• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Hangzhou Greentown - 16/07/2011 - 12.30 - AP

fabo

6.51 / 10
Not seen too much to get excited about Vela really, scoring 2 in 2 is never a bad thing but we always knew he was a tidy finisher when in the right position.

I'd still question his attitude, general play and whether he can actually excel at any role in this 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

But looking at the Chamakh situation, I wouldn't cry if Vela stayed.

Floating

Established Member
Vela and Chamakh are both decent strikers, but look completely toothless far too often. They need to impose themselves on the game and take their chances.

Le Titi

I just hope that Wenger isn't planning on using Vela on the wing next season. Yes he's better suited to the position than Bendtner, but the guy is a striker and hopefully he'll get a chance to play there.

Could he be the 'poacher' everyone seems to think we need? Who knows. IMO he can be a very efficient player one on one with the 'keeper, but we need to be seeing the consistency from the lad. I think that could come with more playing time.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBeoK29FZ0&feature=feedu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBeoK29 ... ture=feedu</a>
Kos against Hangzhou
Brilliant player but lacks dominance in the air

As for the LB position both Traore/Gibbs are great going forward but both have problems defending. Gibbs is a good defender on the ground, Traore is a good defender in the air

AFCG7

Established Member
Koscielny just doesnt cut it for me in the league. Sorry but he's going to be made a mess of against quicker more powerful strikers this season.
He shouldnt start games for us, neither should Djorou..we must buy another CB

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
alboots101 said:
I`m looking forward to seeing Chammy now that he`s got a season under his belt

Just around Christmas, he will say he's feeling tired.

ricky1985

Established Member
I personally think Koscielny's twice the defender Djourou is, but the facts are he lacks Djourou's size and strength, and that evens things up a little. No question, though, as a ball winning, ball playing centreback, Koscielny is absolutely top notch. I think he needs to improve some of his defending in the box, he's too rash and impatient at times, and he needs to make better decisions when dealing with runners from midfield - he switches off too often and lets strikers get on the wrong side of him.

Vela

Established Member
Koscielny had a good game, we know he is not the most physical defender which can be a weakness at times for him. He will be a lot better this season to last season. As he got experience of the Premiership now and was not meant to play as much as he did last season anyway. I still would not mind another centre back.

Floating

Established Member
I agree with both Ricky1985 and Vela — Koscielny is one of the best in the world at what he does (reading the game, anticipating and cutting out passes), but it doesn't suit every opponent's game.

mo50

Established Member
I will be shocked if Koscielny is an integral part in a trophy winning campaign. Hopefully Vermaelen is good enough to cover for him when he inevitably messes up.

You simply can't be as small and weak as Koscielny is in the PL, regardless of how good you are on the ball. For that reason he'll never be top class.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
mo50 said:
I will be shocked if Koscielny is an integral part in a trophy winning campaign. Hopefully Vermaelen is good enough to cover for him when he inevitably messes up.

You simply can't be as small and weak as Koscielny is in the PL, regardless of how good you are on the ball. For that reason he'll never be top class.
Most PL managers only buy CB who are tall and strong they dont even care how good a player in on the ground with KOs we bought a player who is great on the ground but lacks dominance in the air
I am sure by the end of this season he will be perfectly ready to challenge Vermaelen and any CB we bring in for the no.1 spot and will probably get it as well
He knows he has to physically improve he said it himself but that takes times until then he can provide some stiff competiton to Vermelen and hopefully Cahill

Floating

Established Member
mo50 said:

He's bigger and stronger than Jagielka, a player lots of Gooners rate, and want at Arsenal.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
Not impress with our strikers. Their shots were to direct plus opponents goalkeeper played a good game yesterday.

The Greentown's counter attack also gave quite a lot of test for our back line. Still can coup with that....

patrick42uk

Established Member
Koscielny isnt the problem. Squillaci is. Kos looks stronger and quicker to me, and somehow better on the ball as well. His passing looks sharper.

If Arsène has Squillaci as one of his 4 defensive options, he needs his head examined.

ricky1985

Established Member
Couldn't agree more, Patrick. Koscielny has his flaws, as does every player out there, but if we can go into next season with him as one of four options including Vermaelen, Djourou and a new quality centreback, then we're doing fine, more than fine actually. Might even get a nice surprise with Bartley too, he's one we're yet to see this pre-season, but he could offer us something extra this season.

mo50

Established Member
jmsmtthw28 said:
mo50 said:

Most PL managers only buy CB who are tall and strong they dont even care how good a player in on the ground with KOs we bought a player who is great on the ground but lacks dominance in the air
I am sure by the end of this season he will be perfectly ready to challenge Vermaelen and any CB we bring in for the no.1 spot and will probably get it as well
He knows he has to physically improve he said it himself but that takes times until then he can provide some stiff competiton to Vermelen and hopefully Cahill

For a club that struggles with set pieces, do you think that was a smart idea, bringing in a relatively small CB?

My point is, your typical English CF is big, tall and lives off of high balls. How many teams are you going to face where Koscielny's reading of the game is going to be key? A handful at best.

We need a new defender who is strong, relatively tall and mobile if we are to win the league. To improve defensively this signing must be made. A club chasing top honours doesn't have a CB lacking physically as Koscielny.

Squillaci is dead to me, there's no point discussing him. We know he isn't starting material.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Does Traore really stand to be judged equally here? I get the feeling that irrespective of what Gibbs does he will be most people's preferred choice. Gibbs was actually excellent against Greentown, but I thought Traore was ok and was also excellent against Malaysia. I'd like to see how both of them cope when they come up against a more testing winger though.

Invincible

Established Member
jmsmtthw28 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBeoK29FZ0&feature=feedu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kos against Hangzhou
I'm telling you now (based on that vid) Koscielny would make a top top DM.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Invincible said:
jmsmtthw28 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBeoK29FZ0&feature=feedu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kos against Hangzhou
I'm telling you now (based on that vid) Koscielny would make a top top DM.

That's very true.
Has all the things you'd want from a DM, but his build and body-strength could let him down there. At the back, he does at least have a partner alongside him, who offers that.

Arsenal Quotes

I tried to watch the Sp*rs match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom