• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Birmingham v Arsenal 12.45pm Saturday 23rd February 2008

Anzac

Established Member
I won't go on about my opinions on our performance today - suffice to say that I can understand our 1st half performance based upon our reaction to Eduardo's injury - the boys just didn't seem to get it out of their heads at all.

As for the 2nd half I think Johnathan Chong's open letter on the home page pretty well sums up our performance, or at least the performances of our key players.

famous no 10

Established Member
marco said:
fantastic performance second half as well from the boys...

feel sick as anything for eduardo firstly and the fact that we didnt win this game is buging me soo much

we threw it away
so many chances arrghhhh this feels like 03 - not been this pissed off since old trafford 04/05 season i think

Not really, was it?

I mean, yeah our heads were all ****ed up by the injury...but against a 10 men, crap 'brum side?

We were good for most of it, but Bendtner wasn't great, Ade was worse....wasteful, and greedy....clichy's mistake was just piss poor, and all in all, didn't finish them off like a team at the top of the table should....and really, if we can't finish our chance, we're not playing well.

**** it though, I'm more pissed off about our Edu.

awooga83

Established Member
If you do what he did and risk doing that to someones leg you have to face the consequences.

You say you can't stop it well then you punish the offenders as severely as you can to try to address the imbalance of justice.

ibby

Established Member
awooga83 said:
If you do what he did and risk doing that to someones leg you have to face the consequences.

You say you can't stop it well then you punish the offenders as severely as you can to try to address the imbalance of justice.

What is "as severely as you can?" Until Eduardo comes back from injury (Which could be never)? Which is extremely unfair.

awooga83

Established Member
Well what happened to Eduardo was unfair, its merely a balancing of those situations.

I think its unfair for a player who has done that to get such a minimal punishment considering the severity of his actions and the possible implications for Eduardo.

ibby

Established Member
awooga83 said:
Well what happened to Eduardo was unfair, its merely a balancing of those situations.

I think its unfair for a player who has done that to get such a minimal punishment considering the severity of his actions and the possible implications for Eduardo.

I might sound like a complete tit here but **** happens.

Have you watched Shawshank Redemption? The role Morgan Freeman plays, Red, killed someone, according to you, inorder for it to balance it out, Red should have been killed.

This is a bit like that (not really is it?) but clearly you can see where I am coming from? Especially seeing he didn't do it intentionally.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
ibby said:
awooga83 said:

I might sound like a complete tit here but s**t happens.

Have you watched Shawshank Redemption? The role Morgan Freeman plays, Red, killed someone, according to you, inorder for it to balance it out, Red should have been killed.

This is a bit like that (not really is it?) but clearly you can see where I am coming from? Especially seeing he didn't do it intentionally.
Only if the punishment proposed would be for someone to break Taylor's leg, which it is not.

awooga83

Established Member
But people can be punsihed severly for crimes they didn't intedn to do thats part of life.

The point of red cards is to balance things up to address the wrong someone has done and in this case he has done a major wrong pratically the worse thing you can do in football.

The type of challenge he made is high risk he knows that by continuing to do it he took the risk of seriously hurting Eduardo but neglected that risk. When he ends up doing what he did as a result he has to face the music ordinarily he might have got 'lucky' and only been sent off but if you make contact like he did then you should recieve a more severe punishment because it is not an equivalent offence, the damage he has done is far worse and he must pay for it whether or not he directly intended to or not and lets not be naive anyone in football knows the type of challenge he made can result in broken legs so he can't sit there an say I had no idea that would happen.

Anzac

Established Member
I don't want to get too much into this debate re the injury & suitable punishment, but I will say that I can't agree with you regarding 'intent' Ibby.

Intent is a bit of a smoke screen - in this instance if he intended to cause injury he should be charged with a criminal offence (let alone civil), as that amounts to an 'assault with intent to injure' - the fact that it took place during a contact sport is another smoke screen, especially as going over the ball is deemed illegal.

Furthermore the Law also recognises 'reckless', 'careless' or 'dangerous' behavior, where the individual's actions may not have been deliberate in their 'intent' to cause the consequences of their actions (i.e. he did not mean to break his leg), but that he knew that an injury or such was a likely consequence of his actions.

To put it a different way - intent = murder charge, whereas without it = manslaughter. But I do agree that this sort of incident / tackle is far too tolerated in sport, and that as in Law 'ignorance is no excuse'.

I applaud the ref for taking such direct & immediate action.

giuliob

@awooga
All your posts regarding the injury, what constitutes intentional injury, etc. are really well articulated....Nice job.....

scruzgooner

kamikaze80 said:
ibby said:
kamikaze80 said:
what pisses me off even more is mcleish's comment after the match: "I didn't think it was a sending off challenge. I think he mis-timed it and perhaps on another occasion you might say to Martin 'stand up and don't dive in.' But you see millions of tackles in the Premier League which look horrendous if you slow them down."

The last paragraph I agree with you on.

The first two I have already covered. I said it was reckless, what I had a problem with was people saying he should "have the book dashed at him." I said it before and I'll said it again, stuff like this happens in football. If it happened to Ronaldo today I doubt anyone on here would have been complaining.

What we have to do is use it as motivation and go out and win the title.
no, youre not agreeing with me, you're agreeing with mcleish. youre saying it was reckless, but "stuff like this happens in football." mcleish said it was mistimed and there are "millions" of tackles that look just as bad in slow motion. youre essentially saying the same thing.

what i'm saying is, there was no need for him to flying in with his studs that high. when you go in with your studs that high on a players planted leg, only horrible things can happen. sure, it wasnt intentional, but when you go in like that and dont pull out, youre always going to risk something like that happening. maybe eduardo's is the 1 time out of 1000 where the "tackler" doesnt pull out and eduardo doesnt jump out of the way or at least get his weight off his leg, but thats the point. thats why you dont drive without a seat belt, thats why you dont walk around a golf course during a thunderstorm holding a 10ft metal pole, thats why you hand someone scissors with the handle towards them.

to say that it happens all the time doesnt justify it. the fact that it happens all the time is precisely why this aspect of the english game needs to be abolished. and yes, if he had done that to ronaldo, i wouldnt be against a lengthy ban for him. i might not sympathise as much for the victim due to the fact that ronaldo is a c**t, but it doesnt affect the wrongness of the crime.
k80, your post is dead on. there should be no "studs up mother brown" in english football, and players who do injure others from reckless challenges like taylor's should be banned for the length of the injured's absence. if it ends their career they should be forced to pay restitution from wages as long as they're in fa-sanctioned english football, as well as suffer a year's ban.

otherwise the gits will keep playing this way; it's all they can do against superior skill ("he was too fast for me", makes me sick).

however, let's focus on the positive. send him a note, sing his name, wear his shirt...if you pray, pray for him and his family.

get well soon edu!

thegame24

Established Member
sick day.

absolutly disgusting challenge and that was never a penalty.

like last season, we lose all our trophies in one week.

kamikaze80

Established Member
i dont think its lost yet. we're still 3 pts ahead and i think our boys will continue to surprise everyone with their mental strength. getting rosicky and van persie fit and playing would be a great start.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Not a good day at all.

Although I'm more concerned, as probably is all our team, fans, coaches and staff about Eduardo then the game itself.

It was a disappointing result and we really should have won the game.

Were still upfront by 3 points though and I'm sure we can keep it that way.

CrazyInLoveWithArsenal

I ****ing hope Taylor rots in hell! ****ing bastard..

I just pray Eduardo will get better soon, I for one am confident we will see him in an Arsenal shirt again.

Ooh to be a gooner

Alliadiere got a red card for slapping Mascherano today, and it would be the most perverse kind of justice if Taylor received the same punishment for that brutal and abhorrent challenge on Eduardo. Now I'm not necessarily of the opinion that it was intentional, but I am certain that it was horrendously reckless.
The media in the UK have attempted to appear "measured" iin their response, and whilst obviously disturbed by the event, have refrained from calling for any additional punishment to be meted out to Taylor. In fact some commentators have even tried to almost portray Taylor as the victim who is deeply overwhelmed with grief at having subjected a fellow pro footballer to a potentially career threatening injury.

Now please imagine a scenario where England are in the semi finals of the world cup (I know that this will require an extraordinary leap of imagination, but please try) and Wayne Rooney has almost single handedly got them there, and they face Germany in the semi's, and he is scythed down by a similar challenge to what Eduardo faced today with the same horrific outcome. I doubt whether the media would have the same detached and reasoned response as they did today if that happened! Let's be honest, they would be virtually calling for the players head on a platter!

Maybe it will require a player of the stature of a Rooney, Henry, Ronaldo, Zidane etc to be cut down in there prime before something is done.

What happened today is totaly unacceptable, and the game would only benefit if this type of challenge was outlawed. This would enable the more skillful, and technically gifted players to flourish, which is surely what football lovers want to see.

It wouldn't be the first time a law protecting players has been introduced, after all there was a time when you could barge a goalkeeper even when he had both hands on the ball, and the game certainly wasn't affected detrimentally as a result of that change. And even more recently the tackle from behind has largely been eradicated, and good riddance to it!

I really hope something good comes out of Eduardo's personal tragedy

vin de guerre

In a rather perverse way I do hope AW takes the opportunity to motivate our squad to change their mind frame. We now need to show that every game is our final game and in honour to Eduardo we dont drop a point nor lose a CL game.
We doubly need the siverware back home at the end of the season. I just remember after we won the EPL and crocked Pires came on to an almighty ovation from fans and players! I hope we can do the same for Eduardo.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
anyway, there was alot of fair points motd rightly pointed out for this match.

ade should have been given a penalty for shirt tugging.

clichy should not be crucifield of his error, he did make a mistake but he redeemed himself as he made a legitimate tackle, which the ref blundered and gave a stupid penalty. wtf

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom