• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations, what do you expect this season?

• 1) Title

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • 2) Double

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • 3) Cup win

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 4) Cup win+ Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • 5) Top 4/5

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • 6) Deep CL run and cup win+Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient.

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Everyone scoffing at Havertz even though he's the only player in the squad that played CL football ever but now they're expecting deep runs in the CL with the guy that couldn't get past Olympiakos? Feel like this season is gonna disappoint lots of people.

Maybe Declan Rice will make a difference with his European 'trophy' :lol:
Arteta's 5th season buying virtually every player he ever wanted. Progress is mandatory at this point.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I don't think just finishing top 4 can constitute a successful season, I get that there's a lot of competition but you cannot spend all the money we've spent recently and especially on the back of an 84 points season (I still believe we could've got to 90) and be just saying top 4 is fine. We need to push again. We need to be aiming for more goals and we need to be conceding much less, even taking away wins, losses, points total and league position that has to be what we're aiming for and if we do that we'll build on last season.

Tbh I think we will win the title next season. Now at the moment key injuries to a Rice or an Ødegaard might kill us because I do believe if we let both Xhaka and Partey go it could become a weak point defensively, but let's say we do signing another starting quality midfielder like a Lavia I think we could then afford one key injury there. I think complacency will naturally creep in a wee bit for City, I thought it last season but there was the caveat of the treble which reignited their hunger. I just remember 19/20 season and the major drop off from the previous two, i think we could be in for something similar. Regardless I think we'll hit 90 points next season which should be enough in all honesty. Every season we've pushed on and I don't see it being any different especially with the signings we're making and the tactically flexibility we're adding. Call it bold, but I don't see United, Liverpool or Newcastle doing enough to get close to us and I don't think City are on course for a 100 points season or anything like that.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Arteta's 5th season buying virtually every player he ever wanted. Progress is mandatory at this point.
No way we're getting higher than 84 points this season, think I'll bet my Arsenalmania account on it.

Also have you seen us in the Europa league? A deep CL run is not realistic from what I've seen of Tricky Micky in Europe.

Tir Na Nog

Also I expect the likes of Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard, Saliba, etc to be even better next season as they're still improving. We haven't seen their heights yet. Rice will definitely make an impact, Havertz hopefully can excel in his roles. Timbers will give us more options at the back. We'll be able to rotate a bit more. We'll have Trossard for a full season. Then there's more wishful thinking in regards to someone ESR, I can't put it down as a definite but hopefully he'll have a contribution. I also think the pain of last season will carry this team to achieve much more.

It's not a case of where I think not winning the title will be a failure, but I think we will win it.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
No way we're getting higher than 84 points this season, think I'll bet my Arsenalmania account on it.
@albakos this needs to go on the classics widget come the end of the season either which way.

He’ll either look like a genius or an idiot. Hopefully the latter 🙏

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Also have you seen us in the Europa league? A deep CL run is not realistic from what I've seen of Tricky Micky in Europe.
Points totals don't count if you're doing historical comparisons. They're much higher these days for teams at the top.

What counts is position in the league, CL placing and cup finishes.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

First year in the CL or not, I would say that’s not excusable tbf. When you look at the dross that have had a deep CL run in the last 3 years like Inter, AC Milan, Benfica, Chelsea, BVB, Porto, RB Leipzig and Lyon who have all managed to reach the QF’s then that should be the minimum expectation for us.

There will be a lot of eyes on how he does in Europe next season as so far his European record hasn’t been great.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I expect a similar title challenge this coming season. We're the second best side in the league so I'd be a bit unhappy if we finish lower than 2nd.

I'm not overly fussed about the domestic cups this year as being back in the CL after so long is my cup priority this season. I think quarters is a reasonable expectation.

Tir Na Nog

I'm not greatly optimistic when it comes to Europe but we're also improving year on year, so I wouldn't go back and look at the 2020/2021 and use it as a reason to say we'll not do well. Maybe Sporting you can say but we should've won that game and obviously the injuries played its part.

My great worry was the whole Zinchenko tactic thing, it'll not work in Europe, that I can guarantee you but now with the Timber signing, Kiwior has a bit more of a presence and it looks like Tierney might stay after all we'll have other options to use which might make us a bit more robust.

BigPoppaPump

Points totals don't count if you're doing historical comparisons. They're much higher these days for teams at the top.

What counts is position in the league, CL placing and cup finishes.
Not really doing historical comparisons more like comparing it to the previous season. I think points total matters more than position in the league.
First year in the CL or not, I would say that’s not excusable tbf. When you look at the dross that have had a deep CL run in the last 3 years like Inter, AC Milan, Benfica, Chelsea, BVB, Porto, RB Leipzig and Lyon who have all managed to reach the QF’s then that should be the minimum expectation for us.

There will be a lot of eyes on how he does in Europe next season as so far his European record hasn’t been great.
I understand that but have we shown anything in Europe to give you confidence on a deep CL run?

Tir Na Nog

I can't really say what we should be doing in the CL until I see our group, if we get a winnable group then I'm expecting quarters, if we get a tough one where it's likely we'll finish 2nd then I'm not too fussed if we just get to last 16.

BigPoppaPump

I'm not greatly optimistic when it comes to Europe but we're also improving year on year, so I wouldn't go back and look at the 2020/2021 and use it as a reason to say we'll not do well. Maybe Sporting you can say but we should've won that game and obviously the injuries played its part.

My great worry was the whole Zinchenko tactic thing, it'll not work in Europe, that I can guarantee you but now with the Timber signing, Kiwior has a bit more of a presence and it looks like Tierney might stay after all we'll have other options to use which might make us a bit more robust.
Yeah Tierney and Kiwior will be the ones to save the day :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Yeah Tierney and Kiwior will be the ones to save the day :lol:

I mean it's more a case of we'll have actual defenders covering those types of positions similar to what Pep has adapted too rather than Zinchenko who can't defend to save his life.

say yes

forum master baiter
What does 'depending on coefficient mean'?

My expectation us continuing to play like a top club, which should result in the minimum of a top 4/5 finish.

Not sure it's possible to 'expect' a trophy on top of that given City/cup randomness, but I'm obviously hoping for all the possible trophies on top of that.

BigPoppaPump

I mean it's more a case of we'll have actual defenders covering those types of positions similar to what Pep has adapted too rather than Zinchenko who can't defend to save his life.
Arteta don't rate Tierney at all, he's not gonna be playing in important games. Kiwior I'm not sure about but he's on fraud watch so I wouldn't bring him up as a difference maker.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Good thread.

We need to get back to CL qualification year in year out. That will allow us to keep building our squad, and it is simply where our club should be. Anything but top four is really not on.

I think Man City is probably a bit stronger than the rest, but we should aim at being 'best of the rest'.

It's difficult to have any clear expectations in the cups, but we ought to do better than last year. A domestic cup trophy would be nice. CL is hard to predict, I don't think many would have had Inter in the final. I think we can surprise a few in the CL.

Tir Na Nog

Arteta don't rate Tierney at all, he's not gonna be playing in important games. Kiwior I'm not sure about but he's on fraud watch so I wouldn't bring him up as a difference maker.

I think Kiwior's been fine most of what I've seen which is very little. I'm not saying he should be first choice to depend upon but I think he should be a lot better in defensive actions than Zinchenko. But I mean more if he plays it'll be in a back three buildup with Timber on the other side which will lessen his overall responsibility.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I understand that but have we shown anything in Europe to give you confidence on a deep CL run?

Not at all. The only thing that gives me confidence is the state of the teams around Europe and the spending we’ve been doing in recent years.

Not every team has quality on the bench to replace their starters like City or Real Madrid to some extent. Under AW, there were a bunch of teams you’d want to avoid but now I only really see two.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Opinions here should be based on current facts, not what ifs. Also I agree with @BigPoppaPump, points total is way more relevant than league standing when you’re within the top 4.

But anyway, onto the facts -

. We finished 2nd last year, 5 points behind City. You’d expect another title challenge.
. As things stand City have agreed a deal for one player and lost one of their most important players in Gundogan. They are currently weaker.
. Arsenal are stronger going into next season, with the 3 additions plus young players getting better and better.
. We’ve improved the depth and quality of our squad to go deeper in ALL cup competitions.
. Arteta has now spent £600M on 24 players. Thankfully 95% of the players he’s spent £20M+ on have worked out, which is an elite hit rate. But he has his squad and should challenge every year.

So a title challenge, a trophy and a decent CL run is what I am expecting. The squad is there for it and the manager has his ideal team.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom