• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Ospina would be a good buy for them and I would prefer to see Macey as backup!

On the goals. I didn't envisage ours drying up, but confidence is a fragile thing along with injuries being unpredictable.

Ospina? He's got the same exact faults if not worse than Mignolet. He can't command his area and is poor with balls into the box - or was this a joke & I just didn't get it.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arsenal are NOT a sleeping giant. We’re a club that has performed on par or above par for most of our history.

Liverpool are a sleeping giant.

redanddread

Arsenal are NOT a sleeping giant. We’re a club that has performed on par or above par for most of our history.

How can the 2nd most valuable football club in world football that hasn't won a major trophy in 14 years NOT be a sleeping giant - that defies all logic. Arsenal are the biggest football club in one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world and have a fan base to rival most anywhere.

We have more cash, less debt and a better overall infrastructure than most SUPER clubs. One of the best stadiums in world football, top end training facilities..........almost everything is in place to move to the next level and yet we're heading in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
How can the 2nd most valuable football club in world football that hasn't won a major trophy in 14 years NOT be a sleeping giant - that defies all logic. Arsenal are the biggest football club in one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world and have a fan base to rival most anywhere.

We have more cash, less debt and a better overall infrastructure than most SUPER clubs. One of the best stadiums in world football, top end training facilities..........almost everything is in place to move to the next level and yet we're heading in the opposite direction.
Cash doesn’t mean anything if the willingness isn’t there to spend it.

Sleeping giant normally means a club with a very rich history who have fallen off recently. We’re at neither really.

redanddread

Sleeping giant normally means a club with a very rich history who have fallen off recently. We’re at neither really.
Bro, we're the 3rd most successful club in English football history - how much more history do you want?

In a over a 100 years of football history we're only 5 league titles behind Liverpool, albeit also 5 European Cups behind also.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Nobody is expecting us to win the league, just not to be out of every competition nearly by Christmas.

I get what you're saying and I'm on the same page as you in that we're underperforming and should be doing better. But we're not out of every competition: we have 2 cups to play for. Besides, in terms of the competition you're on about i.e the PL, every team bar one is out of it by Christmas.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

Liverpool are a sleeping giant, yes, but that doesn't mean we aren't also. "Rich history but fallen off" applies to us as well as Liverpool.

There are lots of giants in English football. Newcastle are a giant that never woke up in the first place. Leeds, Villa and Forest are giants that have gone into comas.

redanddread

Won **** all in Europe, big gaps between domestic success.

Most of this forum wouldn’t even be fans if it were not for Wenger.
Because we've won **** all in Europe we don't have a huge & rich footballing history? You can't be serious here. Nottingham Forest won two European Cups and they don't have anywhere near as rich a football history as Arsenal FC.

What? Maybe some of the younger fans but that happens with any football club. People are attracted to a club by their success.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Arsenal were one of the biggest and most successful clubs in England historically before Wenger took charge. Not the biggest, but the 3rd biggest. That's still a giant of English football.

But Wenger took us to another level in so much as he broadened the club's appeal outside England. Now part of that is concurrence with the growth of the PL and people watching on television across the world. But Wenger's early success established Arsenal as an ever-present in the European elite and cemented Arsenal's 'soft power' across the globe.

That soft power is something which we continue to enjoy today, it's something City don't have and are desperate to have. By the standards and reach of that soft power we are underperforming and can therefore be called a sleeping giant.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Bro, we're the 3rd most successful club in English football history - how much more history do you want?

In a over a 100 years of football history we're only 5 league titles behind Liverpool, albeit also 5 European Cups behind also.
You'll have to excuse him. He doesn't understand that the club existed pre Wenger.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
The problem that I personally have with squad cost.. Where do you draw the line? Why do those titles since 2004 go to the top three and are not divided between the top four? Or five? Those teams spend a lot as well, albeit less.

Also, it's not like every team started at 0 and City bought for 1.4 billion and we are now at 444 million. Or I read some number like that. We had a title winning team in '04. So the platform was there. We bought players to add to that team and replace them later on, but we never really challenged for the league again.

Though I feel Wenger has (over)performed in the majority of his career, he has failed the last 4 years. Even with those FA Cups. Yes it's a big trophy, but people want to challenge for the EPL and the CL. And Wenger has promised the fans that they would.

We could judge him when he didn't win the title by 2011. It's now 2018, we have not won a title and we are losing our key players to our rivals. But yes, he does have that 57% win rate 0ver 20 years, doesn't he?

TheArsenalis

squad cost is a valid point. but quality and cost is not the same, proven quality and hidden gems are the same but cost are different.

we could find these gems but its a gamble to look in every nook and cranny to find them, side effect is they would cost less. if we gonna buy renowned quality stars, they have price on their heads because the world is watching. and the hype is already about them.

i dont think we absolutely need to spend like city, chelsea and united. but we should, its easier. the players you would get is already proven.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Bollocks.

Bollocks how. Takes home 8m. Tiny bit of stick from the fans. No pressure from the board. It’s a cushy little number, spun out for years.

Don’t tell me you believe all this crap about him being under attack from all sides and his name being dragged through the mud. He can do this standing on his head and he will walk away with his legacy intact. Doubt he gives a sh*t about any short-term abuse. Seems people on this thread are taking it to heart though.

It’s an extremely high profile job a bit of flak is expected.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Based on what?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sleeping giant

Definition of sleeping giant
: one that has great but unrealized or newly emerging power

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sleeping-giant

If you refer to someone or something as a sleeping giant, you meanthat they are powerful but they have not yet shown the full extent of their powe
r.

If there is a club that fits that description its Arsenal FC. I know, I know.. it doesnt fit into some narratives here, that this is a sinking ship. Im sorry about that.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Arsène's biggest problem is that he doesn't like to play defensive football-the philosophy is always 'we play'. You see we can do it like the game against City a year or 2 ago or those times we beat Barca and Bayern. However, he doesn't like it and would prefer we always play football, which is easy to do when you have the best squad in the league like Pep but not when you're fielding guys like Xhaka and Ramsey in midfield. This is what leads us to collapsing and letting in silly goals because the team rarely focuses on defending and more on keeping possession.

We need to play to our level, not the level of the best teams. I feel like Arsène would do a much better job at United while Mourinho would be better at a club like Arsenal. It's why Sp**s are doing so well without spending lots, they play brutish football which is all based around supplementing their best player (Kane).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom