• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aston Villa vs Arsenal - Squad Ratings

kenkbc2

Why do we even have to bother to rate Arshavin.

And for goodness sake, why is Arsène still playing him.. :shock: ??!!

Flog him off to Zenit a.s.a.p..

Even if we don't buy in January (even though we really should but know that Arsène won't), it'll give AOC and possibly even Ryo some game time. They definitely cannot be any worse than the little Russian..

yuvken

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
Pretty much agree. Arteta was motm for me.

Wenger needs to start making subs quicker, its driving me nuts.
yeah, Teta (Kos & Chez), Rosicky and mainly Yossi - but why so late? Yossi entered 10 minutes from time, we were 1:1, and it's not like Gerv set the world alight, Pong made us forget Song exists or Rambo just needed to burn 5 more miles to hit the target.

Yossi's already made his point before today. And today he made 3. I hope it's not going to be ignored.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Arteta looks to have found his pace again, he's really surprised me with his burst of acceleration after watching him looking so laboured at Everton. Our defenders must love the man.

Also agree with Fabo's ratings, spot on as usual. Merte and Koscielny have been excellent as a CB pairing, which is one of the main reasons why we only conceded two despite being under constant pressure for the last 180 minutes.

Wenger has had many hits recently as far as the transfer market is concerned, I shudder to think where we'd be if he didn't make those 'panic' buys. He pisses me off royally with his reluctance to cut dead-wood and buy replacements, but what's he achieved is still impressive if you consider the fact that Arshavin is our record signing.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
chesney 7

Le Coq 5
Kosh 7.5 kos the boss
Per 6
Verms 6

Frimpong 4
Arteta 7 great game
Ramsey 5

Walcott 4
Rvp 7 one goal and one assist
Gervinho 4

Yossi 7 thx you yossi
rozza 7 when he enter our team start moving forword
arsha 5 he cant even control the ball

error_prone

great stuff from the fans, every year i see at least 20 bad games(something like frimpong today) from walcott or arshavin, but when it comes to frimpong half of you want him to go on loan. so , if frimpong is not ready for the first team because he is too young or he had a bad game, what should we do with walcott, gervinho, arshavin or chamack? are they also too young? they need some games on loan? i have said many times, frimpong, coquleline, ramsey or oxlade, they will have good games and bad games, they are young, but it is not their fault that we have completley useless senior players. If you put in player like frimpong, you should excpect some help from other senior players, but what does he get? complete c*** from walcot and gervinho. Mark my words here, this gervinho guy, he will make francis jeffers transfer look like a bargain.

Bossa

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=ty9wAijWP7Q&annotation_id=annotation_108947&v=0pOGPgBp8Fs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv ... pOGPgBp8Fs</a>

Arteta vs Villa

ricky1985

Established Member
Brilliant from Arteta. I think it helped him playing a little deeper in Song's absence, slightly more time and space on the ball. Also think that's a factor in Ramsey's struggles, he gets less time on the ball, and it takes time to adapt.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Don't think time and space is a big factor for Arteta mate, he's aware of the situation around him when receiving the ball, his touch is great and he reads the game superbly. Ramsey just isn't of the same standard yet, looks like the ball is bobbling under his feet when he's receiving it at pace and he has a tendency to run in weird directions when he can't see a pass. Talent is there but he really needs to up his game.

Arsenal in Aus

I enjoyed Rosicky's appearance. Good composure and control, and some bite. When he got double-teamed and lost the ball, chasing down Nzogbia and stealing it back with a slide tackle in the 77th minute was just great to see. Then he distributed and just kept on playing like he hadn't done anything. Made me grin.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Has there been a more underachieving Arsenal player than Rosicky in recent times? What a frustrating career. Could have been absolutely immense.

ricky1985

Established Member
fabo said:
Don't think time and space is a big factor for Arteta mate, he's aware of the situation around him when receiving the ball, his touch is great and he reads the game superbly. Ramsey just isn't of the same standard yet, looks like the ball is bobbling under his feet when he's receiving it at pace and he has a tendency to run in weird directions when he can't see a pass. Talent is there but he really needs to up his game.
I agree Arteta's touch and awareness is particularly good, but I think every time he's struggled this season it's when he's played further up the pitch and looked to play the ball forward more often. When he gets a little deeper he gets time to stroke the ball around and pick his passes, and I think he looks a better player for it. That extra second or two on the ball makes all the difference in the world in the accuracy and effectiveness of your passing, in my opinion. Ramsey can pass all day long when he gets time on the ball, most good players can, and while I agree Arteta is better at making time for himself in congested areas (i.e. closer to the opposition's goal) with his better touch and awareness, if he had to do it all game, every game, like Ramsey, he'd lose the ball MUCH more often and his passing wouldn't be as accurate or reliable.

Think Wilshere had the same problem last season on the few occasions he got moved into that attacking midfield role. It takes time to really get used to it and play that bit quicker, especially in the Premier League.

AliBabaBrewer

error_prone said:
great stuff from the fans, every year i see at least 20 bad games(something like frimpong today) from walcott or arshavin, but when it comes to frimpong half of you want him to go on loan. so , if frimpong is not ready for the first team because he is too young or he had a bad game, what should we do with walcott, gervinho, arshavin or chamack? are they also too young? they need some games on loan? i have said many times, frimpong, coquleline, ramsey or oxlade, they will have good games and bad games, they are young, but it is not their fault that we have completley useless senior players. If you put in player like frimpong, you should excpect some help from other senior players, but what does he get? complete c*** from walcot and gervinho. Mark my words here, this gervinho guy, he will make francis jeffers transfer look like a bargain.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Valid points Ricky, I'm still doubtful that Rambo's role is the cause of certain struggles. There'll be sequences where you get more time on the ball in both deeper and offensive positions, depending on the circumstances and formation/approach of the other side. Press Arteta hard and the outcome will still be the same I think.

I still believe that Ramsey's current role suits him best, but that he's simply not ready to be as effective and consistent as we want/need him to be.

I think that he'll eventually start adding goals on a fairly consistent basis, he seems on the brink to me as he's in great positions every week literally. And that should give him some time and leeway with fans as he improves other areas of his game. We'll see how it pans out - I'd be disappointed if he didn't get 7-10 goals this season.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Ricky is correct in his reasoning, in that it is easier to assess the game when you're facing the play, which is the case for any deeply positioned players. Whereas performing higher up the pitch causes one to constantly receive the ball with his back to the opponents goal, thus having to rely heavily on ones peripheral vision, awareness and technique to overcome what is a difficult situation. This is further exacerbated by an opponent defender usually following tightly and restricting the players ability to turn towards the opponents goal with any sort of ease. Hence, why awareness and a superb first touch are imperative qualities for a player in such an advanced position to possess.

I've recently been thinking that Ramsey is better suited to a deeper role, where there is lesser emphasis on the aforementioned two qualities, both of which I believe to be relatively deficient in his game. Given that Ramsey has a knack for occupying good goalscoring positions and possesses a long shooting range, he would be better timing his moments from deep where he can make late runs into advanced positions. At the moment, he's a weaker link than both Gervinho and Walcott, both of whom are constantly missed by Ramsey or any other player in possession when making threatening runs.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Szczesny 6.5/10 - You cannot underestimate how important it is to have a reliable keeper at the back who can complete the basics, and some more.

Coquelin 4/10 - I thought he'd perform better than he did, but then again, N'Zogbia somehow managed to turn into a ****ing world beater again. I know it is relatively easier to perform against us as an attacker, because of the space we tend to allow, but blimey, this guy made Coquelin look inept at times.

Mertesacker 6/10 - Solid game, though he doesn't make many individual contributions, and I believe he could have done better for the goal conceded, despite the pressure he was placed under.

Koscielny 7/10 - He's cutting the sloppy mistakes out of his game, and he's very strong at the back now. He was beating Agbonlahor in the air, and on the ground.

Vermaelen 5/10 - Thank god, Wenger thought of him as a permanent CB. He's pretty awful out on the flank, to be honest.

Frimpong 3.5/10 - Completely awful performance, could barely complete a pass, and is currently an un-Arsenal player. I don't think we can afford to spend much time on this guy. It's amazing that he is an Arsenal graduate, because you couldn't tell, otherwise. He's got good defensive qualities, but is way too mediocre on the ball, especially under pressure where he is just plain old ****. We need three midfielders who have excellent technique and a strong short passing game. If there are questions in that regard in reference to Ramsey, then Frimpong should be in the frying pan. Needs to improve significantly for next season, otherwise ship him out. We shouldn't be a creche for him develop.

Arteta 7/10 - Classy footballer. I hate the fact that we didn't buy him any earlier. ****ing hell.

Ramsey 4/10 - He looks physically finished. Ran his heart out as usual, but could barely find a pass. Needs to be rested, and the burden on him needs to be reduced.

Walcott 5/10 - Barely offered much which was somewhat expected, but was unlucky to score. I had to rewatch the part where he did a dummy to get past an Aston Villa defender, as I couldn't believe my eyes. He's improving technically all the time. Just needs to stop fluctuating with his performances.

Gervinho 5/10 - Like Walcott, didn't offer much. Couldn't get the better of Hutton, though he was through on goal if Ramsey didn't overhit his through pass.

van Persie 7/10 - Struggled to get into the game, and is now becoming pretty selfish. Good thing, to be honest.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I think Benayoun is just as poor as Arshavin in possession. However, the contrast couldn't be greater in their actions off the ball. Benayoun played a wayward pass to Arshavin who was stood in an advanced position, the latter remained still as the ball was lost, whilst the Israeli ran past the Russian to press the opponent into recovering the ball.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Frimpong also played deep and he looked to have no space or time on the ball, Song can also be caught on the ball way too often.

When you play deep you won't have to deal with playing back to goal, but if your opponents smell weakness they will press you hard like Villa did with Frimpong. Even against Dortmund Arteta was allowed a fair bit of time on the ball as Dortmund focused their pressing on players who are more likely to concede posession.

fabo

6.51 / 10
It's true. I still don't agree with the lads points, in reference to Ramsey anyway, in general I agree though.

I rarely see Ramsey making errors because he's receiving the ball with his back to goal, I see a number of other issues which I guess would be a problem whether he played in his current role or Arteta's one, namely inconsistent first touch, often slow reading the game, choice of pass, decision-making in general, he's a bit rough in certain areas. I was bringing this stuff up pre-injury aswell. Had a look at his City compilation there and I don't think his role is playing a huge part in his struggles(hard to define him atm, he's not really a dedicated AM, more like the most offensive-minded CM of the trio imo).

I think we have to persevere with him in his current role tbh, but Wenger needs to be a tad more ruthless/smart when he's having stinkers and pull him out more often.

fabo

6.51 / 10
And he occasionally does something which makes you think he might just eradicate this stuff from his game in time, he can produce some superb passes and his vision can be top notch the odd time.

The biggest disappointment for me is lack of goals, there's barely a game that goes by that Ramsey isn't getting at least one great chance. Really should have done better at City when he miscontrolled that RVP deflected shot in the box, better first touch there and it should be a simple goal. At Villa he was freed wonderfully by RVP but didn't have the burst to get away and struck it wide from distance instead.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom