• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Arséne's biggest problem is that he doesn't like to play defensive football-the philosophy is always 'we play'. You see we can do it like the game against City a year or 2 ago or those times we beat Barca and Bayern. However, he doesn't like it and would prefer we always play football, which is easy to do when you have the best squad in the league like Pep but not when you're fielding guys like Xhaka and Ramsey in midfield. This is what leads us to collapsing and letting in silly goals because the team rarely focuses on defending and more on keeping possession.

We need to play to our level, not the level of the best teams. I feel like Arséne would do a much better job at United while Mourinho would be better at a club like Arsenal. It's why Sp**s are doing so well without spending lots, they play brutish football which is all based around supplementing their best player (Kane).

This is my problem with Wegener's general attitude to defensive discipline in a nutshell and is a prime example of something he could tweak immediately to make a significant difference to our results with zero financial input.

Can I also add to your examples we also got the CL final playing this way and the next season he threw it all out of the window.

We don't have the quality of players to play all out swashbuckling attacking football, so why, in the same of god just slightly modify your style of play? Isn't that the very essence of good management, adapting to changing circumstances around you????

Not 10 men behind the ball, not 80's Wimbledon, not Italian ultra-defending. just a slight tune up to take into account our current circumstances.

Last edited:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Arséne's biggest problem is that he doesn't like to play defensive football-the philosophy is always 'we play'. You see we can do it like the game against City a year or 2 ago or those times we beat Barca and Bayern. However, he doesn't like it and would prefer we always play football, which is easy to do when you have the best squad in the league like Pep but not when you're fielding guys like Xhaka and Ramsey in midfield. This is what leads us to collapsing and letting in silly goals because the team rarely focuses on defending and more on keeping possession.

We need to play to our level, not the level of the best teams. I feel like Arséne would do a much better job at United while Mourinho would be better at a club like Arsenal. It's why Sp**s are doing so well without spending lots, they play brutish football which is all based around supplementing their best player (Kane).
I care to think that Arsène doesn't play SMART football. One can be tactically aware of your opponents strengths and weaknesses and adopt a game plan to counter this, thus enabling a lesser team to have a better chance against a superior team.

Arsène appears to be arrogant is his footballing philosophy and believes that his team can & will play his style of football regardless of the strength or weakness of his opponents. It's one reason why an extremely tactical manager, albeit complete arsehole, in the mould of say Mourinho has eaten him for lunch down the years. As you allude to, maybe if Arsène had a better quality of player to draw on, his footballing philosophy might have succeeded in a few more of these duels with the big guns of Europe & domestically.

Thus, I'll concede to the "flat-earthers", aka squad costs goons, that had he spent more money, he MIGHT (he could still have spent badly) have been able to develop a better squad able to embrace his philosophy and execute well enough to perform better in these games against the big boys. As it is, he hasn't and continues to play the same way with clearly inferior players and the results are there for all to be seen. 15-3 against Bayern Munich is a prime example of this.

In my opinion, the best football that Arsenal have played POST Highbury was when Cesc was in his pomp, however, once the 2007/08 team fell apart he was really never able to put together a team good enough to execute his footballing philosophy and compete at the highest level. If that 2007/08 had achieved what many thought it should of, who knows where we would be today. I still remember that Cesc inspired 2-0 win over Milan in the reigning European champs backyard - it was probably the best European performance by any Arsène Wenger team imo. Alas, we are where we are today with only fading memories of what could have been.

Last edited:

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I wonder what Wenger will have to say, surely surely he can see now that he is finished here. How can Kroenke watch this result and look at the table (because he wouldn't watch the game) and think he doesn't need to do anything? **** this club is rotten.

AmberHawk

I wonder what Wenger will have to say, surely surely he can see now that he is finished here. How can Kroenke watch this result and look at the table (because he wouldn't watch the game) and think he doesn't need to do anything? **** this club is rotten.
Kroenke was happy with the rams who was beyond **** in the nfl for a few years. Without doing a single thing about it.
He doesnt care about the result, he cares about the bussines side of it.

ClubLevel

We have been here before. Nothing will change today, tomorrow or in five years. May as well just pack it in or support somebody else.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

C9JZEwwXkAEWLJL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom