• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Yes, all PL clubs have their community services, charities etc...

But this is not the case with a lot players, who besides contributing to club charities, they also have their own as Özil, Ronaldo etc...

Yes. His good deeds are extremely well publicised. It does make you wonder if some players do this on the quiet and we don't know a single thing about it. Like all the stories of philanthropy from George Michael that came out after he passed because he demanded anonymity.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Even better if there are more players who do this but stay quiet.

Özil has chosen to publicize his actions, and there's nothing bad with that. It can only help represent Arsenal values better.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Yes, all PL clubs have their community services, charities etc...

But this is not the case with a lot players, who besides contributing to club charities, they also have their own as Özil, Ronaldo etc...
I think players with their sort of status are advised to have their own charities—not that I’m implying it’s the only reason they have them. They’re icons and having your own charity is a box you need to have ticked, it seems. There’s even an argument that they may be harming more established charities that do practically the same thing and at needless extra cost, by setting up their own foundations—a cynic would have fun with that.

A lot of run of the mill Players have them as well—Troy Deeney being a perfect example of the type.

Nobody’s ever questioned Özil’s good spirit though, so not entirely sure why we tend to see updates of his good work off the pitch, as heart warming a read it may well be. I’ve no doubt he’s a genuinely sweet and caring man.

Özil up until now has kept his good deeds quiet but since he's received bad press he wanted to release it to make him appear in a good light. Fair play either way as he's making a difference.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Even better if there are more players who do this but stay quiet.

Özil has chosen to publicize his actions, and there's nothing bad with that. It can only help represent Arsenal values better.
He’s publicises it for PR. Everything is PR with Özil and his representatives.

It’s commendable to do charity but let’s be honest if you are earning that kind of money and don’t give back to the community you really are a nasty piece of work. Footballers get paid obscene amounts of money, they should do some good with it

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Hopefully Arteta doesn't try and bring him back into the team at any point, and Raul and co can get him out on loan for the next season and a half until his deal is up.

We need to try and build towards something now, and we need to move on from Mesut to accomplish that...used to have a few laughs with Emery's treatment of Mesut, (everything was crap, so why not laugh), but now we really need to back the manager...Özil was great, but is done now, not a slight on Mes as everyone declines at some point...but at this point, we just can't cope with him in our team anymore.

Özil was great in the past, now we need to find what's great in the future.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
He’s publicises it for PR. Everything is PR with Özil and his representatives.

It’s commendable to do charity but let’s be honest if you are earning that kind of money and don’t give back to the community you really are a nasty piece of work. Footballers get paid obscene amounts of money, they should do some good with it

A good dose of jealousy in there, anyway Merry Christmas everyone :)

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
According to the mirror he not named with match day squad that travelled to Bournemouth. He not injured either.
That would be the fourth successive manager that opts to leave Mesut at home.

How come we are unable to find a lovely road to drive our nice Ferrari for the fourth time?

Are Arsenal specifically recruiting managers that don't know how to utilize Özil. Can we possibly direct any blame towards Mesut?

Find out in the coming weeks.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

How come we are unable to find a lovely road to drive our nice Ferrari for the fourth time?

Are Arsenal specifically recruiting managers that don't know how to utilize Özil. Can we possibly direct any blame towards Mesut?

With fixtures so close I don't think who does and doesn't play against Bournemouth is that significant, and Chelsea game is much more important if we are seriously intending to get at least a Europa place next season

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Quite possibly. MJoroty of footballers are probabl

Sarcasm really isn't your forte, just comes out all childlike to be honest.

Reread the last few pages

- no one has said Özil is blameless.

- the analogy stands true. Takes about 30 seconds active thought (try it some time)

Özil thrived when had the intelligent runs of Sanchez, someone like Giroud to play off and a relatively disciplined midfield alongside him meaning he had no real defensive duties.

Laca, Aubameyang and potentially Pepe are great attacking threats. Pepe in particular would benefit from an inform Özil. But the game has moved on. Luxury of a player who doesn't press isn't something most teams could facilitate, particular teams with a centre midfield as chaotic as ours and a defence that shoots itself in the foot on a regular basis.

That was the case under late Wenger, remained so under Emery and Freddie and will be the same under Arteta for quite some time. The 'road' doesn't exist. Man, analogies really aren't your strong point.

It's been said multiple times before it's quite likely Özil has no place in this squad and Özil has certainly played a part in that. But taking the easy way out and scapegoating pluses without actually thinking of the context is just lazy

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Quite possibly. MJoroty of footballers are probabl

Sarcasm really isn't your forte, just comes out all childlike to be honest.

Reread the last few pages

- no one has said Özil is blameless.

- the analogy stands true. Takes about 30 seconds active thought (try it some time)

Özil thrived when had the intelligent runs of Sanchez, someone like Giroud to play off and a relatively disciplined midfield alongside him meaning he had no real defensive duties.

Laca, Aubameyang and potentially Pepe are great attacking threats. Pepe in particular would benefit from an inform Özil. But the game has moved on. Luxury of a player who doesn't press isn't something most teams could facilitate, particular teams with a centre midfield as chaotic as ours and a defence that shoots itself in the foot on a regular basis.

That was the case under late Wenger, remained so under Emery and Freddie and will be the same under Arteta for quite some time. The 'road' doesn't exist. Man, analogies really aren't your strong point.

It's been said multiple times before it's quite likely Özil has no place in this squad and Özil has certainly played a part in that. But taking the easy way out and scapegoating pluses without actually thinking of the context is just lazy
Chill out buddy. Wasn't directly aimed at you, but rather the staunch and unconditional defending on this forum (not just the last few posts) of a player who has done very little the past few years to warrant that.

You just happened to refer to that (weak) Ferrari analogy I've seen posted before by others and it's ridiculous at this time. Might have been relevant 3 years ago but he is not a Ferrari, but rather an old timer that requires special treatment and can only be taken for a short spin across the countryside when the sun is out and there's hardly traffic. It reminds us of a time where this car was still the best thing in town, but it has been overtaken left and right by even regular cars from this present day.

I know a lot of people mention it, but I don't care about his contract. That's the clubs responsibility and I believe Özil staying helped us remain somewhat relevant in attracting top players like Aubameyang.

I also don't care what he does outside of football in relation to what's happening on the pitch. It's great that he supports charities and uses his name to make a stance for what he believes is right of wrong and shows he is a good human being. What matters for me ultimately and will be the only thing I judge him on is what he does on the pitch in an Arsenal shirt.

What I care about is his general attitude in and around games. Gestures are one thing (I didn't care Alexis throwing his hands in the air either, cause the guy delivered and gave 100% everyday), but a complete lack of effort to show fight and desire to turn around a game or even pressure opponents is what has become symbol for Mesuts career the last few years.

The way he gets pushed off the ball numerous times and hardly puts in effort to regain that lost possession or even win a duel is laughable.

He rightly deserves to be criticized for that as should any player be it on 350k or a youth contract. Sulking on the bench when things go wrong is no problem at all as long as you leave everything on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom