• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A realistic discussion of potential striker targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris66

A lot has been written about people we may or may not buy as an extra striker during the transfer window, but I can't see us signing anyone who is not eligible for the Champions League (if we beat Loko). This leaves us with very few targets really as nearly everyone that has been mentioned has either played in the Champions league or Uefa Cup, making them ineligible.

Arsène is only going to bring in someone in January (as opposed to wait for the summer when our finances will hopefully be in better shape) who is going to play so people like Defoe are unlikely as Aliadiere is probably as good if not better and already with us. Smith is a possibility, but is really more of a deep player than an out and out striker, whereas Viduka would not fit with us at all.

Eto, Kluivert and even Anelka would all be nice but with Dennis not travelling I can't see that we need another domestic only player unless we are buying them as a long term bet. In which case, perhaps Kluivert is the only real possibility as his contract situation means he will be available at a low, as opposed to inflated, price in January.

Are there other players who are either not cup-tied or who would be a good long term fit for Arsenal and likely to be available on the cheap for contractual reasons that I am missing?

lewdikris

Established Member
A lot depends on who goes.

Wiltord will, I think. I just can't see him staying. Kanu will be off to the African Nations in January, making it likely he will stay until the end of his contract.

More than likely that will mean we do move for a striker. It could be Kluivert, but he's still cup tied, having played in the UEFA cup. Therefore Defoe and all those others become possible targets - but there must be others in Europe similarly good, and also non-cup tied.

Much will depend on how well Aliadiere progresses. If Wenger thinks he can handle the pressure should the burden fall on him to partner Henry in away CL matches. This is a big month for him - and he's started it very well. He needs a few premiership goals to prove himself though. Wenger clearly wants him to progress, and he evidently has a lot of talent. His second last night was brilliant.

Of course, should we screw up against Lokomitiv next week, it all becomes academic. He could then go for Eto'o, no matter that he'll miss all of Jan and Feb due to the African Nations. I think it's possible he may go for him anyway, and let Ali step up, or share the burden with Kanu and Bergkamp.

Otherwise, I think he might strengthen elsewhere.

Boumsong, I think is a realistic target. Kolo's future might be at right back - a kind of Thuram player, and Keown can't survive much longer, and Cygan, however well he's played, just ain't dependable enough longterm. But then, he may simply bring back Volz, and introduce extra competition in defence that way.

If Volz comes back, it begs the question: what about Pennant? He's done ok at Leeds, but hasn't set the world on fire. We do need an alternative threat on the wings, but if he's it or not i don't know.

What Wenger may do instead is to bring Kolo's brother Yaya over from Beveren. He's a real strong attacking midfielder, and could be the random element we need. A massive prospect.

So at the maximum i'd say he'd go for:

Eto'o (8 mill), Boumsong (2-3 mill), Yaya Toure (not a lot)- all for about 10 million in total.

Otherwise, I dunno. The top players are getting ever more clustered around the clubs with European qualification, making them largely redundant when January comes around.

Adam

Established Member
I'd go with what Lewdikris has put there and hope for the addition of Trabelsi.

However, i don't believe Etoo has the technical ability and vision to be a part of Wengerball. Would he be able to play through balls and show vision? If he can't, then it is unlikely he would be compatible. Whatever anyone says - it IS the biggest requirement for a CF to make it at Arsenal.

baccy_man

Established Member
i was under the impression that we were going to get kluivert on loan in january with the option to buy in the summer . that was the rumours a few weeks ago

goonads

keown is almost at the end of his career anyway so we will need a new CB within a season regardless. even now he gets injured almost everytime he plays which only leaves cygan as backup.

does anyone know if we will lose toure to the african nations cup in january as well?

KoLo28

toure, campbell, senderos, cygan i think we need a striker much more than a CB. i think we get volz back and perhaps use lauren at RM some of the time. a good striker will just top it all off, bring Alan Smith to Arsenal.

Superdudes

smith has shown that he can be the fox in the box.. with leeds facing a slump (though this could be prevent by the takeover by the sheikh) i reckon that he might be come cheap..

why not try darius vasell.. villa is not playing at euro thus he's not cup tied.. his credential speaks well of him.. he's also fast and is also a natural goal poacher.. the way i see it in the world cup, he was the best player against sweden.. eventhough he doesn't have a goal to his name at the moment, i think that it's just a matter of time before he open his scoring account..

james beattie is powerful and strong.. his aerial ability is also good.. i feel that among the strikers that are listed here, he's the best player to accomodate henry.. his club form is also great and he has already scored 7 goals in 14 games.. if he comes to arsenal and get better service than where he gets them now.. he'll rack at least 20 goals in the premier league..

if we were to spite Sp**s, why not try to mimic the campbell saga..get robbie keane.. from what i've seen, he's a skillful and physical type of striker.. this move is highly feasible as i can't wait to see the red faces of the Sp**s fan if keane were to come over..

i believe that aliadere will turn out world class for us one day but i think that day will come for us next season or the season after.. but for now, he still haven't got a lot of games under his belt and wouldn't be expected to play the big matches as a 1st starter.. thus buying one of the 4 striker here is essential and won't burn a hole in the kitty bag.. the four striker here aren't really 1st class but its a realistic target.. anyway who from arsenal came here after he was a world class..

much thx have to be given to the manager for his managerial capabilities and guidance..

A.Hussain

wenger will not give up on reyes.... keep this in mind. well see what will happen in the summer, if not in january. even if he has to wenger would sell either of pennant and volz or both to get more money to invest a full kitty just for reyes

A

Anonymous

kluvert to partner henry

yaya toure to partner vieria

and backup for campbell or kolo

wiltord , kanu and bergie to go fast.

i hear cygan will be going also

we need to streamline fast. get quality not quanity :mrgreen:

thegame24

Established Member
i think hes gonna for 2 strikers.

kluivert 5 and reyes 5 suites me. but i reckon defoe is very likely smith is good but he will never leave leeds even if they get relegated.

rivaldo is free but he is a bloody greedy bastard.

JGooner

wenger said he wanted two strikers at the AGM, so i doubt he will go for boumsong. in any case, it is too big a risk to buy a defender who has only proven himself in the french league - he has surely learnt his lesson from cygan.

as for the strikers, there are so many ones we have been closely linked to - eto'o, kluivert, reyes, smith, viduka, defoe, etc. if myles palmer is right that two strikers signed for a few weeks ago, then one of them could be kluivert as he was in town on the same day. my preference would be for eto'o or smith, though reyes would be ideal if we could afford him.

JGooner

myles palmer said he received a phone call from a source saying that two players had signed for arsenal. they were shown round the stadium, london colney, etc. palmer guessed that one of them could be eto'o. you can find it on www.anr.uk.com

Adam

Established Member
JGooner said:
wenger said he wanted two strikers at the AGM, so i doubt he will go for boumsong. in any case, it is too big a risk to buy a defender who has only proven himself in the french league - he has surely learnt his lesson from cygan.

Boumsong has performed well at International level, and has far better physical qualities than Cygan. He has speed. I feel he is less of a risk than any other defender and he would be for a mininal price (if not, on a free). He would be good cover as third choice CB if Keown retires, and Cygan leaves. Leaving Senderos as 4th choice (he's still got along time to prove himself).

The right back situation is more complicated. In real reflection - none of us 100 percent believe in Lauren on the long term. Depending on how good Volz/Hoyte can be for us, then a top class RB like Trabelsi would be very helpfull for the squad.

Arsène may have said two strikers, but would he have envisaged this Kanu resurgance? Will Wiltord leave for certain or will he accept the contract offered? That is another factor.

The two strikers we would supposedly bring in would undermine a faith in the youngsters. The January window may see two players arrive, and confirm the exit of two more (Wiltord/Kanu, plus the Bergkamp retiring issue). There are many variables.

Looking at this one realistically, and knowing Wenger and his respect for players - i believe it is likely Kanu and Bergkamp will decide to stay for longer, and that Wiltord will be allowed to go to a French team. This leaves a space for Bentley and Aliadiere to come in. Not neccesarily room for 1/2 more strikers.

But if he is going all out for strikers - Etoo, Kluivert and Reyes appear to have been targeted (although really we have no clue).

But one thing that determines an transfer activity is:

If the youngsters are good enough - then we don't need a single player.

And of course, the little thing about money.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
At the risk of getting boring, I think we really need a right sided winger. I really do not know who that would be, but this is our weakness.

Runs down the right are rare, mostly Wiltord has been doing this, but not that effectively. I agree with Lewdikris when he said that Toure would make a superb right back Thuram style player, so thats the back up maybe, but just who is this right sided winger? Pennant?, sorry but not that impressed yet, maybe I am wrong.

Any ideas?

On the subject of strikers, I think we already did a deal for Kluivert with all the Cesc and Gio and the fact that they owe us money from Overmars still and also a gate from a friendly.

Adam

Established Member
Lauren would provide a solid right side option. He would be the most orthodox in the right wing position. Pennant - i think alot of us have accepted that he may be a dissapointment.

Superdudes

if reyes were to come in during jan, pires might be move to right mid, reyes taking over pires current position..
if wiltord, kanu and bergy were to leave, Arsène might need to buy a genuine 1st striker.. aliadere is good enough for a place on the bench and the odd games.. but if a club was to succeed, they need at least 4 strikers.. one of the two strikers might be kluivert, as he might be the best short term striking options.. and i prefer the other spot to go to smith (long term).. leaving bentley and papa d will get the fa and carling cup games.. i think that if boumsong was to come over, he'll be starting at centre back with toure shifting to right back.. this defence will make a mouth watering prospect.. with volz, clichy, senderos.. when campbell or boumsong is suspended/injured toure will shift back to central defence with volztaking the right back position.. hoyte might be send on loan to other clubs.. this will get him more games under his belt..

A

Anonymous

JGooner said:

as for the strikers, there are so many ones we have been closely linked to - eto'o, kluivert, reyes, smith, viduka, defoe, etc. if myles palmer is right that two strikers signed for a few weeks ago, then one of them could be kluivert as he was in town on the same day. my preference would be for eto'o or smith, though reyes would be ideal if we could afford him.

interesting. does anyone know if klivert was seem at the Arsenal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta
Top Bottom