• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
The people calling him a mercenary now are the same people who were saying he would ride the bench at City. 'Pointless him going there', they said. 'Who's he going to displace?', they asked. 'He lose's the ball too much for City, he wont fit in' they said'....

Arsenal go to sh!t, Man City refuse to meet his demands and so takes the best offer on the table from 2nd placed CL club, Man Utd, for 500k a week.

"Mercenary!!!" :lol:

Who the hell said he would ride the bench at City? Also, you just admitted his behavior was mercenary. I quote you directly: "Man City refuse to meet his demands." So did Bayern. If it was really about the trophies and the chance to win things, his demands wouldn't have been so high and he wouldn't have necessarily taken the best financial offer.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Money isn't always everything. As Keown said, Alexis is a mercenary. If he really wanted to "win the Champions League," then he would've gone to Bayern in the summer.

Bit disingenuous to put the transfer fee on the player in this way, as well as the signing fee. This is incredibly misleading as it's not typically included when people discuss weekly wages etc. You could argue that it should be, but then we should talk wages in the way the Americans do with their sports, ie. "X player has been handed a 5 year, $120m deal".

Every single player's reported wage would skyrocket if you included their signing fees, so this is a pseudo-hatchet job on Sanchez to make him seem more greedy than he is.

It's common for the signing fee to be equal to an entire year's worth of wages. I know this because I've dealt with it and have mates that've dealt with it as well, big and small. It is the standard practice, and the fee will naturally grow as wages increase. Similar to a security deposit for an apartment, kind of.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Bit disingenuous to put the transfer fee on the player in this way, as well as the signing fee. This is incredibly misleading as it's not typically included when people discuss weekly wages etc. You could argue that it should be, but then we should talk wages in the way the Americans do with their sports, ie. "X player has been handed a 5 year, $120m deal".

Every single player's reported wage would skyrocket if you included their signing fees, so this is a pseudo-hatchet job on Sanchez to make him seem more greedy than he is.

It's common for the signing fee to be equal to an entire year's worth of wages. I know this because I've dealt with it and have mates that've dealt with it as well, big and small. It is the standard practice, and the fee will naturally grow as wages increase. Similar to a security deposit for an apartment, kind of.
I can't think of any American athletes (or a lot of athletes in general) off the top of my head who talk about wanting to win the "Championship" as the main reason for leaving their current team but then signing with another team for the most money they can get. For those who do talk about wanting to win a "Championship" then going to another team, they almost always take less money.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Who the hell said he would ride the bench at City?.
Loads of people
Also, you just admitted his behavior was mercenary. I quote you directly: "Man City refuse to meet his demands." So did Bayern. If it was really about the trophies and the chance to win things, his demands wouldn't have been so high and he wouldn't have necessarily taken the best financial offer.
That doesn't make a player a mercenary. You aren't privy to discussions about stuff other than money. If he went to a club below us with less ambition but for more money, you could call him a mercenary. But he isn't, and you need to get over it. He doesnt have to sign for the champions elect to avoid being called a mercenary. It's just arbitrary bollocks powered by butthurt.

al-Ustaadh

Loads of people

That doesn't make a player a mercenary. You aren't privy to discussions about stuff other than money. If he went to a club below us with less ambition but for more money, you could call him a mercenary. But he isn't, and you need to get over it. He doesnt have to sign for the champions elect to avoid being called a mercenary. It's just arbitrary bollocks powered by butthurt.

But he went to United instead of City or PSG or Bayern. And he more than likely would've signed for us if we offered him 600,000 Pounds a week.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I can't think of any American athletes (or a lot of athletes in general) off the top of my head who talk about wanting to win the "Championship" as the main reason for leaving their current team but then signing with another team for the most money they can get. For those who do talk about wanting to win a "Championship" then going to another team, they almost always take less money.

That wasn't really my point though. American sports is structured completely differently, so any comparisons in that regard are fairly irrelevant. I was only talking about how transparent they are with wages, and how those numbers get reported in the media.

The contracts are there for all to see. You know exactly how much each player makes (from the clubs. Endorsements are separate), whereas the general agreed upon way to talk about wages in football is based of guesswork and leaks, and it's always been tied to their weekly wage.

When people suddenly start including signing and transfer fees, to the point where they divide them by the number of weeks on their contract and add it to their weekly wage, you mess up the entire conversation. An example would be Walcott, a player who was generally agreed to be earning around £140k a week, but that didn't include his signing fee (something you get with every new contract).

An example: If we assume Walcott's signing fee was around £7m (around a year's worth of wages), and we then break that down into 208 chunks (4 years) and add that to his weekly wage, his weekly wage is suddenly £173.000 a week.

Surely you can see how doing that to some players but not others completely messes up the already agreed upon way we talk wages?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But he went to United instead of City or PSG or Bayern. And he more than likely would've signed for us if we offered him 600,000 Pounds a week.
Maybe he fancied a challenge? Maybe he he wasn't given guarantees about first team football? Maybe he didn't fancy the competition for places? I must confess, though, I didn't hear any of his mates say that or get any quotes from a Chilean rag from some of his dodgy bitter teammates who get paid by their respective clubs in lashes across the back... We know he'll be the main man at Man Utd. I'm sure he loves that idea... Main man at the 2nd biggest club in the world... Quite some pull, that. Why does he have to leave the country to prove he isn't a mercenary? That wouldn't be because it's suits you, or us, by any chance, would it? :lol:

al-Ustaadh

Maybe he fancied a challenge? Maybe he he wasn't given guarantees about first team football? Maybe he didn't fancy the competition for places? I must confess, though, I didn't hear any of his mates say that or get any quotes from a Chilean rag from some of his dodgy bitter teammates who get paid by their respective clubs in lashes across the back... We know he'll be the main man at Man Utd. I'm sure he loves that idea... Main man at the 2nd biggest club in the world... Quite some pull, that. Why does he have to leave the country to prove he isn't a mercenary? That wouldn't be because it's suits you, or us, by any chance, would it? :lol:
You're drunk....

al-Ustaadh

That wasn't really my point though. American sports is structured completely differently, so any comparisons in that regard are fairly irrelevant. I was only talking about how transparent they are with wages, and how those numbers get reported in the media.

The contracts are there for all to see. You know exactly how much each player makes (from the clubs. Endorsements are separate), whereas the general agreed upon way to talk about wages in football is based of guesswork and leaks, and it's always been tied to their weekly wage.

When people suddenly start including signing and transfer fees, to the point where they divide them by the number of weeks on their contract and add it to their weekly wage, you mess up the entire conversation. An example would be Walcott, a player who was generally agreed to be earning around £140k a week, but that didn't include his signing fee (something you get with every new contract).

An example: If we assume Walcott's signing fee was around £7m (around a year's worth of wages), and we then break that down into 208 chunks (4 years) and add that to his weekly wage, his weekly wage is suddenly £173.000 a week.

Surely you can see how doing that to some players but not others completely messes up the already agreed upon way we talk wages?
Regardless of weekly wage or including a signing on fee or not, he's left for a massive pay check as opposed to wanting to win the Champions League like he was originally reported to be complaining about. United is FAR OFF from wanting to win the Champions League, let alone the Premier League.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Regardless of weekly wage or including a signing on fee or not, he's left for a massive pay check as opposed to wanting to win the Champions League like he was originally reported to be complaining about. United is FAR OFF from wanting to win the Champions League, let alone the Premier League.

I could see them win either next year.

But regardless, that wasn't my point. I was only talking about how these figures are being reported. I don't know what's in Sanchez' heart and quite frankly I don't really care. I just have an issue with reporting being dishonest, and it's a widespread problem with football.

Especially in England, where the racism is almost blatant at times. Hatchet jobs fly left and right when it's a foreign player, whereas British players get endless protection from the media. This is the most obvious when it comes to the diving debate etc, but it also spills into which players get labeled greedy and which players are just "doing what's the sensible thing to do!". I'm not saying you're racist btw, just to be clear.

Again, I was just talking about the reporting, which in this case (the thing I quoted) was dishonest and clearly done to make Sanchez look bad.

al-Ustaadh

I could see them win either next year.

But regardless, that wasn't my point. I was only talking about how these figures are being reported. I don't know what's in Sanchez' heart and quite frankly I don't really care. I just have an issue with reporting being dishonest, and it's a widespread problem with football.

Especially in England, where the racism is almost blatant at times. Hatchet jobs fly left and right when it's a foreign player, whereas British players get endless protection from the media. This is the most obvious when it comes to the diving debate etc, but it also spills into which players get labeled greedy and which players are just "doing what's the sensible thing to do!". I'm not saying you're racist btw, just to be clear.

Again, I was just talking about the reporting, which in this case (the thing I quoted) was dishonest and clearly done to make Sanchez look bad.

As things stand, Alexis left for money and not for trophies. If United goes on a spending spree in the summer, then it's possible they win the league or the CL. Still don't see it, though, especially under Mourinho.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
As things stand, Alexis left for money and not for trophies. If United goes on a spending spree in the summer, then it's possible they win the league or the CL. Still don't see it, though, especially under Mourinho.

I think it's virtually guaranteed that they'll do that. They have a ton of players they could get rid of to rake in money as well, and if they bring in top players in a few key areas, they'll also have very good depth in many positions. All anchored by a world class goalkeeper.

All speculation, obviously, but they've generally improved recently I feel like there's a proper good season for them in the making. They have some incredible young pieces who will only get better. They just need players like Sanchez to take them over that last hump.

I think that's why they're buying Sanchez now. His fee is relatively cheap for a player of his quality, which means they can afford to bring in more overall quality players in the summer on top of Sanchez. That's especially true if Özil walks there on a free.

al-Ustaadh

I think it's virtually guaranteed that they'll do that. They have a ton of players they could get rid of to rake in money as well, and if they bring in top players in a few key areas, they'll also have very good depth in many positions. All anchored by a world class goalkeeper.

All speculation, obviously, but they've generally improved recently I feel like there's a proper good season for them in the making. They have some incredible young pieces who will only get better. They just need players like Sanchez to take them over that last hump.

I think that's why they're buying Sanchez now. His fee is relatively cheap for a player of his quality, which means they can afford to bring in more overall quality players in the summer on top of Sanchez. That's especially true if Özil walks there on a free.
We'll see. I can be proven wrong, but I don't see United winning the league or Champions League anytime soon.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Martial, Rashford, and Lingard are going to get shafted by Mourinho this summer, he won't think twice about spending big money to replace them. I'm certain their playing time (in big competitions at least) is going to decrease next season.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
You can almost tell how long posters have been Arsenal supporters with how they are taking this transfer.

I'd wager most incensed with Sanchez going to United, calling him a mercenary and feel that "it's all about the money" are those that came over and started supporting around the time/because Özil signed.

I can't believe those that have been through this with Cesc, RVP, etc in the past, watched Arsène leave the squad short each summer, make the same mistakes over and over on the pitch, could somehow hate our top players for wanting out and signing for a bigger club while getting a large wage bump for doing so.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Martial, Rashford, and Lingard are going to get shafted by Mourinho this summer, he won't think twice about spending big money to replace them. I'm certain their playing time (in big competitions at least) is going to decrease next season.

Likely, but that would also provide them with incredible depth. Mou only needs that one season where everyone is fairly united (no pun intended) to make things happen.

We all know it will probably end it tears in 2-3 years, but Mou's ability to win things can't be denied. If he can bring in genuine top quality this summer and keep the current players reasonably happy with rotation etc, they could win things.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Money isn't always everything. As Keown said, Alexis is a mercenary. If he really wanted to "win the Champions League," then he would've gone to Bayern in the summer.
Very strange he didn't because Bayern really needed him.

They must have really low wage cap in Germany.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You can almost tell how long posters have been Arsenal supporters with how they are taking this transfer.

I'd wager most incensed with Sanchez going to United, calling him a mercenary and feel that "it's all about the money" are those that came over and started supporting around the time/because Özil signed.

I can't believe those that have been through this with Cesc, RVP, etc in the past, watched Arséne leave the squad short each summer, make the same mistakes over and over on the pitch, could somehow hate our top players for wanting out and signing for a bigger club while getting a large wage bump for doing so.

Yeah it's more just bye Felicia for me. One of our best players in a pretty dreadful patch under Wenger.

Van Persie and Cesc were with us for almost a decade and them leaving ended our time as contenders.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

I can't believe those that have been through this with Cesc, RVP, etc in the past, watched Arséne leave the squad short each summer, make the same mistakes over and over on the pitch, could somehow hate our top players for wanting out and signing for a bigger club while getting a large wage bump for doing so.

RvP went to a team who had just lost the league on GD and the year before that won it. Cesc went to the best team in Europe. Also both of them only really had one club in mind when they left and they went there. Sanchez also seemingly had one club in mind but that all changed when Utd entered the race and offered more money. I think people wouldn’t be slagging off Sanchez as much as they are if he had gone to City.

From my point of view I don’t blame him for taking the money on offer and wouldn’t call him a mercenary. He’s going to a team currently better placed to win things than we are and will be earning a ****load while he’s at it. At the same time let’s not pretend money wasn’t the main motivator for him going to Utd and not to City.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

RvP went to a team who had just lost the league on GD and the year before that won it. Cesc went to the best team in Europe. Also both of them only really had one club in mind when they left and they went there. Sanchez also seemingly had one club in mind but that all changed when Utd entered the race and offered more money. I think people wouldn’t be slagging off Sanchez as much as they are if he had gone to City.

From my point of view I don’t blame him for taking the money on offer and wouldn’t call him a mercenary. He’s going to a team currently better placed to win things than we are and will be earning a ****load while he’s at it. At the same time let’s not pretend money wasn’t the main motivator for him going to Utd and not to City.

Absolutely. When he said he knew who he wanted to play with last year, I doubt he was talking about Lukaku and Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom