• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL | Arsenal vs Borussia Dortmund | Tue 22nd Oct 19.45

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Didn't expect that from Dortmund fans i thought they were classy but not looks like they are c**ts.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I'm not sure they'd all condone this type of behavior. I Wouldn't be surprised if the club offered to pay for the damage and sent a sincere letter of apology.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict
Unfortunately the onus is on us in this group now. Napoli and Dortmund have been away twice. A result against Dortmund will relieve some pressure, and Walcott should be back for that. Just need Cazorla and Özil starting there.

arshy9

Established Member
The most frustrating thing about this loss for me is that there are more positives about the way we played that negatives.

85mins.....ouch.

Anyway,I'd rather lose in a CL group stage game than in the league.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We were poor on the whole and got edged out of it by some poor bits of defending and two big and quite bad decisions in allowing Lewandowski to stay on the pitch and calling a soft foul on Ramseys goal. Those are two decisions that go our way 8/10.

wengerboy

Established Member
Dortmund look good I think, perhaps the 3rd best team on the planet after Munich and barca, good enough to beat them too. I think we can win the league but CL looks out of reach for this season unless we go to another level.

I am curious to see how to respond to them in the next game,I actually believe we can win over there and if we do than anything is possible this season.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
wengerboy said:
Dortmund look good I think, perhaps the 3rd best team on the planet after Munich and barca, good enough to beat them too. I think we can win the league but CL looks out of reach for this season unless we go to another level.

I am curious to see how to respond to them in the next game,I actually believe we can win over there and if we do than anything is possible this season.

Agree here. On current form it's difficult to see us besting teams of the caliber Bayern et al without further additions. However, it's important that we qualify from this group as it's all part of the growth of this current team. IMO we also need a good result (winning a tie) against at least one of the so called top teams in the CL to create the belief and confidence that we can go deep in the competition. The League should be our main target this season.

redanddread

The Jury said:
We were poor on the whole and got edged out of it by some poor bits of defending and two big and quite bad decisions in allowing Lewandowski to stay on the pitch and calling a soft foul on Ramseys goal. Those are two decisions that go our way 8/10.

I disagree that we were poor. We weren't as dynamic as we've seen to date but give credit to Dortmund here as they stopped us from playing. What was heartening was how we managed to wrest control of the game from Dortmund and put them on the back foot twice. There were one or two relatively poor individual performances, Jack & Özil, but overall the team acquitted itself well against one of the elite European teams. Our attacking threat was somewhat nullified by Dortmund but we still could easily have won this game. IMO though, Dortmund were the better team overall and played this game as well as they could have and managed the match and in game situations better than we did.

Don't think Lewandowski should have seen red but Ramsey's goal should have stood (phantom foul but they get called in the box all the time)-would he have been able to get the shot off if the whistle hadn't blown?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The Jury said:
Shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I'm not sure they'd all condone this type of behavior. I Wouldn't be surprised if the club offered to pay for the damage and sent a sincere letter of apology.

Hope so otherwise Ivan might decide to take out of the season ticket holders pockets next year :wink:

Anzac

Established Member
redanddread said:
The Jury said:

I disagree that we were poor. We weren't as dynamic as we've seen to date but give credit to Dortmund here as they stopped us from playing. What was heartening was how we managed to wrest control of the game from Dortmund and put them on the back foot twice. There were one or two relatively poor individual performances, Jack & Özil, but overall the team acquitted itself well against one of the elite European teams. Our attacking threat was somewhat nullified by Dortmund but we still could easily have won this game. IMO though, Dortmund were the better team overall and played this game as well as they could have and managed the match and in game situations better than we did.

Don't think Lewandowski should have seen red but Ramsey's goal should have stood (phantom foul but they get called in the box all the time)-would he have been able to get the shot off if the whistle hadn't blown?

IMO our tactics & selection were poor/conservative from the start. As such Dortmund cruised for much of the game as we played to their strengths by being slow/cautious out of our own half and then narrow in their half through our attack. Essentially we enabled their pressing game to shut us down in transition & their defence to compress the middle unless Giroud played on the FBs.
We improved once Cazorla and Özil went wide in the 2nd half, but we posed no threat in the middle other than Rambo as B2B as our 2 primary creative playrs were both wide & Arteta stays deep & seldom move forward to utilise his passing.
Once Cazorla & Özil went wide & Rambo going forward the FBs should have sat with Arteta rather than look to overlap.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Thought the team selection & tactics were fine actually, just got carried away and naivety got the better of us.

Harsh result, should have been 1-1 maybe.

Anzac

Established Member
psycho said:
Thought the team selection & tactics were fine actually, just got carried away and naivety got the better of us.

Harsh result, should have been 1-1 maybe.

For mind neither Rosicky or Wilshere played vertical enough ahead of the play to create the pocket that Özil likes to exploit to create the numerical overlap.
In open play we reverted back to the ,narrow tika-taka style.

redanddread

Anzac said:
redanddread said:
The Jury said:

IMO our tactics & selection were poor/conservative from the start. As such Dortmund cruised for much of the game as we played to their strengths by being slow/cautious out of our own half and then narrow in their half through our attack. Essentially we enabled their pressing game to shut us down in transition & their defence to compress the middle unless Giroud played on the FBs.
We improved once Cazorla and Özil went wide in the 2nd half, but we posed no threat in the middle other than Rambo as B2B as our 2 primary creative playrs were both wide & Arteta stays deep & seldom move forward to utilise his passing.
Once Cazorla & Özil went wide & Rambo going forward the FBs should have sat with Arteta rather than look to overlap.

Having watched the game again Dortmund certainly looked the more comfortable team throughout and maintained excellent shape throughout the game. The manner in which they slide across the pitch in their pressing formation is a joy to watch. Our most threatening moments came from out wide and once Özil made his way out wide we created one or two chances. You have to move the ball more quickly to get around the press and we weren't able/willing to get this done early doors.

The other thing that stood out was how good they were at getting the ball into their attacking players in the gaps between our midfield and defense. We were way too passive as you said and certainly that may be a sign of respect towards Dortmund but if we start that way in Dortmund we'll get picked apart. Dortmund were a fine example of how to be effective with an up tempo energy-it's something Arsène and Arsenal need to learn to be more effective against the bigger boys.

Considering the options we had I wouldn't complain about the selection but we did miss some real pace out wide and another skillful playmaker, Cazorla, early on. However, the teams selection was pretty much forced on Arsène with the injuries we have.

Anzac

Established Member
redanddread said:
Anzac said:

Having watched the game again Dortmund certainly looked the more comfortable team throughout and maintained excellent shape throughout the game. The manner in which they slide across the pitch in their pressing formation is a joy to watch. Our most threatening moments came from out wide and once Özil made his way out wide we created one or two chances. You have to move the ball more quickly to get around the press and we weren't able/willing to get this done early doors.

The other thing that stood out was how good they were at getting the ball into their attacking players in the gaps between our midfield and defense. We were way too passive as you said and certainly that may be a sign of respect towards Dortmund but if we start that way in Dortmund we'll get picked apart. Dortmund were a fine example of how to be effective with an up tempo energy-it's something Arsène and Arsenal need to learn to be more effective against the bigger boys.

Considering the options we had I wouldn't complain about the selection but we did miss some real pace out wide and another skillful playmaker, Cazorla, early on. However, the teams selection was pretty much forced on Arsène with the injuries we have.

The primary difference between Dortmund's swarm & that from Barca is that Dortmund's starts with their front 4 in their 4231, whereas Barca primarily use their midfield 3 + 1 of their front 3 depending on where they are on the pitch. As a result Dortmund's press is usually higher and originates with their attack rather than Barca with their midfield. This then helps them transition immediately into attack as it is the attack that leads the recovery and resulting numerical superiority/overlap & field position.

So far as team selection goes I'd have started Cazorla ahead of Rosicky, and looked to take the game with an early lead, and then bring Rosicky on to use his dynamic work rate with Rambo to press and harry Dortmund when they needed to chase the game.
Alternatively one of Rosicky / Wilshere needed to be given instruction to 'work the flank' to be more vertical to create the pocket for Özil to exploit.
At the end of the day it simply doesn't work against top teams & payers when we have our 6 midfield & attack players all as narrow as the 6 yard box, and only the FBs wider than the penalty area. Essentially WE congest the middle and the opposition simply compress because we enable them to do so.

The main lesson to be learned is that if we don't play smarter we'll have the same issues v Saints who also play a high intensity pressing game, and then drop off to a zone in their own half. Arteta's pace in the transition will be key.

redanddread

@ Anzac

Hopefully this team will have learnt a few lessons from the game because one things for sure, we can beat them, but as you say, we will have to play smarter football to do so. We do need Theo back though to stretch the field and not condense it or as you say, someone to "work the flanks" to create that width and spread their press. Still the sign of a good team is that they can learn from game to game and I think this team has that ability.

The one caveat is that this Dortmund team is an elite team and play as one-they know what they're doing out there, whereas I feel we're still learning in certain situations, certainly at the very top level as this game was.

The game came at an excellent time and no loss is good but maybe we can use this as a lesson and move forward. The team has the heart, now it needs to develop the nous to win these games. It's not a million miles away IMO but as this game showed we ain't there yet. We lost to a more evolved and efficient team.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom