• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Charlie Patino: No Swan Song Afterall

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think it's going to be very hard for him to break through into this Arsenal team.

If you look at the midfield we have now, and the strengthening that is not unlikely to come, it seems a tough proposition.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think it's going to be very hard for him to break through into this Arsenal team.

If you look at the midfield we have now, and the strengthening that is not unlikely to come, it seems a tough proposition.
That where selling him with buyback option should be considered we can get good money from him plus we can buyhim back if he really continues do well. Or simply sell ESR and let Patino take his place

Vieira and ESR(sadly) have to be on their way out. Jorginho might want to leave after the season and Elneny even too.

Bucephalus

Vieira and ESR(sadly) have to be on their way out. Jorginho might want to leave after the season and Elneny even too.
I'd take Patino over Viera right now. And you're right, Jorginho and Elneny are likely to be moving on soon.

But what do you do with Patino vs. ESR? ESR has shown he can do it at the PL level, but has an awful health record. Patino has shown potential, and is healthy. And they'll be competing for the same minutes, and splitting those minutes between them won't be enough to either prove that Patino is good enough or ESR can stay healthy enough.

So cash in on ESR's proven ability while taking an injury record discount? Or cash in on Patino's potential and seeming healthiness, and risk Patino realizing his potential while ESR stays forever injured? I'm glad it's not my responsibility to make that kind of decision, and I can just second-guess after the fact on a message board.

I'd take Patino over Viera right now. And you're right, Jorginho and Elneny are likely to be moving on soon.

But what do you do with Patino vs. ESR? ESR has shown he can do it at the PL level, but has an awful health record. Patino has shown potential, and is healthy. And they'll be competing for the same minutes, and splitting those minutes between them won't be enough to either prove that Patino is good enough or ESR can stay healthy enough.

So cash in on ESR's proven ability while taking an injury record discount? Or cash in on Patino's potential and seeming healthiness, and risk Patino realizing his potential while ESR stays forever injured? I'm glad it's not my responsibility to make that kind of decision, and I can just second-guess after the fact on a message board.

I love ESR but I think its time to move him on and he tries his luck elsewhere, he should consider warmer region, Italy or Spain. Maybe the heat can help with the injuries!

If Patino has a good spell he should get chance to impress next summer pre-season!

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Saliba's path to the first team might become the model that we follow for developing some of our young players. Arteta has gotten this team playing at such a high level that we can't really afford to develop players during the season. Anyone that comes into the team has to be ready to perform at the highest level, and that is a massive step up from the academy.

Right now it sounds like Patino's loan is going well, but he still might not be ready to produce for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out on loan again next season to maybe a team in Germany, France, or Spain that is playing in Europe.

Saliba followed a similar path. Loan to Nice and he got a full season of experience. Then a loan to Marseille, where he got European experience and was one of the best players in the league. At that point, he was ready to play for us.

If Patino continues to have a good season at Swansea, a loan to Marseille, Leverkusen, or Real Sociedad could be great for his development, and then he'd definitely be ready for us. He just turned 20, so he'd still be only 21 at the start of the season after next.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Saliba's path to the first team might become the model that we follow for developing some of our young players. Arteta has gotten this team playing at such a high level that we can't really afford to develop players during the season. Anyone that comes into the team has to be ready to perform at the highest level, and that is a massive step up from the academy.

Right now it sounds like Patino's loan is going well, but he still might not be ready to produce for us. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes out on loan again next season to maybe a team in Germany, France, or Spain that is playing in Europe.

Saliba followed a similar path. Loan to Nice and he got a full season of experience. Then a loan to Marseille, where he got European experience and was one of the best players in the league. At that point, he was ready to play for us.

If Patino continues to have a good season at Swansea, a loan to Marseille, Leverkusen, or Real Sociedad could be great for his development, and then he'd definitely be ready for us. He just turned 20, so he'd still be only 21 at the start of the season after next.
You get the feeling that Ligue 1 is a good ground for loanees. Still, it is some leap from Blackpool/Swansea to play for Marseille.

TheGreatWright8

Player:Jesus
Good to see him doing well, i don't believe he will make it at Arsenal as the step up is massive and the physical deficiencies will hinder him big time.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You get the feeling that Ligue 1 is a good ground for loanees. Still, it is some leap from Blackpool/Swansea to play for Marseille.
It isn't as big of a leap as playing for Arsenal. If this loan goes well this season, I think he might still need one more loan before he's ready.

ragnarock

Good to see him doing well, i don't believe he will make it at Arsenal as the step up is massive and the physical deficiencies will hinder him big time.
Seems he has bulked up big time though.

Watched a highlight reel recently and was not widely impressed.. 5 minutes of him getting kicked.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Great to see Charlie doing well.
It's still a massive leap from performing in the Championship to the Prem especially at a top team but let's hope he can continue to develop.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Cut the revisionism, please. Arteta dealt with Saliba in a terrible way. And stop believe that he ever will promote youngsters.
It really is amazing how people still think that Arteta dealt with Saliba in a terrible way, when the end result has been beyond most people's expectations.

Obviously, the biggest mistake was that they didn't send him on loan early enough in 2020, so he ended up spending half of the season with the U23s before being sent back on loan to Nice in January 2021.

In hindsight, Arteta could have handled this situation better, but the reason why he didn't play for us was because Arteta didn't think that a 19yo CB was ready to play for us. I don't think anyone should think he was wrong with that assessment. Sure, when Arsenal teams weren't being built to challenge Man City, we would have started a 19yo, but we're clearly on a different trajectory now.

The next season, we bought Ben White, and Arteta rightfully concluded that Saliba still needed more experience. He probably would have been White's backup. Saliba then had a great season at Marseille, and broke into the France squad. When he came back to us he was not only ready to start for us, but he was good enough to become one of the best defenders in the EPL. We then moved White to RB, bought Zinchenko, and created a minor tactical revolution by using Zinchenko as an inverted fullback. We couldn't even use those tactics without having a RB who could also play CB.

Saliba despite being a massive, massive talent still needed multiple loans to get to the level that Arteta wanted. Just because Arteta's level is higher than we were accustomed to when he first became our manager doesn't mean that he did something "terrible" because he broke away from the status quo.

In fact, it probably means that he's doing something remarkable. I wouldn't be surprised if our biggest talents need multiple, successful loans before they can break into the first team.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
Saliba would have made mistakes and would have been destroyed by our fanbase. He got to play for Marseille still under pressure but out of the intense scrutiny of a top 4 PL club.

It was best for him. He lost family members and the support of his family at home in France was probably so helpful for his development personally. I think Arteta made the right decision with the player.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The next season, we bought Ben White, and Arteta rightfully concluded that Saliba still needed more experience. He probably would have been White's backup. Saliba then had a great season at Marseille, and broke into the France squad. When he came back to us he was not only ready to start for us, but he was good enough to become one of the best defenders in the EPL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of rubbish, the guy pocketed Mbappe but wasn't good enough to start before BW :lol:

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of rubbish, the guy pocketed Mbappe but wasn't good enough to start before BW :lol:
Yeah, you're confusing talent with consistency. Saliba is more talented than White, but White had just played a full season at Brighton and before that he had a full season for Leeds with Marcelo Bielsa. It is easier to understand what someone can consistently produce at the highest level when they've been doing it for multiple seasons.

Arteta has stated that they want young, experienced players. Ben White was young and experienced. Saliba was just young. He needed more experience. He got that experience at Marseille. He became a better player that season.

Saliba's talent is clear, he needed the other attributes that Arteta wants before he was ready to play for us. This is pretty obvious.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It really is amazing how people still think that Arteta dealt with Saliba in a terrible way, when the end result has been beyond most people's expectations.

Obviously, the biggest mistake was that they didn't send him on loan early enough in 2020, so he ended up spending half of the season with the U23s before being sent back on loan to Nice in January 2021.

In hindsight, Arteta could have handled this situation better, but the reason why he didn't play for us was because Arteta didn't think that a 19yo CB was ready to play for us. I don't think anyone should think he was wrong with that assessment. Sure, when Arsenal teams weren't being built to challenge Man City, we would have started a 19yo, but we're clearly on a different trajectory now.

The next season, we bought Ben White, and Arteta rightfully concluded that Saliba still needed more experience. He probably would have been White's backup. Saliba then had a great season at Marseille, and broke into the France squad. When he came back to us he was not only ready to start for us, but he was good enough to become one of the best defenders in the EPL. We then moved White to RB, bought Zinchenko, and created a minor tactical revolution by using Zinchenko as an inverted fullback. We couldn't even use those tactics without having a RB who could also play CB.

Saliba despite being a massive, massive talent still needed multiple loans to get to the level that Arteta wanted. Just because Arteta's level is higher than we were accustomed to when he first became our manager doesn't mean that he did something "terrible" because he broke away from the status quo.

In fact, it probably means that he's doing something remarkable. I wouldn't be surprised if our biggest talents need multiple, successful loans before they can break into the first team.

I’m actually sick of this sh*t why the f*ck did I click on this thread

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
I don't think he'll make it at Arsenal, as I've said before, he's not athletic enough, hopefully I'm wrong.
This was the general gist I got from watching his highlights as well but I'm not going to pretend I watch him regularly to know.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom