• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Fulham : 28/02/09 : 15:00

atmosphere

Galahad said:
On the other hand the players as a whole arent too satisfieing. All of them are too inconsistent (as mentoned above) and we dont have a single world class player. Dont tell me Fabregas is one, Fabregas is as guilty as anyone else (and so is Robin) about inconsistency and great players are fairly conistent. We cant judge Eduardo and Arshavin yet, one has been out for too long, the other has only been with us for so long.
The point Im trying to make is we dont have anyone who excels, who stands out who carries us forward and who can carry players that arent playing well at the moment. If ManU plays s**t they still have Ronaldo who can open up any defense with his magic. This doesnt work all the time ofcourse, but at least they have an option to try it. We dont even have that option. Chelsea have Lampard with his long range shots, so do Liverpool with their Steven Gerrard. Whom do we have?

I think you're confusing class and consistency. Sure Cesc has been inconsistent this season but that doesn't mean he isn't world class. That doesn't mean that he isn't capable of turning games with a defence splitting pass or a long range effort. If you think otherwise then perhaps you've only seen Cesc play this season when granted he's not been up to scratch but then also he has been injured and recovering from playing pretty much every game last season and then a long run in the Euros, so give him a break.

Fabregas has driven us forward and made a massive impact in a hell of a lot of big games and also some not so big ones where we just needed a lift. I would take him every single day of the week over all of the players you've mentioned there.

If you think Ronaldo, Lampard or Gerrard are better then I suggest you go support a different team.

stiiphunn

Established Member
General said:
stiiphunn said:
I watched the Inter-Roma game tonight, and frankly I thought to myself "wow when was the last time i saw some quick one touch passing?". Roma played some lovely stuff tonight, and I can't even remember the last time we did this. As Double-you said you don't see any one-two, any creative pass that opens up a defence. Arshavin's pass to Nasri on saturday is exactly what we've been lacking. The rest of our players always choose the safe option because they're short on confidence - and for some it's because they're just not good enough.

These cross-league comparisons hold very little significance. I saw the Inter-Roma game and you’d be lucky to come across that amount of space and slow pace in the PL. It was ridiculous and United could’ve easily cricket scored them last week in the CL. The defending from both sides was also comical to say the least and even West Brom would’ve looked good against Inter. You saw how good we looked against Roma when they gave us all the time and space in the world. The physical, high tempo nature and technical improvements in the PL are the main reasons behind the recent resurgence of English teams in Europe and the continental teams are struggling to cope.
It was just meant to illustrate the fact that we haven't played some sexy football for a long time. No one in our squad has the courage to try something audacious. It's all about choosing the safe option. Yes, in Italy they have more time on the ball, and more space, but Roma actually tried some cheeky moves which we don't do anymore. I'm not saying I want to see the exact same thing here at Arsenal, I'm just saying I'd like to see some audacity.

As I said I was actually surprised when Arshavin tried that little pass to Nasri. I wasn't used to it anymore.

But Galahad is right as well. The fans don't help, even though they have every right to be frustrated as hell. Against Fulham any misplaced pass, any backwards pass resulted in a general moan from the crowd.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
“Then we put Nicklas Bendtner on, and Emmanuel Eboue who is a forward-thinking full back, and we still don’t score.

Funny he says that about Eboue. He simply knows Eboue is a rightback but likes to play him at right mid?

General

Established Member
I never understood the Eboue substitution. He was effectively brought on to play wing back at a time when we were losing momentum in midfield. His energy would’ve been more useful further afield and I personally would’ve hauled Nasri off. Poor substitution in my opinion.

@stiiphunn – You will no doubt see us play some lovely stuff if we were afforded all the time and space in the world. We did look like world beaters against Roma after all with some audacious stuff to boot. Fact of the matter is no one if playing nice football in the PL at the moment. No one has done for a while but the intensity is just as fierce as ever unlike the continent.

McIntyre

Established Member
General said:
I never understood the Eboue substitution. He was effectively brought on to play wing back at a time when we were losing momentum in midfield. His energy would’ve been more useful further afield and I personally would’ve hauled Nasri off. Poor substitution in my opinion.

I think Eboue coming on was just to give Sagna a breather. He looked really knackered, and pretty demoralised as well since every attack and every cross he made came to nothing. Although he was still committed in defence and was still getting forward okay, it just looked like he was mentally and physically shattered. I agree Nasri looked pretty out of it too but Sagna really did look like he needed a break. So I don't think it was tactical substitution.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
McIntyre said:
General said:

I think Eboue coming on was just to give Sagna a breather. He looked really knackered, and pretty demoralised as well since every attack and every cross he made came to nothing. Although he was still committed in defence and was still getting forward okay, it just looked like he was mentally and physically shattered. I agree Nasri looked pretty out of it too but Sagna really did look like he needed a break. So I don't think it was tactical substitution.

In games were we are pressing forward (needing a win) Eboue offers more than Sagna. I love Sagna but he does not offer much going forward..really doesnt. So it was the right decision to take him out. Next we would be taking out Clichy for Vela at LB. Well Clichy does offer more than sagna cos he at least makes runs and cuts...I dont know why Sagna doesnt cut in..it would add so much to his game. Thats all Eboue does acually, he cuts in everytime u close the flanks.

Biggus

Established Member
Yeah he cuts in and then loses the ball or dives, MBaki listen to yourself- you're actually defending putting on Eboue as some sort of positive attacking move! The last throw of the dice, Don't you question why has it come to this? Don't you see that this is all wrong and the team is going backwards?

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
Depends on what your point of reference is.

Personally I think the reason it has come to throwing Eboue on as a last throw of the dice is because we're missing Adebayor, Eduardo, Rosicky, Walcott and Fabregas. Thins the squad out somewhat.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom