• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The only bad thing about giving that contract to Mr. Özil was appointing a manager who was completely opposed to the style of football Mr. Özil thrives in only four months later.
We have to stop blaming managers when emery first game Özil had great first 4 months then the performance gone to s**t we all noticed.

Pepes blue pill

As I understand the situation with Cole: we had an agreement for £60k which he thought was all done and dusted, and then out of nowhere we tried to strongarm him into accepting 55k. It was the board being cheap and backing out of an agreement which soured the relationship, not Chelsea’s billions.

This is my understanding aswell

Pepes blue pill

On top of that when Sanchez was rumoured to be close to City move, there was an option flouted that they would pay us some money and add Sterling .
Considering what a star Sterling has become, it would make for an incredible deal.

Instead we got an uninspiring Mkhi.

Think that was always just a rumour

Pepes blue pill

Stop dragging Wenger's name for everything wrong with the club.

The handling of Wenger towards the end was horrific tho, it was clear his time was up n for all his class it must've been almost impossible for him to accept it n cus of who is was the board couldnt find the balls to move him on...as soon as klopp was available I was saying now is the perfect time, the board were cowards tho

say yes

forum master baiter
That was the only bad thing?

We should have let him walk. I thought a Chinese club would be the only team that would give him stupid money. He was not worth more than 100K per week max. We paid him for his name, but he was no David Beckham.

Gazidis and Wenger fvxked up. I love Wenger, but he supported the contract extension at that time.

I hope we do not make same mistake with PEA. What PEA is on, that is justified. He is no 300K per week player.
Tbf to Wenger, I think he was supposed to have had reservations about Mesut’s extension. He would obviously have had to sign off on it, and I’m sure he was happy about retaining such a talented player, but I don’t think he can be held responsible for those negotiations. Gazidis takes the majority of the blame there for me.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I have to disagree slightly. A FB might not seem like a game changer but having Cole between 2007-2009 instead of Clichy wins us a title or maybe two imo especially in 2008. The only upside to getting Gallas was that Chelsea had a defensive crisis but Utd won so nothing for us.

Clichy was actually really good in 2008, but Cole wouldn’t have lost concentration like Gael did at Birmingham, so we might have actually won the league in 2008 if we had Cashley...you got me there!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ashley Cole wouldn’t have hung around for much longer anyway even if he got his 60K. Didn’t he cite other reasons for leaving like not enough English being spoke in the dressing room and stuff like that? When I think about all the players that have left for our rivals , Ashley Cole probably comes out the classiest closely followed by Fabregas of course and even Nasri tbh.

Moah

The handling of Wenger towards the end was horrific tho, it was clear his time was up n for all his class it must've been almost impossible for him to accept it n cus of who is was the board couldnt find the balls to move him on...as soon as klopp was available I was saying now is the perfect time, the board were cowards tho
I get that but it's completely the board's fault. Wenger stayed to help the club because they had no one to replace him with.

This board was never capable of hiring Klopp anyway.

Corbulo

I find it interesting that we had two holdouts but Özil's name has been leaked. Get the feeling this is very deliberate. We don't want him, we can't really sell him so he won't lose value. Hookah, kebabs, Erdoğan and Fortnite. Not a bad legacy.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ashley Cole wouldn’t have hung around for much longer anyway even if he got his 60K. Didn’t he cite other reasons for leaving like not enough English being spoke in the dressing room and stuff like that? When I think about all the players that have left for our rivals , Ashley Cole probably comes out the classiest closely followed by Fabregas of course and even Nasri tbh.

Always got the feeling he wanted to go and play with his English mates at Chelsea. Think he could probably see the tide turning too, Chelsea on the rise and us declining.

Not sure I totally buy the 5K story, I’m sure it frustrated him but I refuse to believe it was the sole reason for him to leave Arsenal, I think he wanted to leave anyway.

GDeep™

League is very weak
On the pay cut again. What do people make of stories that some players, especially the younger ones, felt pressure to accept?

Also, the club not holding individual meetings but having one guy (Bellerin) going around to convince everyone. Bit amateur, no? How can Özil give up 40k a week because Hector asked him?

Then you have stories now that the dressing room are angry with the way Özil has been hung out to dry.

Arsenal were always known to be a club that done everything properly, this was pre Wenger, but he continued that tradition, now it’s gone abit tacky.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I don't think Sanchez running down his contract had a big impact tbf. If we'd allow him to leave for free without replacing him with Miki, we'd have been better off.

Keeping Wenger longer didn't damage the club, the farcical recruitment did, all thanks to Ivan.

The Özil's contract really fvcked us. It destroyed our wage structure and lost us a sh!t ton of money while also contributing to our decline on the pitch.

Ramsey leaving didn't impact us much. He most likely would have been in the treatment table by now

Sanchez was stinking out the joing during his last season here to be honest. Giving Wenger his extension was the worst, particularly when you consider the calibre of option available to replace him.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time is was so important for us as a brand to show that we hold on to star names. Following up Özil's new contract by bringing in Auba was a big club move.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Özil in general, that 350K wage looks crazy now. I’m not sure any player is worth that unless you’re Ronaldo or Messi.

You feel sympathy for Arsenal and Ivan because they either extend his contract and match whatever he is being offered elsewhere, or they sell him and continue that trend of Arsenal always losing players.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Also, the club not holding individual meetings but having one guy (Bellerin) going around to convince everyone. Bit amateur, no? How can Özil give up 40k a week because Hector asked him?
It's because Hector is the club's PFA rep, it's in the article in the corona thread.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's because Hector is the club's PFA rep, it's in the article in the corona thread.
Whatever his role or position, the club should’ve held individual meetings with players and their representatives.

You’re asking Özil to give up nearly a quarter of million each month.

Reactions: A_G

Pepes blue pill

I get that but it's completely the board's fault. Wenger stayed to help the club because they had no one to replace him with.

This board was never capable of hiring Klopp anyway.

Oh I blame it all on the board, for all wengers class you can't ask any man to be able to walk away from something he loved so much and had put so much into

Only reason the board couldnt get klopp is cus they arent very good at their jobs, if we wanted him im pretty certain he woulda came

Pepes blue pill

On the pay cut again. What do people make of stories that some players, especially the younger ones, felt pressure to accept?

Then you have stories now that the dressing room are angry with the way Özil has been hung out to dry.

Arsenal were always known to be a club that done everything properly, this was pre Wenger, but he continued that tradition, now it’s gone abit tacky.

You think people have read anything beyond the headlines :lol::lol: theres a reason they are so eager to attack Özil over this

GDeep™

League is very weak
Oh I blame it all on the board, for all wengers class you can't ask any man to be able to walk away from something he loved so much and had put so much into

Only reason the board couldnt get klopp is cus they arent very good at their jobs, if we wanted him im pretty certain he woulda came

A guy like Klopp will have demands, Liverpool can meet those as they’ve always been traditional big spenders - I’m not sure Arsenal would’ve given him those assurances.

Ultimately, I don’t think we have the ambition to hire the best, buy the best, compete with the best etc. Look at the two massagers we’ve employed after Wenger, one is a mid level guy, and the other is a total newbie. Our signings have been dreadful too.

Club is going nowhere with Stan. Well, it’s going somewhere, it’s going downhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom