• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Imagine spending 150-200M for that line up. No thanks.

Dembele evidently has mentality problems since he got his first big move to Dortmund; there's source after source saying he's not up for it in training, has no discipline and wastes away eating fastfood and not adhering to doctors' advice when injured.

Coutinho offers almost nothing in regards to his price. Bayern loaned him to get more creativity, but he hasn't really improved them. He's far too costly for the 80m asking price. You could get better players for that amount of money.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Coutinho and Dembele are capable of mesmerising brilliance. Albeit for not top10 world record fees, we used to be masters of bringing in elite quality at a ime that they appeared to be unfancied or off the radar. Bergkamp, Henry, Sanchez and Özil fit this description. Not too long ago Brazil seemed to be Neymar, Coutinho and others and he had a stint as the best player in this league. If motivated (Jury is out), he'd be an incredible signing. Dembele is a risk. He was as good as MBappe talent wise, but again there are questions over his motivation. I can see him leaving Barca and regaining his level a Dortmund.

The other approach is to hope that our youngsters are actually good or keep punting at higher mid-level signings such as Torreria (I rate him), Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasinac and Lacazette and hope they find a new level here.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Can’t think of many worse signings that Coutinho.

It would sum everything up tho, such a lazy signing. He scored a few goals for Liverpool. Let's ignore that Liverpool literally went up a gear when he left, was a flop at Barca, can't get into the Bayern starting XI and heck even Inter deemed him surplus to requirements when they were struggling post-Mourinho era. Even in the 13/14 season he wasn't really one of the standouts despite his late winner vs City. I honestly cannot remember times where he was anywhere close to being a consistent top player. The red flags are there for everyone to see, but knowing how we work we'll probably try and sign him.

The worst part about a player like Coutinho is that he doesn't really contribute in general play until he gets in and around the box and even then he'll take about 20 shots a game hoping one of them finds the net. He's incredibly wasteful at times in possession. He's the type of signing we should be avoiding at all costs.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The only thing that matters to those involved is money though. Coutinho makes sense for them all, Kia gets a massive agent fee, Edu gets a big name for his CV and Raul keeps his book of contacts happy.

Coutinho will live in London, earn silly money and not have any pressure on him as one long range goal a month will make our fans happy.

truth_hurts

It would sum everything up tho, such a lazy signing. He scored a few goals for Liverpool. Let's ignore that Liverpool literally went up a gear when he left, was a flop at Barca, can't get into the Bayern starting XI and heck even Inter deemed him surplus to requirements when they were struggling post-Mourinho era. Even in the 13/14 season he wasn't really one of the standouts despite his late winner vs City. I honestly cannot remember times where he was anywhere close to being a consistent top player. The red flags are there for everyone to see, but knowing how we work we'll probably try and sign him.

The worst part about a player like Coutinho is that he doesn't really contribute in general play until he gets in and around the box and even then he'll take about 20 shots a game hoping one of them finds the net. He's incredibly wasteful at times in possession. He's the type of signing we should be avoiding at all costs.

Liverpool getting better and Coutinho leaving can be mutually exclusive. Did we get better when RVP left because we started winning trophies again? Oh and we registered a 2nd place finish post Van Rapist. If not, unconscious bias is in play.

Strangely at the moment, we seem to have much more defensive balance and structure but no spark in attack. Pepe barely gets the ball in dangerous areas, PEA has been playing like a high scoring wing back and Laca and Özil haven't been performing. I just want some magic in our team. The benefit with a Coutinho over a James Rodriguez for example is that he knows the league. The benefit over a Grealish or Maddison is that he has actually shown elite level performance.

I would happily not sign Coutinho, but our attack needs bolstering. I think Pepe being played behind a striker could be a shout, but if so we need a top winger.

We could sell Auba in theory and become a better team by buying a proper winger. That wouldn't make Auba a bad player though. Just reinforcing the point made on Coutinho and Liverpool.

truth_hurts

If we had of signed Coutinho last summer when linked, I doubt we'd be floating mid-table. The prices quoted were silly though.

At 50-60m now, he'd be a snip. Shift Özil and Mkhi, groom ESR for the role. Attack sorted.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Liverpool getting better and Coutinho leaving can be mutually exclusive. Did we get better when RVP left because we started winning trophies again? Oh and we registered a 2nd place finish post Van Rapist. If not, unconscious bias is in play.

Strangely at the moment, we seem to have much more defensive balance and structure but no spark in attack. Pepe barely gets the ball in dangerous areas, PEA has been playing like a high scoring wing back and Laca and Özil haven't been performing. I just want some magic in our team. The benefit with a Coutinho over a James Rodriguez for example is that he knows the league. The benefit over a Grealish or Maddison is that he has actually shown elite level performance.

I would happily not sign Coutinho, but our attack needs bolstering. I think Pepe being played behind a striker could be a shout, but if so we need a top winger.

We could sell Auba in theory and become a better team by buying a proper winger. That wouldn't make Auba a bad player though. Just reinforcing the point made on Coutinho and Liverpool.

Liverpool became better because Coutinho was a square peg in a round hole for them. He didn't have the physical attributes to be the midfielder Klopp wanted and wasn't really a winger, he was kinda fitted into the team because of his ability like you said to come up with something. But they became much more dynamic when he left. The midfield functioned better, the front three were better than with him wide left.

We finished 4th after Van Persie left and with less points than when Van Persie was there in 11/12. It wasn't until we added quality in terms of Özil, Cazorla, Ramsey coming into his own that we eventually improved. With Coutinho leaving Liverpool it was much more immediate, the reached the CL final just months after Coutinho leaving, they became title contenders and won the CL the next season. With RvP there was a 2 tear gap between him leaving and us winning that FA Cup. There was plenty of players signed in that period to help us improve as a team.

Our attack needs bolstering but we need to be smart about this. Coutinho would not be a smart signing.

truth_hurts

Liverpool became better because Coutinho was a square peg in a round hole for them. He didn't have the physical attributes to be the midfielder Klopp wanted and wasn't really a winger, he was kinda fitted into the team because of his ability like you said to come up with something. But they became much more dynamic when he left. The midfield functioned better, the front three were better than with him wide left.

We finished 4th after Van Persie left and with less points than when Van Persie was there in 11/12. It wasn't until we added quality in terms of Özil, Cazorla, Ramsey coming into his own that we eventually improved. With Coutinho leaving Liverpool it was much more immediate, the reached the CL final just months after Coutinho leaving, they became title contenders and won the CL the next season. With RvP there was a 2 tear gap between him leaving and us winning that FA Cup. There was plenty of players signed in that period to help us improve as a team.

Our attack needs bolstering but we need to be smart about this. Coutinho would not be a smart signing.

Think that is very unfair on Coutinho and disregards many factors least of all Klopp understanding the league and HUGE investment into the squad (I've bolded your RVP point). I agree that the team is much more balanced without him, but feel that you are ignoring how good he was for about 18 months.

I actually agree that Coutinho may not be smart signing, he's a risk. A measured risk though and a n improvement over what we have. Top, top players do not want to join us as we lack appeal. The last top player that we signed was PEA over 2 years ago.

truth_hurts

All of that said, I'm trying to think of a similar situation to this that has paid off in recent times for a Premier League club. Out of favour, big money player, whose career is on the wane.

Goonger

Can't deny it, I like Coutinho the player. We all agree we lack some pace & power but another area we have properly regressed is we lack good footballers, & despite people saying he's nothing but a pot shot merchant, he is a very decent footballer.

What I don't like, is how much he would cost. I can't see any transfer to us making any sense finance wise, even a loan would take a big chunk of money, so unless we somehow get a James style 2 year loan, I can't see how we could make the figures work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom