• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Chelsea | 10/5/09 | 16:00

lagos

Established Member
Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Invincible

Established Member
alonso14 said:
your new manager...two seasons into the job....gets you to your first european cup final and is sacked? dont be daft
In the league, Sp**s were a dodgy lasagna away from ousting us from a CL place. So that'd balance that out.

The board wouldn't have been happy to see us finish below 2nd for the first time in about 10 years.

famous no 10

Established Member
Just got back from the match, a serious waste of £65+...

As usual , half the crowd were still taking their seats after kick off, so our own singing didn't get going until after we kicked off.
We started well, clekski still looked a bit shell shocked, and then after a couple of missed chances the horror that is Fabianski came into play...the guy is nowhere near good enough to be our 'keeper, he's shocking.

...and Diaby. WTF? Silvestre? No ****ing way. **** all up front either, no one there in the box, crosses to absolutely no one, Theo doing his best to **** all the good work up...we only looked like a threat again once Nik was on...and Ade, why does he insist on passing the ball backwards and breaking down every attacking move?

Chavski were doing their usual diving around and cheating, but no way was the ref going to give anything other than decisions in their favour today, because, allegedly, roman had left a bucket full of cash in the refs dressing room.

UGH! This side is nowhere near good enough, looked like little boys out there today.Crap.

AshburtonGhost

While the game was meaningless on paper, the team shouldn't have let themselves be belted like that at home in front of their own fans. Chelsea had nothing to play for either, but that didn't stop them wanting to respond to their defeat midweek.

That result clearly indicated to me that there is little to no pride in the shirt across the squad as a collective. Drastic changes are needed in this team, it is much closer to a wholesale rot than I thought. If Wenger is serious, he should tell them before Man U next week that they are all on notice for review and that continued insipid efforts will see them listed for transfer come season end.

Cruisio

Established Member
In term of games he's play at centreback, how many times has Silvestre been involved in a defence thats conceded 3 or more goals? I'd genuinely like to know what the percentage of games played against that is

PS - Since he's joined us

patrick42uk

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:
You have to look at the defence today, who were shocking.

Going forward, I think we did ok, created a lot of chances, and really should have scored more than once. But what's the point of playing like that in attack, if you concede so many stupid goals?

Diabolical at the back, and Wenger needs to sort it

I think it's a power issue, pure and simple. We don't have the technical ability to dominate a game, but we don't have the defensive robustness/power to repel teams when they attack us. So we are neither Barcelona, nor are we Chelsea. We simply attack erraticaly and then get countered and everytime we do we look like conceding. Chelsea just walked straight through us time and again, so did Man United, so did Liverpool, and so have many teams.

Perhaps we could get away with having weaklings in the team if we were incredibly disciplined and well organised, but we are not, and so we can't.

Andy Gray made the point that we'v adopted this tactic of the small technical player in midfield like Barcelona but a big difference between the sides is that Barca work much harder off the ball than we do.

ibby

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:

Going forward, I think we did ok, created a lot of chances, and really should have scored more than once. But what's the point of playing like that in attack, if you concede so many stupid goals?

I think it's a power issue, pure and simple. We don't have the technical ability to dominate a game, but we don't have the defensive robustness/power to repel teams when they attack us. So we are neither Barcelona, nor are we Chelsea. We simply attack erraticaly and then get countered and everytime we do we look like conceding. Chelsea just walked straight through us time and again, so did Man United, so did Liverpool, and so have many teams.

Perhaps we could get away with having weaklings in the team if we were incredibly disciplined and well organised, but we are not, and so we can't.

Andy Gray made the point that we'v adopted this tactic of the small technical player in midfield like Barcelona but a big difference between the sides is that Barca work much harder off the ball than we do.
And have much better players.

LucasNL

Just came in and haven't seen the game, judging by this thread I should skip MOTD tonight. Really dissapointing to be hammered like that twice in a couple of days, and it infuriates me to see Wenger's still persisting with Diaby and Silvestre when clearly they've both been poor this season.

ricky1985

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
ricky1985 said:
asajoseph said:

I don't think we have the athletic ability to press at a high tempo for 90 minutes. Like I said in another thread we managed to play at a really high tempo for the first 25 minutes today and we were fantastic, absolutely dominated them. Then we dropped off, and they took control of the game. I definitely think some of the problem is psychological (as in adversity our heads drop and we sit off), but athletically I don't feel we're up to it either.

Invincible

Established Member
Cruisio said:
In term of games he's play at centreback, how many times has Silvestre been involved in a defence thats conceded 3 or more goals? I'd genuinely like to know what the percentage of games played against that is

Sp**s home - 4
Pool away - 4
Chelsea home - 4

3 times.

IBL

Established Member
famous no 10 said:
UGH! This side is nowhere near good enough, looked like little boys out there today.Crap.
probably because they are :lol: :cry:

Feel for you mate, £65 is a lot of dough in this day and age

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Invincible said:
Cruisio said:

Sp**s home - 4
Pool away - 4
Chelsea home - 4

3 times.
And that 3-0 defeat to Man City away.

Invincible

Established Member
2 against Burnley, Chelsea, Fener, Villa, Porto and United as well, FWIT. The player he replaced, Senderos, kept over 8 clean sheets last season in contrast.

Why oh why did we let Senderos go only to replace him with this clown.

General

Established Member
We just don't work hard enough without the ball and haven't a clue about staying compact. This is why we often look vulnerable straight after mounting an attack. Our entire culture to defending as a team is a complete joke. Add to this another ridiculous team setup (Robin as a lone striker when there's effectively nothing to play for yet he was willing to play him uptop with Ade at Chelsea :roll:) and we were always there for the taking. We may well have taken the lead today but Chelsea looked like scoring everytime they attacked. Really, this game told us nothing we didn't already know. If Wenger was a little bit consistent in the way he deployed the team this season, we probably would've saved some face but not slid disastrously towards the end.

Invincible

Established Member
I checked the stats again to find out that Senderos had actually kept 15 clean sheets last season, compared to Tweety's 5.

So loaning Senderos out and getting Silvestre in was yet another horrible error of judgement by Wenger.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Well I'm not gonna argue that Silvestre is better than Senderos but that's a pretty stupid way to look at it as it assumes that they played against the same teams with the same players on the field when they were in the same form.

Tweety is pretty pointless when he's not having a calm and confident keeper behind him though. And Fabianski is anything but.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Were the players around them the same?

Football doesn't work like that Invincible. It's a team sport.

edit: klaus beat me to it lol

asajoseph

Established Member
Silvestre out-paced Anelka a couple of times today.

Now that was funny.

As for Phil, he's a better player than Silvestre, pretty comfortably, but I think the chances are he's at a stage in his career where he wants to play regularly, and I don't think he ever earned the right to do so at Arsenal.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom