• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aston Villa: Unai Enemy

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Can't see him getting it. he's only being touted because he's american.
He'd need a director of football if he came here. A good coach, but no experience of the transfer market etc that comes with european management.

Kraig

Established Member
Martin Jol is the name im talking about with all my Villa mates. Has the league experience, top flight football experience with Ajax too, and knows how to get the best out of **** players (ex yid **** manager)

Fits the bill nicely i think.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
scruzgooner said:
bob bradley to replace mon?

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=AkUSpfmmxJBjUfJEAE5cp_cmw7YF?slug=ro-bradley080910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_yl ... dley080910</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that would be a step up for us footy. i don't know if it would be a step up for villa. a very interesting development.

He'd bring in his son as well, who would be a decent player for them.

phenn

Kraig said:
Martin Jol is the name im talking about with all my Villa mates. Has the league experience, top flight football experience with Ajax too, and knows how to get the best out of **** players (ex yid **** manager)

Martin Jol cannot get out of his Ajax contract. Not for Fulham, and not for Villa. Why is this hard to understand?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
phenn said:
Kraig said:

Martin Jol cannot get out of his Ajax contract. Not for Fulham, and not for Villa. Why is this hard to understand?

I thought it was a case of Ajax gave him what he wanted so he snubbed Fulham.

If the club was paid compensation why couldn't he get out of his contract just like any other manager?

Genuine question, I'm not being facaetious or anything.

ricky1985

Established Member
Pretty sure Ajax basically said to Jol; "you aint going anywhere", and told fulham they weren't even willing to negotiate a compensation fee.

phenn

Stevo the Villan said:
Hmmmm, that's not how I understood it. But I didn't follow it all that closely so I'll take your word for it.

Yeah they refused to even talk about compensation.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/07/22/fulham.jol.ap/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/s ... index.html</a> is one article about it.

scytheavatar

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=813359&sec=england&cc=3888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... nd&cc=3888</a>

Krulak told the Villa fansite VillaTalk.com: "There is absolutely no question that Martin did a good job for Villa and I have said that over and over. At the same time, I can promise everyone that he knew and understood the long-range plans for the club and bought into them.

"He knew full well about the need to bring wages in line with revenue - the same as every Premiership club. He was absolutely supported by the owner during his time with the club. All one needs to do is look at the money spent.

"The reality is that the wage-to-revenue issue was not addressed and Martin apparently was unwilling to help address it. He quit. No one person is bigger than our club - not me, not Randy, not Paul Faulkner [chief executive], not Martin. What is interesting is that, apparently, only three of those named understand that fact."

That's what I was talking about. It's useless to be getting 5th or 6th place finishes if your club is in the red and having above 80% wages to turnover ratio. In many ways O'Neill is worse than Rafa; at least Rafa sells some of his players and gets back some of his spent money. This post from the soccernet forums really explains what's wrong with O'Neill:

This is a probably the best forum debate I've seen on this topic. As a Villa fan I'm on Villa888 and killadelph's side here. Think about this naysayers...

A few of MON's transfer choices that illustrate how poorly he was running the financial aspect of the team...

Zat Knight 3.5 million
Marlon Harewood 3.5 million...and let go for free
Nigel Reo-Coker 8.5 million
Curtis Davies 10 million!!!!!
Steve Sidwell 5.5 million

That's over $30 million on peripheral players, none of that counts the 10 on Ashley Young, the 7 on Petrov, the 12 on Milner. MON paid just 2.5 for Brad Friedel, if he had more signings of that nature then he still has a job and more money he could've used this year.

It gets worse though. He sold Barry for just 12 million, Milner is commanding almost $30 in the open market and you can't get at least 15-17 out of Gareth Barry, seriously?? You only got $2 million more for Barry than you spent on Curtis Frickin Davies...People also forget that he sold Liam Ridgewell and Gary Cahill for just 6.5 put together. Those are two players who really, really would help bolster the squad if they were still there today. I can understand selling them, but $2 million for Liam Ridgewell is theft.

In just four years MON brought 30 players in for over $120 million and sent 29 out for just over $38 million. That's a deficit of over $80 million...DRAMATICAL LY higher wages and bigger deficits than Everton and Tottenham, for equal, if not slightly worse, results.

number_0

Established Member
Thats a stupid debate.

Comparing the different transfer values when everyone knows that transfers are not relative.

Barry was on his last year of his contract, so it was only 12 million then, or lose him for free the next window, O'niel did try to hold out for a 20-25 million from liverpool the previous year, but liverpool backed out the last minute.

NWgunner

I do generally agree withe the point they're making though. O'Neill was backed, and didn't achieve what he should've with the money. Lerner has rightly decided enough is enough, and wanted to retrench, and yet O'Neill hasn't done that. The sustainability of the club should be the most important thing, IMO

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Yeh I posted the General's forum post here when he first posted it (told you it was him for those who doubted it ;) )

It's true that O'neill had his dodgy transfer moments. But I think some analysis is unfair. Zat Knight for example. yes we all know he wasn't the greatest defender. He had his dodgy moments. but to be fair we got 2 seasons out of him at a time when we were low on defenders. next to a fully fit Laursen he wasn't too bad at all.
He did a job and despite some mistakes was fairly consistent. We then sold him for not far off what we bought him for.

Oh, and who can forget that goal in the 90th minute to equalise against some team. Can't quite remember who that was against... ;)

Sidwell, harwewood, heskey yes are all flops. Knight, Davies Downing certainly aren't. Davies coud still come good given half a chance.

That's where MON's fault lies. Signing players like Davies and young and then not playing them He's very stubborn, and it seems if someone falls out of favour then they are hard pushed to find a way back in.

NWgunner

But even some of those players you didn't list as flops you totally overpaid for. You get Davies for £10m, for less we get Koscielny and for slightly more we get Vermaelen!

bertlb2

NWgunner said:
I do generally agree withe the point they're making though. O'Neill was backed, and didn't achieve what he should've with the money. Lerner has rightly decided enough is enough, and wanted to retrench, and yet O'Neill hasn't done that. The sustainability of the club should be the most important thing, IMO

I feel there a couple of years where they could have got into the top4, get the CL money and build from there. Now that Sp*rs seem to get their act together and City is splashing so much money, it is very unlikely Villa will get into the top4 even with a decent investment. Hence I understand the owner to look coldly at the situation and stop the spending. MON is a good manager, but I doubt he will get a much better job than Villa tbh. Maybe he'll move back North. Looking at the deals he made, it doesn't seem like he knows a lot about the continent, so I don't think he'll do a McClaren.

He only bought 3 players outside of GB during his time at Villa: Carew (swap with Baros), Guzan from MLS and Salifou from a second division swiss team.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
NWgunner said:
But even some of those players you didn't list as flops you totally overpaid for. You get Davies for £10m, for less we get Koscielny and for slightly more we get Vermaelen!

But on the other hand he bought Dunne for 5m, Collins for 5m, Young for 9m, Milner for 10m Guzan for 100k. All of which are performing far above the pricetag they came with.

lagos

Established Member
My read on the situation is that the owners are content to be in the UEFA places and feel they are quite capable of that without extra spending and O'neil had ambitions to break into the top 4, a feat he felt he could not manage without extra spending.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Not at all. The general has said transfer fees themselves are fine. Randy is willing to spend. But he is not willing to let the club get itself into financial difficulties.

As it stands, wages are 85% of turnover. That's much much too high. They had to reduce the wage bill, MON bought into it, but when it came down to it and he was struggling to offload players, it would seem MON has bottled it.

The owners would love to push us on to get CL, but they are not going to jeopardise the club by doing it (a la Portsmouth, Leeds et al).
I'm happy with that. if that means we don't get CL any time soon then that's disappointing and a bit depressing. But I'd rather that than one flash in the pan having CL football for one year followed by a decade of sliding down the table because we can't afford to sustain ourselves at that level due to huge wages.

Fact of the matter is, O'Neill has players that he barely uses like Sidwell, NRC, Davies etc sucking wages out of the club. It seems the board told him that if he wasn't going to use them then they weren't needed and so should be replaced. God knows what Sidwell is on, probably 40-50k a week. For a player who makes a handful of appearances every season that's not good enough.
it seems O'neill agreed with this, and has now walked when it came down to it.

The ambitions matched. MON wants CL and the board want CL. However, MON wants CL by spending more and more. The board are happy to spend IF MON shifts the deadwood that are costing wages and not playing. This is what they disagreed on, not on where the club needed to be.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady

Latest posts

Top Bottom