when we could have...... similarly we could have gotten 40 million from selling Ramsey. That's 100 million as a conservative estimate, already far more than what the Özil contract cost us.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Wasn’t Cole a victim of Dein and Fisman falling out, or something like that too.

Either way losing Cole made zero difference really, he was a world class fullback, but no fullback is a game changer in terms of winning titles...you need a top goalkeeper, at least one top centre back and centre mid and a top forward to win leagues...every Emirates team lacked at least one of those and that’s why we haven’t won a title at this stadium, you need a great spine in football...all the people who play wide are kind of like side *****es, important yes, but in the middle is where it’s at!

Would have wanted to keep Cole obviously...but it was not getting a defender as good as Sol, or not getting a defensive midfielder as good as Gilberto that were the real **** ups.
I have to disagree slightly. A FB might not seem like a game changer but having Cole between 2007-2009 instead of Clichy wins us a title or maybe two imo especially in 2008. The only upside to getting Gallas was that Chelsea had a defensive crisis but Utd won so nothing for us.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
We could have gotten 60 million from Sanchez had we sold him when we could have....
On top of that when Sanchez was rumoured to be close to City move, there was an option flouted that they would pay us some money and add Sterling .
Considering what a star Sterling has become, it would make for an incredible deal.

Instead we got an uninspiring Mkhi.

Moah

Stop dragging Wenger's name for everything wrong with the club.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
The only bad thing about giving that contract to Mr. Özil was appointing a manager who was completely opposed to the style of football Mr. Özil thrives in only four months later.

That was the only bad thing?

We should have let him walk. I thought a Chinese club would be the only team that would give him stupid money. He was not worth more than 100K per week max. We paid him for his name, but he was no David Beckham.

Gazidis and Wenger fvxked up. I love Wenger, but he supported the contract extension at that time.

I hope we do not make same mistake with PEA. What PEA is on, that is justified. He is no 300K per week player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom