• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A realistic discussion of potential striker targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Pikeypete said:
Sol, "AW likes to play a withdrawn striker". I reckon Arsène is hoping to play Henry deep with an out an out striker in front of him. Henry likes to create chances as a playmaker and make rapid runs at the defence to score classic Henry goals. So why cant Henry play deep and have a Smith or Eto further forward?

No, i dont want Wenger to change the role of Henry. The way he is playing now is where i want him to stay.
You cant really define the role he plays, because it varies so much. But i dont want him to be a withdrawn stiker to an out and out forward. The way he leads our attack by himself at times is too important.

Pikeypete

Then make Pires a striking partner and put Freddie on the left. Have Bergkamp, Aliadiere as reserves. Assuming Wiltord and Kanu leave..
Then we dont need to buy, we have 4 strikers. Bobby can score great goals and is a superb playmaker. We can then focus on a suitable RM player.

A

Anonymous

Pikeypete said:
Then make Pires a striking partner and put Freddie on the left. Have Bergkamp, Aliadiere as reserves. Assuming Wiltord and Kanu leave..
Then we dont need to buy, we have 4 strikers. Bobby can score great goals and is a superb playmaker. We can then focus on a suitable RM player.

That is one of the many options open, but would leave us with little to no cover in the event of an injury to Henry, or any of our strikers for that matter.

The need for a stirker is greater than the need for a RM.

Jinn

Established Member
Pikeypete said:

That's just shifting the problem. And it would disrupt the team.

It would probably be much better to give Ali a go, and if he's good enough, use him more. If not, buy someone in the summer.

Jinn

Established Member
BTW, on ArsenalPlus, Wenger does say we have money available for transfers. So rest assured we'll buy someone soon!

He then says, "..the situation is linked to... uhm.. the club is doing well, financially."

Tantilising.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we will see more of our younger players coming through
Can not think of someone that will come and able to play in CL
Maybe someone that is not as well known and our Super Arsène will of uncovered another gem

Taozhe

it would however be interesting to see who is coming in, many say Etoo was seen at the training grounds but its just a rumour :)

patrick42uk

Established Member
Natnat said:
I think we will see more of our younger players coming through
Can not think of someone that will come and able to play in CL
Maybe someone that is not as well known and our Super Arsène will of uncovered another gem

out of all the names being thrown around on this thread and all the suggestions and permutations, this is the most realistic i'v heard and agree with.

lewdikris

Established Member
Sorry, but undiscovered gems are becoming ever less available - the scouting and recruitment networks of the top clubs are stronger than ever, and smaller clubs don't have the finances to keep wonder-kids beyond the age of 16. If that.

The situation's the other way round: the big clubs are producing average talent to feed to the smaller clubs. Just think of Sidwell, Halls plus quite a few others from the reserves who will all go on elsewhere - and become key players of the teams they go to.

The tug of wars over players as young and talented as Cesc and Senderos was massively intense - and Reyes, whose still a relative novice, or Rooney could command unthinkably large fees. That's the way it is.

Young and brilliant means in the public eye fast = expensive.

patrick42uk

Established Member
lewdikris said:
Sorry, but undiscovered gems are becoming ever less available - the scouting and recruitment networks of the top clubs are stronger than ever, and smaller clubs don't have the finances to keep wonder-kids beyond the age of 16. If that.

The situation's the other way round: the big clubs are producing average talent to feed to the smaller clubs. Just think of Sidwell, Halls plus quite a few others from the reserves who will all go on elsewhere - and become key players of the teams they go to.

The tug of wars over players as young and talented as Cesc and Senderos was massively intense - and Reyes, whose still a relative novice, or Rooney could command unthinkably large fees. That's the way it is.

Young and brilliant means in the public eye fast = expensive.

i disagree, the tug of war you refer to only come about with young players that have established high profiles through the media. Reyes has been getting coverage since he was 17, and rooney 16. Further proof of that comes from cesc, who prior to the u-17 tournament, had agreed to join us without any opposition from barca. however he shone in that tournament and thats when the tug of war ensued, because of that coverage he got. There are vast amounts of young players out there who havent got such coverage, and therefore wont command ridiculously high prices. And like you said, the scouting is improving, none much more than arsenal's, and i am confident in wenger's ability to find potential in players that no others see. Take kolo toure, signed from asec mimosas. who knew anything about him? we signed him for nothing over 500,000k. Arsène saw somehing in him and he is now fufilling his potential.

A.Hussain

i can see freddie being convereted to a striker if pennant comes back... le bob will prolly still live in the midfield

A.Hussain

also i have a feeling wenger will be wanting to convert toure II into a striker from a center mid. that is how he was played when he was training wit us in austria and the local english teams in the preseason

A

Anonymous

toure ii looks really good

another master stroke by wenger

however if only he gets a striker to partner henry :D

Adam

Established Member
Yaya Toure will be a fans favourite. Superb talent, superb name, and his brother isn't bad, is he?

GoonerLuke

Yaya is definitely coming to Arsenal. He is only at Beveren because Arsène wants him there right now. As soon as he is ready, he will come. I think he is a rather similar player to Svard. Does anybody know how Svard is doing with Copenhagen? Wenger's decision to send him there still puzzles me.

Also, I think our transfer activity this January and this Summer will depend a lot on whether or not we get into the knock out phase of the CL. If we do, we will have at least 10 million more pounds to work with. We need to beat Lokomotiv!

GlasgowGooner

I still reckon Bernardo Corradi of Lazio would be our best realistic option. His style of play would suit the premiership all-be-it he does have some baggage, and most of all he is the type of striker we need. With Lazio looking likely to exit the CL, Lazio will be forced to sell their players on the cheap which is why i reckon we should go for him, he scored a cracker of a header vs Juve last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury
Top Bottom