• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bacary Sagna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky1985

Established Member
quincy42 said:
celestis said:
More I think about it , the less sense it makes with Hoyte ,Gilbert and Eboue . All of them above average.

Is above average what we want though?

If we look at our team, the only players we can truly classify at or near super quality footballer realm are Henry, Gallas, van Persie, Rosicky, Gilberto, Lehmann and Fabregas. We should be working at bringing each of the other positions closer to this level within the starting line-up. I admit that left wing is the biggest priority, but why not buy a superior right back if one is available to start to bring the average starter quality up?

I admit left wing is a priority, but let's not forget something. Buying David Silva, Ribery or other left wing before disposing of Reyes will only bring Reyes' price further down because we'll obviously be desperate to get rid of him. The late end of the Spanish season is holding back our transfer dealings.

Tell me you forgot Toure by accident, because he is definitely 'super-class'. Clichy isnt far from that level either.

Zico

Established Member
No, I didn't forget Toure by accident. I love the guy. Probably my favorite cat at Arsenal. But I want an extended period of defensive dominance before I put him there. In his defense (pardon the pun), he's still young.

AFCFan4Ever

I love Pascal Cygan. said:
Let's be honest, no matter how much spin you try and put on it, this would be the most pointless signing of the summer.

QFT.

What on earth TBH??? Is Eboue THAT bad that we need to splash 6 mil. for another RB...esp. considering Hoyte is not a horrible option as a backup? Not in my book.

Zico

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Tell me you forgot Toure by accident, because he is definitely 'super-class'. Clichy isnt far from that level either.

I know that I may sound a bit harsh, but the way I like to assess our players is this - would they be able to walk onto other top 4 clubs?

The players I mentioned would be able to walk on to those other clubs. Would Toure walk into those clubs ahead of Terry, Carvalho, Ferdinand, Vidic, Agger, and Carragher? I don't think so. Henry would walk into all the clubs, while each of Gallas, Fabregas, Gilberto, Rosicky, van Persie and Lehmann would be able to walk onto one or more of the other clubs.

It might seem an arbitrary way to measure players, but it's clear in the last few years that these are the only teams we are competing against domestically and they are buying more and more quality players, so it is useful to compare your players to their own.

As for Clichy, left back is generally a weak position, but he'd have no chance starting at United and Chelsea. Perhaps at Liverpool, but even an out of position Riise is a better man-to-man defender than him at present.

belgianfan

Indeed bad signing, save the money we have for real signings ffs where it is needed.

If we spend money on a few decent players to strengthen the squad it costs a lot asswell.

Rather spend it one star then 3 potentially good footballers.

This team needs more stars, people who you can built one, people who can uplift the team. People who can decide games ffs. We already have a ton of prospects in the first team and reserves to build 3 teams, so numbers don't matter anymore. It's quality that does it

ricky1985

Established Member
quincy42 said:
ricky1985 said:

I know that I may sound a bit harsh, but the way I like to assess our players is this - would they be able to walk onto other top 4 clubs?

The players I mentioned would be able to walk on to those other clubs. Would Toure walk into those clubs ahead of Terry, Carvalho, Ferdinand, Vidic, Agger, and Carragher? I don't think so. Henry would walk into all the clubs, while each of Gallas, Fabregas, Gilberto, Rosicky, van Persie and Lehmann would be able to walk onto one or more of the other clubs.

It might seem an arbitrary way to measure players, but it's clear in the last few years that these are the only teams we are competing against domestically and they are buying more and more quality players, so it is useful to compare your players to their own.

As for Clichy, left back is generally a weak position, but he'd have no chance starting at United and Chelsea. Perhaps at Liverpool, but even an out of position Riise is a better man-to-man defender than him at present.

I completely disagree.

You think Carragher, Vidic and Agger are better than Kolo Toure?

Carragher - doesnt have the speed to be a world class centreback, altough he reads the game really well, come on who would you fancy to mark Thierry Henry or Didier Drogba, out of a game?
Ronaldinho sat him on his arse at least three times on Friday against England, you think Carrageher would walk straight into our team then?

Agger - one half decent season in a very defensive team doesnt make you a top drawer player, he is a good defender and nothing more, how on earth can you begin to say he is a better than a player who has gone an entire season unbeaten in the league and played in the champions league for 5 seasons?

Vidic - Where do people get this God like view of him from? - So he's good in the air, reads the game well, and thats about it, Kaka made mincemeat of him more than once I would love to see him try to do that to Toure, he would eat Kaka for breakfast. I have seen some of the most shocking defensive performances this season from Vidic but it gets glossed over because A) He plays for man U, B) Man U won most of them games anyway (didnt you watch Liverpool away, Bellamy ripped him a new arse hole, didnt get mentioned though because Peter Crouch finishes like my nan and Man U still won the game) and C) because people in this country are obsessed with a John Terry type centre back who puts himself about, goes in hard and puts he head in where it hurts, there is more to being a centre back that being hard.

As for the other centre backs you mentioned Rio, Terry and Carvalho, personally I wouldnt even consider them ahead of toure but i would have no arguement against someone who does, because they are all top class players and it really comes down to your personal opinion of what a centreback should be (Toure in my opinion has the perfect build, hieght and attributes).

Clichy wouldnt get into Man Uniteds team, seriously mate, no offence but; do you support Man U? :)

Evra is a shoddy player who Barcelona, Real Madrid, and AC Milan wouldnt touch with a 10 foot barge pole. He is very quick, granted but he has a brain as advanced as a plank of wood.
One-on-one Clichy is right up there with the worlds best, he has marked nearly every dangerous right winger he has played aginst this season out of the game, including C.Ronaldo and Aaron Lennon.
I will admit his in-box defending needs to improve but he is still only 21. His dribbling is top clas but again his final ball needs to get better.
Even Liverpool fans would admit that Clichy is far better left back than John 'I'm only good at shooting' Riise, he cant defend to save his life both one-on-one and from crosse and set-pieces.

I'm not having a go mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion, It just frustrates me that Arsenal fans dont appreciate how good Toure is.
He is regularly isolated and exposed, by players around him, and yet he very rarely succumbs in those situations. A few average months and people have forgotten 4 years of consistently brilliant performances. Remember this man hasnt had a break in two years and along side Drogba has lead his country into two major tournaments, whilst maintaining an astonishingly high standard, the guy like alot of players who played a long season last year, followed by a hard fought World Cup campaign and then another gruelling season need a long, well deserved rest.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
If this Sagna signs, then there's a real possibility that Emannuel Eboue could be our new right winger.We already have Eboue and Hoyte to play right back, so that's the only logical explanation I can think of.

asajoseph

Established Member
Moving Eboue to the right wing and dropping Hleb seems highly unlikely to me - but if Wenger did that, it would smack to me of taking a cheap option more than anything else.

Eboue has looked decidedly ordinary to me, as a right midfielder.

Lord Dula

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Moving Eboue to the right wing and dropping Hleb seems highly unlikely to me - but if Wenger did that, it would smack to me of taking a cheap option more than anything else.

Did you not see him come on against Sp**s at White Harte Lane? The boy was dangerous.

I know my players, and I've yet to be proved wrong. Eboue at right wing will be perfect against mid to lower league sides especially away from home. These are the teams we have struggled to beat.

Hleb can play there against top sides, with Eboue reverting back to the fullback position.

Grampus_Eight

The fee quoted here seems very high. If he leaves Aux. he'll leave for half (at maximum) the £6m that his agent and club have put out there.

He hasn't been linked to any other big clubs and while Chelski, United and Liverpool are all likely looking for a present or future right back, none would spend big on Bakary.

Lyon already have Clerc.

I couldn't see Madrid or Barca having an interest either. Nor either Mian club - so who is going to pay a ridiculous sum for a player who is still a recent convert to the position and has just earned a solitary cap?

If he arrives it will be because Eboue is injury prone, crazy, will miss time for the ANC and the Boss doesn't think Hoyte has the ability to suceed.

Pushing Hoyte aside would be a good idea in my opinion, but since the Boss just handed him a new contract - this whole think is probably just a bit of shop window.

jester

Established Member
asajoseph said:

agree. If we want a winger, buy a winger.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Don't think Eboue has enough attacking prowess to be a winger for us tbh. He has pace and running power, but won't net us many goals and doesn't really have alot of craft with the ball at his feet apart from pushing the ball past his opponent and chasing. We need more than this from our wide men if we want to go up a level.

Nutsy

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/06/05/gunners-to-snag-sagna-89520-19247003/

ARSENAL have contacted Auxerre about signing highlyrated left-back Bakari Sagna.

Hee hee.. The moment I see that. It's a pure speculation to be honest. Although, I've seen plenty of the news about us buying him. but still. Mirror got it worng. Sagna's a Right back.

belgianfan

Gunners_Nadz said:
GoonerGurjit said:
www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/06/05/gunners-to-snag-sagna-89520-19247003/

ARSENAL have contacted Auxerre about signing highlyrated left-back Bakari Sagna.

Hee hee.. The moment I see that. It's a pure speculation to be honest. Although, I've seen plenty of the news about us buying him. but still. Mirror got it worng. Sagna's a Right back.

Jup nadz, I mean do this journalists not even respect their own job. Do they need at least do a bit of research. Missing the fact that he is right or left back is an immense difference.

banduan

Established Member
If we sign him it means we signed on Eboue for the right side of midfield.

Hleb will probably get shunted middle or be moved to the bench, or moved left to fill in our troublesome left wing. We have 4 players who can play on the right wing to some extent, and hardly any on the left.

Of course, we'd all thought the idea was to buy a left winger in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom