• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Sp**s post-mortem/player ratings

eye4goal

Established Member
Anzac said:
If tactics played no part then why did we fail to score in the 2nd half when it seemed almost inevitable prior to half time - surely the players didn't completely switch off at half time & the other contributing factor is the changes made by Sp**s. Tactics don't have to be brilliant, just effective (see Allardyce & Stoke re 'getting up them', and Direct balls into the area with the area & GK crowded), sometimes a change is all that is required.

In open play we are known for the lack pace in the CBs & CMs whilst playing a high line & Clichy leaves a LOT of space that can be exploited. At set pieces we are notorious at defending them as we lack height & cohesion, and a number of players are known for making errors under pressure.

Sp**s couldn't gain the ball playing 1 up front in the 1st half & couldn't play through our midfield. They brought on a pacey 2nd striker & went to get the ball forward early to expose the space, our lack of pace & high line to create opportunities either in open play or from set pieces.

Simple not brilliant & not that hard to counter in a number of ways if done early enough. Once they drew level the task was sooooooooooo much harder & needed more than just a tactical shift.

At 2-0 you shouldnt really be caught on the counter like we did on their first! It was a free kick for us and both Koscielny and Squillaci went up and so did Song. Wenger has to take the blame for that.

The international break did play a part too. Nasri and Arshavin were at a different level to Walcott and Rosicky. Sp**s looked fresher in the last 20.

flobaba

Luck?

We were not unlucky to concede Bale's first goal, our defense was caught napping. Route one stuff- long ball down the center, helped on, goal.

Second goal, we weren't unlucky, Fabregas was stupid, and they were awarded a rightful penalty.

Third goal, was conceded from a poorly defended set piece.

We didn't take our chances, not because we were unlucky, but because our strikers (Chamakh)/defender (Kos) are not sharp and clinical enough.

In summary, we lost because we dropped our levels of concentration and commitment, stupid mistakes, poor general and set piece defending, and strikers not being able to take chances created.

Sounds like a very familiar story to me.

flobaba

AnthonyG said:
Indeed. We're only lucky when we win, it would seem.
This loss had nothing to do with luck Anthony. Some losses/dropped points might be attributed to bad luck (e.g Sunderland away earlier in the season), but not this one.

Humble Rex

Established Member
As demonstrated in the Liverpoo game last year, not every ref gives a peno for a handball from the wall. I´d say that in itself constitutes a certain amount of luck that the peno was given, even though it was the correct call. The fact that Spuds even got the freekick is indisputably down to bad luck since there certainly was no foul.

Humble Rex

Established Member
We were absolutely sh!t in the 2nd half, but Spuds were still extremely lucky to win the game based on what the two teams created in said 2nd half. Proper Mulder & Scully IMO.

Biggus

Established Member
With apologies to Oscar, to lose once to sh!t may be regarded as misfortune.
But to lose three times may be regarded as carelessness.

Burnwinter

Established Member
We were 2-0 up at half time after an honours somewhat even first half in this fixture last year.

Difference was we got the third goal, but I swear things were pretty much the same otherwise. This team can lose from anywhere.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Biggus said:
With apologies to Oscar, to lose once to sh!t may be regarded as misfortune.
But to lose three times may be regarded as carelessness.

or as bad habits....

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Humble Rex said:
We were absolutely sh!t in the 2nd half, but Spuds were still extremely lucky to win the game based on what the two teams created in said 2nd half. Proper Mulder & Scully IMO.

I have not watched teh game again so will have to respond based on my initila reactions-I did not think we were **** in teh 2nd 1/2 apart from a brief period after they scored teh 2nd goal. However, if making crucial mistakes is considered being ****, then yes, we were ****.

After the game I was scratching my ba.., I mean head, wondering just how the **** did we lose this game. I mean apart from the goals, a Modric shot and a Flappy flapper, when else did they truly threaten (they did have many corners but I cannot really remember us being under too much pressure from them).

But to lose from the position we were in must mean that we were ****, I gues-luck had nothing to do with it IMO.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Can't recall Springsteen spelling it with an apostrophe :wink: If i'd added one that would have been so very wrong!

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom