• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v. Celtic, Emirates Cup, Sun 1st Aug 16:20

otfgoon

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
otfgoon said:
You're missing the point, pre-season is not an indication of anything, particularly one with mostly reserves playing for a second consecutive day.

I think you are mistaken my good man, pre-season shows us a lot in terms of movement of the squad from the end of last season. Surely at pre-season the team performance management would have identified and at least begin to address weaknesses and strengths displayed by the team/squad.

As you saw today, which was our 5th game by the way, we havent given much addressing to our biggest issue of last year, our defensive game. Yes indeed we can attribute the zero change to the changes, but with two weeks to go and the apparent dragging of 4eet both with cheque book and tactics says a lot to me.

How many times do you think we'll play two games in 24 hours with Wilshere and Frimpong protecting the back four, while making 6 subs, 3 at the back?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no cause for concern. There is plenty of cause for concern about the way we defended in big games last season in competitive games, and until we show we're learned from that in competitive games it will remain a concern.

But pre-season freindlies have NEVER been a good indication for anything. The invicibles lost to Peterborough and drew with Barnet and Celtic.

If they are an indication of things to come, there we're sorted as we've probably had the best out of most of our rivals.

flobaba said:
Well, You just keep telling yourself whatever makes you happy.

Stop trying to be clever. You just look like an idiot.

M+D

Established Member
otfgoon said:
How many times do you think we'll play two games in 24 hours with Wilshere and Frimpong protecting the back four, while making 6 subs, 3 at the back?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is no cause for concern. There is plenty of cause for concern about the way we defended in big games last season in competitive games, and until we show we're learned from that in competitive games it will remain a concern.

Exactly.

Amazing how many people are struggling to grasp this.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
Zico said:
In conclusion, do remember that RVP, Cesc, and the Three Stooges were all absent.
I find it strange that I knew exactly who the Three Stooges were without even thinking about who was missing. :lol:

IBL

Established Member
Walcott was typical Walcott - hit and miss. It's easy to forget he set up two goals despite some of his headless moments and overall was a real threat with his pace.

We definitely need a defender. If TV gets injured I dont see either Kos or Djourou marshalling the backline with any authority right now. Djourou in fact has been pretty poor, he's a 4th choice at best.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
otfgoon said:

But pre-season freindlies have NEVER been a good indication for anything. The invicibles lost to Peterborough and drew with Barnet and Celtic.

If they are an indication of things to come, there we're sorted as we've probably had the best out of most of our rivals.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the players during the Emirates Cup were the ones who traveled to Austria right? And they were the same players who started pre-season at the beginning of last month right.

I say forget about past results (the Invincible example you raised) and look at more than just the players and combinations. Look at the defensive tactics, man marking and tracking back during these games and that should give you an idea of whether any attention has been given to our defensive frailties of last year during the last month.

Whereas you have a point in that you cannot read much into pre-season and the amount of changes we have seen, but with two weeks to go one would think that there would be SOME sort of difference on the pitch.

Ive seen none, thus my concerns raised, added to this if we dont see anything in a month of preparation, what do we expect to see improved in a mere two weeks?

All in all Im happy that we were given a scare today and the mental strength of the side was tested at the end, because it gives Wenger another sign that attention is needed. We cant perfect it in two weeks but we can make a proper start, and THAT is the victory I take away today.

flobaba

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-we-will-concede-fewer-goals-this-season-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... is-season-</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember this? I am willing to bet that we will concede another 35-40 goals easily this season.

There's obviously something wrong with our defensive set up/structure. Has been 7for ages. My point is this was the same showing/set up we saw today- regardless of it being a preseason 7friendly or us using tired 18 year olds.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Gibbs needs to quickly grasp the fact that his job first and foremost is to defend. He was playing as if he's a winger, and left huge gaps in behind him.

I'm close to giving up on Walcott. His final ball will never improve. He just doesn't have a picture in his mind when he gets the ball. He just hits and hopes for the best. He could have easily set up two more goals today if only he had looked up.

otfgoon

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but the players during the Emirates Cup were the ones who traveled to Austria right? And they were the same players who started pre-season at the beginning of last month right.

I say forget about past results (the Invincible example you raised) and look at more than just the players and combinations. Look at the defensive tactics, man marking and tracking back during these games and that should give you an idea of whether any attention has been given to our defensive frailties of last year during the last month.

Whereas you have a point in that you cannot read much into pre-season and the amount of changes we have seen, but with two weeks to go one would think that there would be SOME sort of difference on the pitch.

Ive seen none, thus my concerns raised, added to this if we dont see anything in a month of preparation, what do we expect to see improved in a mere two weeks?

I don't imagine too much attention has been given to our defensive problems, Austria and the past month is all about fitness and getting sharp as far as I'm aware.

flobaba

Nah Gurj. Doesn't matter. It's just pre-season. And besides Clichy would never do stuff like that.. or would he?

Just yesterday some were saying Gibbs should be 7first choice LB, and arguing that Eboue should be made 7first choice RB ahead of Sagna!

What people 7fail to realize is that defending is as important an art as attacking in 7football. But who cares? It's Wengerball all the way.

Lord Dula

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
Gibbs needs to quickly grasp the **** that his job **** and **** is to defend. He was playing as if he's a winger, and left huge gaps in behind him.

I'm close to giving up on Walcott. His **** ball will never improve. He just doesn't have a picture in his mind when he gets the ball. He just hits and hopes **** the best. He could have easily set up two more goals today if only he had looked up.

yeah i think it's probably the time to cash in as his stock will only shrink from now on

SA Gunner

GoonerGurjit said:
Gibbs needs to quickly grasp the fact that his job first and foremost is to defend. He was playing as if he's a winger, and left huge gaps in behind him.

I'm close to giving up on Walcott. His final ball will never improve. He just doesn't have a picture in his mind when he gets the ball. He just hits and hopes for the best. He could have easily set up two more goals today if only he had looked up.

I wont comment on the defensive aspect of the game, as it just comes back to the same thing.

Regarding Walcott, when watching him play he gives me the impression that his dynamic decision making is actually based on what happened before in that exact situation instead of reading what is required at that moment, i.e. he will re-try/abandon a move based on what it did last time round.

I still see him as nothing more than an impact sub, to be brought on at 65-70 minutes.

Captain

Established Member
Maybe he could have set up two more goals but the end all is that the two that he did set up killed the game and gave us the result. No player provides every single time.

DK Gooner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RVP and Cesc have not yet returned to training and according to Wenger will not be (meaning possibly but highly unlikely) included 4 the game against Liverpool. Therefore this preseason should iform the basis of who will be involved in the game.

While too much cannot be drawn from pre-season ifriendlies, the provide the best platform for players to stake a claim and see where possible improvements still need to be made.

I had two main concerns ifrom the game. 1st, Chamakh was isolated 4 large parts of the game and the team with all it's creative talent ifailed to bring him into the game meaningfully in any way. The likes of RVP and Cesc would bring more composure to the team, but in their absence, we need the others to step up. It will take time to get partnerships going, but we were ifar too reliant on using Walcott's pace as the main outlet. With Theo being so inconsistent, it would be unwise to place too much reliance on him as our main weapon.

My other main concern is our use of iFBs. I think our defence is much stronger when Sagna is at RB as it affords us the luxury of playing a more attacking LB. Its just a shame that Gael rarely makes the most of his ventures iforward as people then ifocus on Sagna's lack of attacking prowess. When he was withdrawn for Eboue, we ended up with two attacking iFBs, who ended up leaving the CBs isolated and needing to cover ifar too much ground. Eboue's convesion to utility man has blunted whatever defensive instincts he has as he ifails to track runners back. Both he and Gibbs were poor after their introductions to the game.

Overall, it was a good warm-up and has provided exposure of some aspects which will need to be improved significantly before the start of the season.

Zico

Established Member
Poor Walcott. There are many more useless players on the team who will not get the sort of attention he has because he has been unfairly thrust into the spotlight. I suspect he could do better in a team lower down the division where the ball would have to go through him more, making him develop some strengths. Wilshere benefited after :D having to play a central role at Bolton, and Walcott might get similar utility out of being at a smaller team.

Look ma, no stars!

ricky1985

Established Member
Not much to say Dules. We looked pretty solid for most of the game, then our legs went, especially the two kids in centre midfield (Jack & Frimpong), and then in the last 20 minutes all hell broke loose. We changed 3/4ths of our back line right at that crucial time which didn't help one bit, but reading anything into it is a little pointless.

Even when we were in total control Djourou looked a disaster waiting to happen any time the ball went near which. Which was a little worrying. Wenger's got to go out and get us a good 3rd choice option at centre back.

Still think Cesc's role, and the midfield in general, will be crucial to how well our defence operates this season. I'm comfortable that Koscielny and Vermaelen will do the business, but if all hell is breaking loose in front of them it won't be enough.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
At best Djourou should be our fourth choice central defender. With his superb performance today, Almunia's probably ensured that he will start the season in goal.

ultradoc

Established Member
Dules quoting Goonergurjit had stars but SAGunner quoting the same didn't.Weird times for this forum.

Lord Dula

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Not much to say Dules. We looked pretty solid **** most of the game, then our legs went, especially the two kids in centre midfield (Jack & ****), and then in the last 20 minutes all hell broke loose. We changed 3/4ths of our back line right at that crucial time which didn't help one bit, but reading anything into it is a little pointless.

Even when we were in total control Djourou looked a disaster waiting to happen any time the ball went near which. Which was a little worrying. Wenger's got to go out and get us a good 3rd choice option at centre back.

Still think Cesc's role, and the midfield in general, will be crucial to how well our defence operates this season. I'm comfortable that Koscielny and Vermaelen will do the business, but if all hell is breaking loose in **** of them it won't be enough.

tar tricks

erm considering its unlikely that wenger will get a cb and a dm i'm warming to the idea of getting kompany

SA Gunner

ultradoc said:
Dules quoting Goonergurjit had stars but SAGunner quoting the same didn't.Weird times for this forum.

Its because Im accessing AM via K-Meleon mate. Check it out.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium. For me, it’s important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level. After that, whether it’s me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair.

Arsène Wenger after extending his contract on 2004
Top Bottom