• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu Transfer Targets: Summer 2020

Which signing would you prioritize of the two?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's a hard thing to balance. We employ the second most staff after Man United in the league. Our revenue is nowhere near theirs and we aren't a CL club at the moment. The nest way to get back to being a club that provide that level of jobs is by competing in the pitch. You only get there by expensive transfers

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The amount of people who will defend the club at any cost amazes me.

Financials constraints due to Covid-19 are so precarious that we have to release 55 relatively low paying members of staff.

We're looking to go out and spending £100m on 2 footballers so our financial hardships due to Covid-19 are obviously not that bad.

Pick one, because only one of these statements can be true.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Financials constraints due to Covid-19 are so precarious that we have to release 55 relatively low paying members of staff.

We're looking to go out and spending £100m on 2 footballers so our financial hardships due to Covid-19 are obviously not that bad.

Didn't know Raul was on a low wage.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Clearly isn't just to do with financials. Nobody knows the ins and outs of it yet everyone acts like an expert.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

Things aren't as black and white as this. The club could have kept them all on (presumably doing jobs that are deemed not necessary) out of charity but then when does that stop?

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Clearly isn't just to do with financials. Nobody knows the ins and outs of it yet everyone acts like an expert.

If it's not due to financial reasons why did we release them when the pandemic hit? For a laugh?

It's a joke that we go out there and try to present ourselves as a community club when we won't even look after our own in times of hardship.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If it's not due to financial reasons why did we release them when the pandemic hit? For a laugh?

It's a joke that we go out there and try to present ourselves as a community club when we won't even look after our own in times of hardship.

Listen to what people are saying though? Why should the club or any organisation for that matter hold onto people AND continue to pay them for maybe 2 years whilst they aren't working?

Like I said that isn't good for the club and that is incredibly unhealthy for the people involved as well.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Things aren't as black and white as this. The club could have kept them all on (presumably doing jobs that are deemed not necessary) out of charity but then when does that stop?

When you present yourself to world as a community club, yes I do expect the club to look after their lower payed employees in times of hardship.

I don't consider it 'charity' I consider it a moral and ethical thing to do.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Listen to what people are saying though? Why should the club or any organisation for that matter hold onto people AND continue to pay them for maybe 2 years whilst they aren't working?

Like I said that isn't good for the club and that is incredibly unhealthy for the people involved as well.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Every indication is we'll have a vaccine ready by the end of the year / start of next year and we'll have mass vaccinations completed by the middle of next year. Where you're getting 2 years from, I have no idea.

You should have stopped at 'It isn't good for the club' because that's all you seem to care about. Of course giving relatively low payed people economic security during a global pandemic is a good idea, for their mental health especially.

Malky

Established Member
Less than 2 months ago we released 55 staff members because of financial constraints, most of them probably being payed a pittance in the grand scheme of things. Everyone's forgotten about that after the initial outrage because we want new shiny toys to play with.

What?
The club clearly knew they could go about the day to day running of the club without those 55 people, they were no longer needed and in business you've got to be ruthless. What is the point in paying someone a wage to sit at home when they're of no use to you?

Say you own a car and you pay someone every week to come over and give it a full valet, but you get a 2 year driving ban so you decide to sell the car. Would you still pay that guy money every week even though there's nothing for him to do? I seriously doubt you would.

DanDare

Trusted ⭐

When you present yourself to world as a community club, yes I do expect the club to look after their lower payed employees in times of hardship.

I don't consider it 'charity' I consider it a moral and ethical thing to do.

Like I say though, when does it stop? At what point will it be acceptable to let these people go or do you think the club should keep them on indefinitely until COVID is no longer an issue?

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

What?
The club clearly knew they could go about the day to day running of the club without those 55 people, they were no longer needed and in business you've got to be ruthless. What is the point in paying someone a wage to sit at home when they're of no use to you?

Say you own a car and you pay someone every week to come over and give it a full valet, but you get a 2 year driving ban so you decide to sell the car. Would you still pay that guy money every week even though there's nothing for him to do? I seriously doubt you would.

The scenario you suggest isn't exactly analogous.

1- The valet wouldn't be reliant on me for their whole income / full time employment, I'd be one of many clients presumably.
2- Me getting a driving ban wouldn't hinder them finding other valeting clients, like the pandemic did.

I understand that the club had a legal right to stop employing these people, I'm not disputing that.
For me it's a moral issue, a club with the turnover and revenue of Arsenal had a moral duty to financially support it's lower payed employees during the pandemic. We love to portray ourselves as a community club and take all the good PR that comes from it, we should have act like it.

drippin

The scenario you suggest isn't exactly analogous.

1- The valet wouldn't be reliant on me for their whole income / full time employment, I'd be one of many clients presumably.
2- Me getting a driving ban wouldn't hinder them finding other valeting clients, like the pandemic did.

I understand that the club had a legal right to stop employing these people, I'm not disputing that.
For me it's a moral issue, a club with the turnover and revenue of Arsenal had a moral duty to financially support it's lower payed employees during the pandemic. We love to portray ourselves as a community club and take all the good PR that comes from it, we should have act like it.

Again, tell me how Raul was "lower paid employee". He definitely was not.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Again, tell me how Raul was "lower paid employee". He definitely was not.

Because it wasn't a relevant question. I've never been talking about Raul. The 55 members of staff I'm talking about were fired on August 5th.

Raul was fired on the 15th.

sykesy69

Isn't there 2 business sides to football clubs which they account for separately (Football and Operational).

While you can lean on one another to keep both afloat, if the main purpose is to be successful on the pitch to drive higher revenue/profits, how long do you try to keep the Operational side ticking with no upside, whilst taking from the Footballing side which seemed pretty lean to begin with?

Hypothetical:

Lets say the Operational side requires £1m to keep those 55 employeed next year, but at the risk of losing £6m in revenue their usual jobs could bring in but probably won't.

Do you rob £5m from this seasons Footballing side, meaning you can only buy £75m worth of talent, which may or may not be enough to push you into CL.

Or

Make 10% of your Operational staff redundant, knowing that they probably wouldn't be able to bring in any revenue and having a £100m warchest to bolster your main
goal of making the Footballing side as strong as possible for a CL push?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You have no idea what you're talking about. Every indication is we'll have a vaccine ready by the end of the year / start of next year and we'll have mass vaccinations completed by the middle of next year. Where you're getting 2 years from, I have no idea.

You should have stopped at 'It isn't good for the club' because that's all you seem to care about. Of course giving relatively low payed people economic security during a global pandemic is a good idea, for their mental health especially.

Oh dear. The people making the vaccine said there's little to no chance of mass vaccinations until 2024.

If you think we'll be even close to a vaccine by the end of the year youre very much mistaken.

drippin

Because it wasn't a relevant question. I've never been talking about Raul. The 55 members of staff I'm talking about were fired on August 5th.

Raul was fired on the 15th.

Hahahah. Raul being fired 10 days later has nothing to do with streamlining the business?

Firing Raul proves they did not do it only to lower paid employees, but also to the top.

You should not continue with your propaganda that the club only fired lower paid employees in this tough period. It is harmful for the club.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Isn't there 2 business sides to football clubs which they account for separately (Football and Operational).

While you can lean on one another to keep both afloat, if the main purpose is to be successful on the pitch to drive higher revenue/profits, how long do you try to keep the Operational side ticking with no upside, whilst taking from the Footballing side which seemed pretty lean to begin with?

Hypothetical:

Lets say the Operational side requires £1m to keep those 55 employeed next year, but at the risk of losing £6m in revenue their usual jobs could bring in but probably won't.

Do you rob £5m from this seasons Footballing side, meaning you can only buy £75m worth of talent, which may or may not be enough to push you into CL.

Or

Make 10% of your Operational staff redundant, knowing that they probably wouldn't be able to bring in any revenue and having a £100m warchest to bolster your main
goal of making the Footballing side as strong as possible for a CL push?

I get where you're coming from and I appreciate the well thought out post, but if people are honestly debating whether lessening a transfer budget for a summer from £80m to £75m to save 55 peoples jobs is a good idea or not, then football's lost it's soul.

I best leave it at that anyway, It's probably veering too close to politics now. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with this sort of talk. Probably best we get back to transfer rumours etc.

Appreciate the conversations even if we don't all agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil
Top Bottom