• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

I remember a thread where the question was whether Ramsey is an Arsenal legend. There were people who thought he was and stood after their opinion. No one called them names or insulted them or came into the forum just to insult people who have different opinions from them. I did not think that Ramsey is a legend but I did not mind people who thought he was.

Maybe you know that Xhaka is a legend that's why you feel so insecure when others say things as they are.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
No one has gave me an answer as to why many 70’s players who hardly won anything are considered legends.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
No one has gave me an answer as to why many 70’s players who hardly won anything are considered legends.
Because Xhaka isn’t even in the top 20 CM in Arsenal history. He is below par at his postion. No one remembers the 15th best RB at United. I can name a ton of Central midfielders better than him as a 6 or 8. He is below average CM post wenger

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Because Xhaka isn’t even in the top 20 CM in Arsenal history. He is below par at his postion. No one remembers the 15th best RB at United. I can name a ton of Central midfielders better than him as a 6 or 8. He is below average CM post wenger

First of all that’s completely false. Second you didn’t even answer the question.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Xhaka spent at least 70% of his time at Arsenal performing poorly enough to the point where fans were desperate to replace him. It's why his recent turnaround has been so impactful, he looked like a lost cause in an Arsenal shirt.

If Xhaka qualifies as a "legend" then that list is gigantic and loses all meaning. He's like in a similar tier of players like Flamini and Song in the midfield position and I doubt many would call those guys "legends".

If it wasn't for his immense turnaround in form this season + the mending of his relationship with the fans, my impression is the majority of Arsenal fans would've been glad to see the back of him if he left and would generally have seen him as a bit of a flop and a mistake to rely on for so long. Again, credit to him for salvaging what seemed unsalvageable, but he hasn't had anywhere near the positive impact to be considered a legend IMO.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Xhaka is more of a legend than Koscielny or Ramsey if we're being honest. Those two were even bigger liabilities than Xhaka.

Tnegs

First of all that’s completely false. Second you didn’t even answer the question.

He did answer you. Xhaka is an average player who should never have been signed in the first place. Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla and Flamini were all better than him and that’s without mentioning guys like Cesc, Vieira, Petit and Gilberto. I’d even have Edu and Arteta ahead of Xhaka. How can he possibly be a club legend when nobody except the 2 of you bots rate him highly?

BigPoppaPump

Xhaka spent at least 70% of his time at Arsenal performing poorly enough to the point where fans were desperate to replace him. It's why his recent turnaround has been so impactful, he looked like a lost cause in an Arsenal shirt.
Was he really performing that poorly or was it just the fans and their popularity contests? Every manager we have had play him every opportunity they can and Arteta did everything he could to make sure Xhaka stayed.

Not to mention he's never lead Arsenal to finishes as low as 14th place compared to some other allegedly world class once in a lifetime generational midfielders I'll not name.

BigPoppaPump

He did answer you. Xhaka is an average player who should never have been signed in the first place. Song, Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla and Flamini were all better than him and that’s without mentioning guys like Cesc, Vieira, Petit and Gilberto. I’d even have Edu and Arteta ahead of Xhaka. How can he possibly be a club legend when nobody except the 2 of you bots rate him highly?
Ramsey, Song and Flamini weren't better. Xhaka is better than Wilshere off the pure fact that he can actually play football and not be injured for entire seasons.

Honestly never saw the appeal in Ramsey, he was one of the main reasons Xhaka looked bad. Literally never helps in midfield and offers 0 protection or coverage, couldn't really pass or dictate play, never created for others. All he did was just run into the opposition box first chance he got, no wonder Xhaka was much better when he had capable midfielders around him like Partey and Ødegaard.

Tnegs

Ramsey, Song and Flamini weren't better. Xhaka is better than Wilshere off the pure fact that he can actually play football and not be injured for entire seasons.

Honestly never saw the appeal in Ramsey, he was one of the main reasons Xhaka looked bad. Literally never helps in midfield and offers 0 protection or coverage, couldn't really pass or dictate play, never created for others. All he did was just run into the opposition box first chance he got, no wonder Xhaka was much better when he had capable midfielders around him like Partey and Ødegaard.

I don’t really rate Ramsey either but he’s clearly a better player than Xhaka. I’d have Song and Flamini ahead of him as well. Flamini did get us to a CL final playing LB and he was fantastic in 07/08. Wilshere as a footballer is next level to Xhaka although the fitness part is obviously lacking. Still I don’t think you become a legend just for being available.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
The complete list of Arsenal legends.

Tony Adams
Patrick Vieira
Dennis Bergkamp
Ian Wright
Thierry Henry
Robert Pires
Freddie Ljungberg
Michael Thomas
Charlie George
Bob Wilson
David Seaman
Liam Brady
David O’Leary
Ted Drake
David Rocastle
Cliff Bastin
Kenny Sansom
Frank Mclinktock

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The complete list of Arsenal legends.

Tony Adams
Patrick Vieira
Dennis Bergkamp
Ian Wright
Thierry Henry
Robert Pires
Freddie Ljungberg
Michael Thomas
Charlie George
Bob Wilson
David Seaman
Liam Brady
David O’Leary
Ted Drake
David Rocastle
Cliff Bastin
Kenny Sansom
Frank Mclinktock

Freddie but not Kolo 👎

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Xhaka, Özil, Ramsey/Wilshere... Wenger was doing miracles keeping us close to the top 4 with them in midfield

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Xhaka is more of a legend than Koscielny or Ramsey if we're being honest. Those two were even bigger liabilities than Xhaka.

Koscielny sure. I liked Ramsey though, but maybe because I see a spot for him in this team which probably adds to that.

None of the 3 are legends anyways.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka

Then you didn’t read the question either. Xhaka is world class and one of the best players we’ve ever had.

GDeep™

League is very weak
All Pat Jennings won for Arsenal was one FA Cup. All Kenny Sampson won for Arsenal was one league cup. You can also add Liam Brady to that mix who I’ve seen touted as a legend.

Explain to me how they can be legends but not Granit Xhaka who won quadruple the amount of trophies they did.
Jennings, Sampson and Brady are called legends because they were GREAT players. Jennings is in the English football best ever debate, Sampson was like Ashley Cole in his day, Brady was a great player who was considered before his time, who then went on to Italy etc, at that time the best league in Europe.

Xhaka has never been considered a GREAT or generational player. The above could be considered generational talents.

4 FA Cups at a club like Arsenal doesn’t make anybody a legend either.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Jennings, Sampson and Brady are called legends because they were GREAT players. Jennings is in the English football best ever debate, Sampson was like Ashley Cole in his day, Brady was a great player who was considered before his time, who then went on to Italy etc, at that time the best league in Europe.

Xhaka has never been considered a GREAT or generational player. The above could be considered generational talents.

4 FA Cups at a club like Arsenal doesn’t make anybody a legend either.

How can they be such great players if they failed to win more than one cup for Arsenal?
Xhaka is a great player, a better player for sure, and won us more trophies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom