• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Hangzhou Greentown - 16/07/2011 - 12.30 - AP

Invincible

Established Member
Glad someone else could see it too. His style reminds me very much of Mascherano. Feck buying a DM, just play him there and drop that gimp Song. Then buy a powerful CB, bin Squillaci and promote Bartley. Done.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Mascherano in terms of tacklings, anticipation and composure, yes.
I do have my doubts about his physique though. Mascherano is miles ahead of Kos in that regard.

Don't want a soft centre again in our side, which would happen if Kos took over from Song I'm afraid.

jay-d

Established Member
The fact that people are considering Kos for a DM role, shows IMO he's not at all what we need for a CB. He's got many good things in his game but is to short and weak to do a job in the EPL and I can't believe Wenger spent as much when these attributes are so evident.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
It shows he can be a versatile option for us, nothing more.
Alongside Verms, I'm sure they can form a great partnership, if Kos improves further.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Big Poppa said:
Does Traore really stand to be judged equally here? I get the feeling that irrespective of what Gibbs does he will be most people's preferred choice. Gibbs was actually excellent against Greentown, but I thought Traore was ok and was also excellent against Malaysia. I'd like to see how both of them cope when they come up against a more testing winger though.

Yeah, I agree. I think both are awful defensively. Gibbs is the more talented player but in terms of what he's shown in a red shirt, I don't think the gap is big at all. Traore is physically on another level but again, he just seems so dumb at times. I've got this feeling watching him live especially, he's too nonchalant in his defensive work.

As for Koscielny, he's clearly a good footballer but that doesn't necessarily mean a good PL central defender. You could see signs of his usual error-ridden self yesterday too, he got away with a few things there.

As for Djourou, he's turned into a joke, completely fooled me with his patch of form last season. He is an embarassing defender at his current level and can certainly not be a reason for us not buying a CB, you just cannot have such a long period of bad form at a top club. He may reach that high level again but we can't gamble on that.

ricky1985

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Does Traore really stand to be judged equally here? I get the feeling that irrespective of what Gibbs does he will be most people's preferred choice. Gibbs was actually excellent against Greentown, but I thought Traore was ok and was also excellent against Malaysia. I'd like to see how both of them cope when they come up against a more testing winger though.
What does that mean though?

Jenkinson was better than Sagna over the two games, and by a distance in the first game, but we know Sagna is the better player right now. It's the same deal for me personally with Gibbs-Traore, I've seen both play dozens of times, I know their strengths, I know their weaknesses, and in my opinion Gibbs is light years ahead of him. Pretty sure Wenger has the same opinion, I don't think it's a contest between the two for the spot in the team.

scytheavatar

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Big Poppa said:
What does that mean though?

Jenkinson was better than Sagna over the two games, and by a distance in the first game, but we know Sagna is the better player right now. It's the same deal for me personally with Gibbs-Traore, I've seen both play dozens of times, I know their strengths, I know their weaknesses, and in my opinion Gibbs is light years ahead of him. Pretty sure Wenger has the same opinion, I don't think it's a contest between the two for the spot in the team.

Light years ahead is an exaggeration...... so far both of them had their share of good games as well as games where they looked like a big liablity. In any case we all know that Gibbs wouldn't be able to stay fit next season, and Traore will get his chances to prove how good/bad he is even if we don't want him.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal
Top Bottom