• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Imagine blaming whole results on one player who didn’t even make any significant mistakes. That’s how a minority treat Xhaka. We lose? It’s Xhaka’s fault even when he plays well. No top 4 in the last 3 years? Xhaka’s fault.

All this in spite of statistics which say the win rate during all that time is higher with Xhaka in the team than out of it.

Agenda merchants.
Why are you creating this childish straw man and argue against it? It really doesn't impress to be honest.

I honestly do not feel that the general view of the ones criticising Xhaka is that he is absolutely worthless and doesn't have some strengths, but that we should do better in his position and that he has some serious weaknesses.

Argue against the actual issues raised with him, e.g. that he is slow, very one footed, stiff and un-athletic, not press resistant, that we need to accommodate in our tactical setup for his many weaknesses etc. instead of creating this silly straw man argument and talk about agenda merchants. I am sure you can do better.

Manberg

Predator
Why are you creating this childish straw man and argue against it? It really doesn't impress to be honest.

I honestly do not feel that the general view of the ones criticising Xhaka is that he is absolutely worthless and doesn't have some strengths, but that we should do better in his position and that he has some serious weaknesses.

Argue against the actual issues raised with him, e.g. that he is slow, very one footed, stiff and un-athletic, not press resistant, that we need to accommodate in our tactical setup for his many weaknesses etc. instead of creating this silly straw man argument and talk about agenda merchants. I am sure you can do better.

Stay in your lane son.

P.S: what’s a straw man?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
[
Imagine blaming whole results on one player who didn’t even make any significant mistakes. That’s how a minority treat Xhaka. We lose? It’s Xhaka’s fault even when he plays well. No top 4 in the last 3 years? Xhaka’s fault.

All this in spite of statistics which say the win rate during all that time is higher with Xhaka in the team than out of it.

Agenda merchants.
He's not the only problem and he is definitely not the only player to blame for our situation, but I'm shocked how so many people (including managers) think that he is a key member of our team while other players of his level get so much abuse from the fans and managers.
Xhaka is a midfield version of Mustafi and Bellerin, players with so many flaws in key aspects of their game.
I have no idea how someone can rate Xhaka but complain about Bellerin or Kolasinac in another thread, it's basically the same level of not good enough players for the level we want to be at

Manberg

Predator
[

He's not the only problem and he is definitely not the only player to blame for our situation, but I'm shocked how so many people (including managers) think that he is a key member of our team while other players of his level get so much abuse from the fans and managers.
Xhaka is a midfield version of Mustafi and Bellerin, players with so many flaws in key aspects of their game.
I have no idea how someone can rate Xhaka but complain about Bellerin or Kolasinac in another thread, it's basically the same level of not good enough players for the level we want to be at

Every player has weaknesses, but most top players, including Xhaka, have more strengths than weaknesses. Xhaka has a great passing range, great reading of the game, the ability to dictate tempo and to switch the play.

Manberg

Predator
My reasoning for making straw man arguments is because I’ve been debating the same points with the same people multiple times in the old thread, and it’s just got repetitive and not worth much effort.
I’ve discussed in great detail all about Xhaka’s strengths, why managers highly rate him, tactics, form, statistics, character and all that stuff before.

WilshereGone

Managers choose not to control games in the middle when using a 3-4-3. 3-4-3 means you have a two man midfield, who will get outnumbered by 3 or 4 man midfields, which most teams use. We don’t play through the middle in this formation, we look to play down the wings instead. The 2 man midfield has a defending or a supporting role. They’re not trying to control games by keeping the ball in the middle they will look to win the ball then pass it to the sides.
You’ll never control possession in midfield with a two man midfield no matter who you play.
I’m not advocating to change it because it’s working well, some people don’t seem to understand tactics though.
We only played 343 down the last stretch of the season though, and IIRC a big part of the reason for that is because we couldn't control games in the 4231/433 and our defence got overwhelmed, so Arteta just thought it better to switch to 343 and go all in on being a more secure unit. We can't control games no matter what formation we play.

This is not to say Xhaka's rubbish, but his role is possibly more crucial than any other in a team, and imo its the most important upgrade we can make.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Every player has weaknesses, but most top players, including Xhaka, have more strengths than weaknesses. Xhaka has a great passing range, great reading of the game, the ability to dictate tempo and to switch the play.
Most of that is a myth. For a player who has a great passing range, I can't remember a single through ball or assist that came from him, and for a player who "dictates tempo", he doesn't have the agility and confidence on the ball to do it properly, that's why Ceballos took control of everything since the restart of the season.
For me, his strengths are his positioning and helping CB's with clearing crosses/set-pieces, but that's not enough to be a default starter at the top club

Manberg

Predator
We only played 343 down the last stretch of the season though, and IIRC a big part of the reason for that is because we couldn't control games in the 4231/433 and our defence got overwhelmed, so Arteta just thought it better to switch to 343 and go all in on being a more secure unit. We can't control games no matter what formation we play.

This is not to say Xhaka's rubbish, but his role is possibly more crucial than any other in a team, and imo its the most important upgrade we can make.

With Guendouzi in a supporting role and Torreira playing as a #10? Hardly Xhaka’s fault that we played poorly, yet Xhaka got most of the blame for no reason aka Crystal Palace.
We need top midfielders to play with Xhaka so that we can operate a midfield 3. Partey being a suitable example. Besides, we’re strongest down the wings and in attack so the 3-4-3 is utilised to make the most of our strengths.

Manberg

Predator
Most of that is a myth. For a player who has a great passing range, I can't remember a single through ball or assist that came from him, and for a player who "dictates tempo", he doesn't have the agility and confidence on the ball to do it properly, that's why Ceballos took control of everything since the restart of the season.
For me, his strengths are his positioning and helping CB's with clearing crosses/set-pieces, but that's not enough to be a default starter at the top club

You must fail to notice his cross field passes to find players in space, I’d urge you to watch Xhaka compilation videos on youtube.
He was getting assists and goals in his first season but since then he’s been moved to a deeper role with defensive responsibilities. In this role he’s a deep lying playmaker and looks to dictate tempo and spread the play but he’s not required to be assisting. Under Arteta his role has so far been even more disciplined and highly tactical.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If Xhaka is as good as you all say when it comes to anything then we wouldn't have:

Drawn four games in a row from January 1st, three against midtable sides.
Lost four games
Knocked out of the Europa League by Olympiacos
I'm not even counting what happened in the first half of the season

From January 1st we were 7th in the form table. Why are you leaving out a month just to suit your narrative?

The way your post is worded, it sounds like we were comfortably 4th in the form table from your arbitrary point in the timeline. We had 26 points.
The next 3 teams
5th- 26 points
6th - 25 points
7th 25 points
8th- 24 points.

So with Xhaka in the team, the guy who is so good at facing the press we were 2 points better than the side who was 8th in the form table.

Well done.
As good as I say? How good have I said he is?

All I’ve said is he’s not the guy who crumbles at the slightest hint of a press like you suggest. If he did then we would lose every single game we play against good pressing sides no?

It’s quite simple logic.

p.s. I’ve read the rest of the post and seen you trying to blame Xhaka for us losing to Olympiacos? Dumb.

P.s.s I haven’t picked a time period to suit my narrative, I’m literally using the graphics in the Arteta thread that have us 4th since he took over or something like that. I don’t have an agenda or narrative, I just call it as I see it. You’re the one blaming losses on a single player.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We play 3 at the back due to having poor defenders and a lack of athleticism in midfield btw.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
[

It’s called being a delusional fanboy

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
People who criticise xhaka....at least you should come up with a solution. Which deep lying playmakers are you going to replace Xhaka with?

These are the best candidates I have suggested. Other players seems unable to replaced his long range passes and dictating tempo ability.

Who out of these three deep lying playmakers would you prefer? Or do you just hate deep lying playmakers in general?

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
People who criticise xhaka....at least you should come up with a solution. Which deep lying playmakers are you going to replace Xhaka with?

These are the best candidates I have suggested. Other players seems unable to replaced his long range passes and dictating tempo ability.
Arsenal was a top 4 club before his "irreplaceable" long range passes and we've lost the control in midfield since we bought him, even against small clubs.
People are building illusions in their heads with myths about his passing, but the reality was that Ceballos was playing that role since the restart and Xhaka was used more as someone who would sit around CB's and help them with the pressure. If anything, he is one of the most unreliable people on the ball and no way someone like that dictates the tempo of our game

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Arsenal was a top 4 club before his "irreplaceable" long range passes and we've lost the control in midfield since we bought him, even against small clubs.
People are building illusions in their heads with myths about his passing, but the reality was that Ceballos was playing that role since the restart and Xhaka was used more as someone who would sit around CB's and help them with the pressure. If anything, he is one of the most unreliable people on the ball and no way someone like that dictates the tempo of our game
Ceballos long pass is far from that standard and he is not a player who can dictate the tempo (make decision for the team on when to play slow/quick, when to play short/long passes.) That’s why Cuisance, Tonali, Roca are better players to replace Xhaka.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Ceballos long pass is far from that standard and he is not a player who can dictate the tempo (make decision for the team on when to play slow/quick, when to play short/long passes.) That’s why Cuisance, Tonali, Roca are better players to replace Xhaka.
I'm not saying Ceballos is "the man", I'm saying he took the role from Xhaka and Xhaka was used in a different way, that's why I'm confused why people see Xhaka as our deep playmaker when he constantly fails to have any control in midfield with the ball.
If Xhaka needs to play, it would only be as a 3rd CB who moves into midfield once we have the ball, everything else is a waste of time

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I'm not saying Ceballos is "the man", I'm saying he took the role from Xhaka and Xhaka was used in a different way, that's why I'm confused why people see Xhaka as our deep playmaker when he constantly fails to have any control in midfield with the ball.
If Xhaka needs to play, it would only be as a 3rd CB who moves into midfield once we have the ball, everything else is a waste of time
Agree that Cuisance, Tonali or Roca would be great replacement?

scytheavatar

Established Member

Agenda merchants.

Xhaka is our only senior midfielder (at least excluding Elneny)........ when even relegation candidate teams are dominating us in midfield then who should we blame? Should we blame Ceballos, Torreira or Guendouzi instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom