• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby

Vieira was very good at making tackles high and in the middle of the pitch to create our famous counter attacks that would usually win the gmaes for us. but also u have to admit that vieira was very prone to giving the ball away in midfield. he started to do that alot in the 04/05 season when fabregas was showing him how to play.

guenuk

been said:
lol actually i think the next vieira tag might be bad luck loll just look at how many people have gotten it and never become the next Vieira but sitll a good palyer

M.Diarra
A.Diarra
Diaby hopefully
Y.Toure
A.Song
Sissoko (he never impresses me)

Surprised your opinion of sissoko ,when Liverpool first signed him I was like 'sissoko who'? thought here we go again some crap african midfielder hyped up as the next big thing but salif diao he most certainly isn't.

The majority of Liverpool fans really rate him and if the fans rate a player they are usually correct . For a young lad to come to the premiership and actually improve the balance of Liverpool's central midfield when it already had alonso and gerrard is an achievement in itself. We look far more balanced with him in the team.

Believe me the lad is the real deal .

Arsenal_FAN1983

Diaby looks to have the necessary raw attributes for an excellent CM, he is big, strong and powerful, and most importantly good on the ball, by using his physical presence. He has mis-timed a few tackles here and there, but he only came in the team last January. Before he got that horrible injury he looked like he was more calm on the pitch, his positioning got better and his movement was more quicker.

Dougan17

I've never seen another player that looks so like Patrick Vieira. It's not like saying "oh yeah he's a big tall black midfielder with long legs who can ride through challenges, let's call him the next Vieira" the way some ignorant folks do, the way he carries himself, the way he moves through challenges, the way he challenges himself, the way he positions himself and the passes he make look just like a young Vieira. I see this young battling midfielder going on those little maurauding runs through thick midfields, challenging two, three players at a time and still coming up with the ball and finding a great lateral pass and I half expect to see him turn and see Vieira written on the shirt. He's probably the only young player in the spotlight who deserves the tag because he looks JUST like Vieira did when he was starting at Arsenal.

I think the biggest problem he had last season was a lack of width when players like Eboue were out of the side. Whenever he's played with a full strength side he's looked immense, when he's thrown in with Fabregas on the wing and Song behind him and no fullbacks he looks like a 19 year old, but he looks well beyond his years when given the full team to work with.

I think that he and muamba are the central pairing of the long-term future for us, imo, unless Fabregas stays, obviously.

imo the problem people have is that they keep thinking he's a straight DMF, he's a holding MF at best, more of a true all-around CM. He's a player, like Vieira who is best when PARTNERED with a DMF like Gilberto, not one who should be replacing him.

Diaby is good, I think Harry Redknapp said after the the game at Portsmouth (where Arsenal drew 1-1) that Diaby reminded him of a young Vieira.

Anyways we still have 4 good central midfielders.

Rosicky, Gilberto, Diaby and Fabregas

i'm glad to see a topic devoted to diaby. he was the first player i started watching during my first arsenal game (vs. blackburn, i believe). i was especially impressed with his dribbling and ambition.

i noticed a headline on skysports recently, some manager is calling for players to stop diving. i'm not sure who or where that manager's from (i think in the premiership), but is that even a possibility, or wishful thinking. and if the diving where eliminated for the most part, would it help refs/the powers that be notice the bad tackles, i.e. diaby's injury & lack of justice? thanks.

qs

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
Me<-- said:
Its a fairly moot point about paddy anyway but Diaby is a pale imitation of him i just hope Le boss is right and can tune him up suficciently to make me eat my words.

That or get rid.

i don't really think diaby is the next vieira. he's a different kind of player; better going forward, but not as good defensively. diaby is better off the ball than vieira was, i.e. his runs off the ball are better, but he lacks vieira's natural presence, positioning skills and timing. diaby will never be the central 'hub' at arsenal. he'll never be the midfield general, commanding and controlling the team.

i havent seen anything to suggest that yet.

You think of how often Vieira made late runs into the box to come onto the end of Bergkamp or Henry pass.

kel varnsen

Established Member
qs said:
kel varnsen said:
Me<-- said:
Its a fairly moot point about paddy anyway but Diaby is a pale imitation of him i just hope Le boss is right and can tune him up suficciently to make me eat my words.

That or get rid.

i don't really think diaby is the next vieira. he's a different kind of player; better going forward, but not as good defensively. diaby is better off the ball than vieira was, i.e. his runs off the ball are better, but he lacks vieira's natural presence, positioning skills and timing. diaby will never be the central 'hub' at arsenal. he'll never be the midfield general, commanding and controlling the team.

You think of how often Vieira made late runs into the box to come onto the end of Bergkamp or Henry pass.

runs off the ball is much more than just into the box. diaby moves better off the ball in general. he is better at finding space up the pitch than vieira was. vieira never made a lot of good runs into the box; he made some here and there, but he was primarliy a player who were stronger on the ball, than he was off it. at least going forward.

XWA

I think everybody is overrating Diaby. He is a good player with lot to offer to the squad, but he isn't there yet and has many things he has to work on. Everybody is comparing him with Vieira and because of that the boy is the "New Vieira". Sad actually, because when in the future he doesn't preform then he properbly is rated as "crap". Let the Guy develop slowly and do his thing

shonsuperstar

That news on arsenal.com is absolutely awsome, it sounds like is career is not under threat at all if there is a possibility of a November return (unlikely possibilty albeit) when we all thought that February-ish was the soonest possible. And XWA,mate, Diaby has already proven what he is able to offer this team, strength in the midfield and an eye for a pass and he is not afraid to run with the ball, his sheer power alows him to run past other players with ease. If you look at his games you will see that he can dribble his way out of sittuations that seems like theres no way out. If he was playing for any team outside the top 4, he would be their star player.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Good to hear that he is ahead of schedule. Hopefully, he can pick up where he left off pretty quickly.

Obviously a good pre season would have been ideal to settle him into the team a little better, but he is only young and Im sure he will have no problems adjusting in the future and will put this injury behind him.

th14fan

qs
I didn't start the Vieira talk did I. I merely said to me, he looks like he emulates him. Who knows, he might turn out to be better than Vieira. But right or wrong, it is my opinion if I think he looks like Vieira, and by the looks of it, looks like I am not alone in my assessment of his style either. Chill out dude, you are the one who lashed out at me remember.

qs

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
qs said:
kel varnsen said:
Me<-- said:

That or get rid.

runs off the ball is much more than just into the box. diaby moves better off the ball in general. he is better at finding space up the pitch than vieira was. vieira never made a lot of good runs into the box; he made some here and there, but he was primarliy a player who were stronger on the ball, than he was off it. at least going forward.

I knoiw what Vieiras strongest points were but even movement off the ball, which wasnt one of his strongest points, is better than Diabys.

For me Diabys got 2 main attributes he has good vision and he's got great close control. He's very very raw. Miles off being good enough to play first team football.

His movement off the ball is not spectacular at all. Vieiras wasnt amazing but experience had made it decent. Diaby needs time to develop.

Right now he just isnt good enough.

qs

Established Member
XWA said:
I think everybody is overrating Diaby. He is a good player with lot to offer to the squad, but he isn't there yet and has many things he has to work on. Everybody is comparing him with Vieira and because of that the boy is the "New Vieira". Sad actually, because when in the future he doesn't preform then he properbly is rated as "crap". Let the Guy develop slowly and do his thing

Thank god, someone with a bit of reason.

navdon

If Diaby was fit for the start of this season, he would have made a big impact, I'm sure of that. But because of this injury, I fear he's going to struggle. From what i saw of him last season, he looked good but rough around the edges. His passing and tackling was very good and his drives forward were good as well. Wenger bought him for games against the likes of Blackbrun and Bolton, his sheer strength and build would be intimidating for anyone! I can't wait for him to come back from his injury because it will feel like a new signing!

Come on Arsenal!!

Kenyonhater

Makes me laugh how people are writing him off and saying he isn't this and he can't do that. The boy was 19 when he arrived and had played very few games at his club last season. FFS give him some time to adapt to a totally new environment. If you're basing your comments on how he played in his few appearances for us then frankly that's just stupid. All the talk from coaches who've worked with him, journalists who've watched him develop and Mr Wenger himself suggest that this boy has it in him to become a fantastic, all-round, dominating central midfielder. Why do you think so many clubs were after him, including the Chelscum?

But I guess you guys know best...

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom