• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations For The 2022/2023 Season

What are your expectations?

• Top 3

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Top 4

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Top 4 + Deep cup runs

Votes: 74 50.7%
  • Top 6

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Top 6 + Deep cup runs

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • No Expectations

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
The pressing and interplay against Chelsea made me hopeful we'll be an 80 point team this season. I think pressing with Jesus could be key. I don't actually think Liverpool have great players but their press and intensity drowns teams and is how I've felt against them. The pressing Jesus could bring alongside Saka/ESR/Gabi/Eddie is far and above what they could do with Auba/Laca.

Ofcourse I could just be getting carried away with a pre-season win. But the fact Tuchel was impressed with our physical performance gave me great hope.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I don't have any specific expectations of league position but I have huge expectations of how we perform. I expect a minimum of 70 points, 70 goals and to dominate teams more regularly. Those to me are the minimum requirements to put up a proper challenge for top 4 regardless of our opponents.

I would be more disappointed if we got 66 points, 60 goals, clung on to scrappy 1 goal wins and secured 4th because our rivals were awful than if we hit my minimum targets and missed out on top 4 by a point for example.

I say all of this despite knowing that Champions League is probably a necessity if we are going to go to the next level but at this moment in time I just want to see us play well regularly, score goals and entertain.

BIoodBrother

I don't have any specific expectations of league position but I have huge expectations of how we perform. I expect a minimum of 70 points, 70 goals and to dominate teams more regularly. Those to me are the minimum requirements to put up a proper challenge for top 4 regardless of our opponents.

I would be more disappointed if we got 66 points, 60 goals, clung on to scrappy 1 goal wins and secured 4th because our rivals were awful than if we hit my minimum targets and missed out on top 4 by a point for example.

I say all of this despite knowing that Champions League is probably a necessity if we are going to go to the next level but at this moment in time I just want to see us play well regularly, score goals and entertain.
I feel 66 points won't be enough unless Chelsea can't sign anyone and Tuchel and Todd have a fallout.
Anyhow I agree that we need good football and many goals first but if Jesus and Partey play 30+ leaguegames each, we should be able to qualify for CL and I expect that.
Defense shouldn't trouble us as much with Zinchenko and Saliba providing much needed cover. We now have 6good defenders, instead of 4.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Top 4 is my primary focus.

Winning the Europa League would be cool for the trophy and CL but for me seeing the club showing they are good enough for top 4 over 38 games will be my my main measuring stick.

Get a decent draw and a bit of luck and a lot of semi decent teams could win the EL. Getting top 4 has a bit more substance to it in terms of showing progress I think.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Top 4 is my primary focus.

Winning the Europa League would be cool for the trophy and CL but for me seeing the club showing they are good enough for top 4 over 38 games will be my my main measuring stick.

Get a decent draw and a bit of luck and a lot of semi decent teams could win the EL. Getting top 4 has a bit more substance to it in terms of showing progress I think.
“Get a decent draw and some luck” - you think we’re in the champions league still? We’re the best team in the competition.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

“Get a decent draw and some luck” - you think we’re in the champions league still? We’re the best team in the competition.

You spent the last 2 months shooting your load over ETH's bald head. So you're admitting we're better than Man Utd now? Glad to see you finally have seen sense!

Expect you to upgrade us from 6th to 5th in your PL predictions.

Slug457

Off topic, but reading this thread and seeing the poll results has raised my views on Arteta stans somewhat. It's clear that there is a genuine belief in the "process" and as a result a healthy level of expectation as we move into the 4th year of that process. I'm hopeful that if we are rotting down in 8th/7th or even a distant 6th excuses like "it's a young team" or "it's a harder league now" will no longer be tolerated by the majority, and only accepted by a tiny minority of hardline Arteta cultists.

A niggling part of me still thinks that even if we do fail miserably the majority will still trot out the same old excuses however :lol: Let's get 4th and make that a impossibility.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You spent the last 2 months shooting your load over ETH's bald head. So you're admitting we're better than Man Utd now? Glad to see you finally have seen sense!

Expect you to upgrade us from 6th to 5th in your PL predictions.
We have a better side than Utd on paper. That stands with my EL thoughts. You can spin it the other way, you don’t rate Utd so why would we need luck or a nice few?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Don't rate Ten Hag's balling devils?
Tammy + Dybala look tasty too.
Didn’t even know Utd were in this, thought they missed out on European football totally.

In a cup competition it could go either way between Utd/Arsenal. Over a league campaign i fancy ETH to get more out of his players.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

We have a better side than Utd on paper. That stands with my EL thoughts. You can spin it the other way, you don’t rate Utd so why would we need luck or a nice few?

Because it's a cup competition. Less games, much finer margins, more chance of things like luck / red cards / injuries impacting where you end up.

Over 38 league games that stuff is much more likely to be evened out.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Because it's a cup competition. Less games, much finer margins, more chance of things like luck / red cards / injuries impacting where you end up.

Over 38 league games most of that stuff is much more likely to be evened out.
That’s stands for what I’m saying too. I didn’t even know Utd were in the EL, until you mentioned it, but in a cup competition it’s 50/50 with them.

In the league I like ETH to get his players to over perform.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Off topic, but reading this thread and seeing the poll results has raised my views on Arteta stans somewhat. It's clear that there is a genuine belief in the "process" and as a result a healthy level of expectation as we move into the 4th year of that process. I'm hopeful that if we are rotting down in 8th/7th or even a distant 6th excuses like "it's a young team" or "it's a harder league now" will no longer be tolerated by the majority, and only accepted by a tiny minority of hardline Arteta cultists.

A niggling part of me still thinks that even if we do fail miserably the majority will still trot out the same old excuses however :lol: Let's get 4th and make that a impossibility.

Yeah, that has already happened lol

Do or die was winning the EL back then, quickly forgotten when Emery destroyed us.

Tomb Bombadil

With Arteta you can argue his players generally under perform. Saka aside there is nobody you can say “wow, he’s on fire under Arteta” or “he’s raised his level under Mick”.
Guess that comes with the strict tactical concept we have. Would say Xhaka and ESR raised their level also under Arteta. Others not so much.

Dynamic

One thing is certain - if we want to achieve anything this season, we need a number 6 in the level of last mid-season Partey.
One way or another, this issue has to be addressed.

Aevi

Hale End FC
With Arteta you can argue his players generally under perform. Saka aside there is nobody you can say “wow, he’s on fire under Arteta” or “he’s raised his level under Mick”.
Is this "Arteta isn't getting the best out of them" or "the players aren't playing up to par"?

Feel like your comment goes either way.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom