• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Top strikers in Arsenal history

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I'd say

1. Henry - 4 x league top goal scorer, 2 x PFA player of year, 3x FWA player of year, 1 x lead the league in assists and 6 x PFA team of the year. Robbed of the Ballon D'or in 2003 coming second and a came third in 2006.

2. Bergkamp - the most technically gifted and creative player to grace the league. His first touch was better than anyone to grace the league only Le Tisser could come anywhere near to rivaling it. In the 97/98 season Bergkamp was PFA player of year and lead the league in asissts.

3. Wright - more of a complete and better overall footballer compared to several of the other great English CFs in the 90s such as Fowler, Cole and Owen. Wright could take opponents on skin them with his pace and using natural dribbling ability to score or run on to through balls or balls over the top to score. Wright could score such a variety of kinds of goals be it right foot, left foot, headers, tap ins, long shots and chips. Wright had such an undderrated first touch too. 2x PFA team of year.

4. RVP - Injury plagued the majority of his time with us. However in his final two seasons with us he had gotten over his injury issues and showed us just how good of a player he actually was. Sublime technical player that was unplayable in his final season with us.In 11/12 RVP was player of year and was the league top scorer. RVP final season was better than any of Wright's but I gave Wright the nod due to consistent longevity. In 11/12 RVP was player of year and was the league top scorer.

5. PEA - A limited player but I'd argue he had just as good if not better positioning off the ball than anyone on this list at aticipating a goal scoring opportunity. Despite being played as much if not more on the LWF than CF he is a consistent goal machine.

6. Alexis - was played as a LWF in his first two seasons with but had his best season with used mainly as a CF in his third season where he got 24 league goals. I loved Alexis mixture of high work rate, determination, grit, creativity and flair.

7. Anelka - Thought we had a susperstar in the making that would go onto rival the Brazilian Ronaldo. In 98/99 Anelka was PFA young player of season and made the PFA team of the season.

8. Adebayor - Like Drogba in that he was pretty average every season with the exception of one season where he was brilliant. In that season Ade was such physical presence upfront, held up the ball very well and bagged 24 league goals that 1 season. PFA team of year that season too.

9. Lacca - Rightly voted our player season who is a very well rounded CF who has excellent work rate and very good link up play and hold up play.

10. Wiltord - an underrated player who played both CF and on the wing well. Was top scorer in the league in the first part of one season where he was utilised as CF. Had a habit of scoring important goals and in particular his goals against Utd. Had a very poweful shot on him too.

11. Suker - We signed him a year after he came second in the Ballon D'or only to Zidane who had greatest individual performing year of his career. After Bergkamp Suker was far the biggest name and most established world class player Wenger had signed for us. Suker though failed to have to expected impact of a player of his quality and was just a very good and a useful third choice striker for us in his only season with us.

12. Giroud - an extremely fustrating player to watch. Giroud was talented (eg scorpion kick goal and his assists on the Podolski and Gibbs volleys)but wasted it diving, freighning injury, looking at the ref for support, lack of work rate, winning headers in the middle of the park just to head it opposition players, constant slowing down our attacking movements and often losing possesion cheaply made it easy to dislike him.

13. Kanu - in his first 2 seasons he was decent good but it does not get stressed enough just how completely woeful he was in his last 4 seasons for us. Lazy, slowed down our attacking movements which more often than not resulted him giving away possesion cheaply.

14. Eduardo - In terms of pure ability to finish goal scoring chances he was excellent. Played well when he first joined when we had two upfront but unfortunately for him we along with majority of teams at the time changed our formation to 4-2-3-1. Eduardo failed to adapt to this formation and couldn't lead the team upfront as the lone CF. Also that horrible injury contributed to this as well.

15. Hartson - was an old fashioned stereotype targetman. Hartson was nothing speical but he gave us a different kind of striker to Bergkamp and Wright. Hartson was a useful option to come off the bench and did the job that was expected of him.

Reyes - I left Reyes off of my list. Peoples opinions on him where torn if he was better as striker or a winger and as winger which side suited him better. I dont think Reyes with Henry worked as partnership upfront although Reyes did play well upfront together in limited matches with RVP. I myself left him off the list as always viewed Reyes as being a playmaking winger myself (who was very good passer) and played much more there than CF.

Although i had shirts and Magazines around the time Smithy was playing I cant recall him or Kevin Campbell playing as I was young.

giphy.gif

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
He just didn't want to be stuck in the friendzone. Also signing on bonuses every summer meant new party for his brothers every year.

We should have signed him after he settled down at Bolton and before he went to Chelsea. He could have played a part here!

Or some clubs put him in friend zone ?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Anelka had a great career, despite basically swapping clubs every season!

A Double with us and Chelsea, Champions League with Madrid and a Euros with his country...not too shabby.

Plus, he had a relatively low release clause in Championship Manager 03/04, him up front with the legendary Pablo Aimar as a 10 did great things for me in my Valencia save :drool:

Can’t believe I forgot Sanchez in my list though ffs!

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

A Double with us and Chelsea, Champions League with Madrid and a Euros with his country...not too shabby.

Plus, he had a relatively low release clause in Chsmpionship Manager 03/04, him up front with the legendary Pablo Aimar as a 10 did great things for me in my Valencia save :drool:

I always forgot about Sanchez and his time at Arsenal :lol:,kinda gone out of my memory so quick,like he never played for us.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Guys like Sanchez, Reyes, Walcott, Wiltord etc weren’t really strikers for us.

I agree with Walcott and Reyes. Alexis third season with us though he was used manily as CF and Wiltord got his more than fair share of games at CF.

Plus, he had a relatively low release clause in Chsmpionship Manager 03/04, him up front with the legendary Pablo Aimar as a 10 did great things for me in my Valencia save :drool:

You know you can still play Championship manager if you want too!

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Kanu was amazing from 1999-2000, fell of a bit after the arrival of Henry, plus there was a good chance Kanu was already 35 when he joined us, which would also explain the steep decline :lol:

If I saw all of Kanu he would be above loads on my list, top player and a top man too.

But you rate fat boy Lacazette over him? He wouldn’t even make my top 50.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Eduardo could done much more,no doubt about that.That injury just killed his chances to become world class striker.

Missed most of 2008-09 season and never recovered later on.

Eduadro didnt have the best off the ball movement to get himself into goal scoring opportunities( Giroud was great at this but wasted so many chances). When Eduadro did get a chance, he buried it.

The best atmosphere at a game I've been to is Eduardo first match back after the leg break. A FA cup match against Cardif in which he scored twice. The whole of the Emirates didn't stop singing his name throughout the entire match despite going off.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom