• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Porto | 30/09/08

law

Re: Arsenal vs FC Porto: Champions League: Tues 30/9/08 19:45

kel varnsen said:
asajoseph said:
Every young player at the club has to earn the right to play for the first team, whether it's as a substitute, or a starter.

It's all very well saying it's unfair that Vela's being asked to win his place based on performances as a substitute, but that's exactly how many players starting games for us have earned their Sp**s - including the man you're advocating that he replaces.

that is how it is, which i was arguing against. that was the whole point. every first team player should be judged on equal terms. the best players should at any given time play. regardless of status and experience. imo, vela is clearly better than rvp.
You're advocating dropping a player who's scored 5 goals already this season, a couple of assists and over the last couple of years has shown when he is fit he can consistently score goals. Before the Hull game I heard he had 15 goals in 20 starts. Now that's 17 goals in 22 starts - an incredibly impressive record for a striker.

Moreover do you not see how throwing all sort of seniority out of the window would be massively disruptive to the side? If players were played and dropped purely on the basis of their last game the side would undergo big changes every week, partnerships wouldn't form and players would take far longer to regain form. Furthermore when it's clear that the teams problem is inconsistency rather than lack of quality you're advocating playing less tested, younger more unknown players.

banduan

Established Member

I don't understand.

Why is Vela 'clearly' better than RVP? I can understand it of Bendy was the pretender, but Vela?

He has done superbly well against Sheffield and has shown he's no wimp against PL opposition when he's come on as a sub, but neither has he particularly shone against them.

He was brought on against Hull to make a difference and he didn't do enough things different to whatever the rest were playing.

I agree he's going to be a quality player, but I suspect the training pitch is where these blokes are being measured and I do think he's come up short relative to RVP or even Bendy there.

asajoseph

Established Member

kel varnsen said:
asajoseph said:
Every young player at the club has to earn the right to play for the first team, whether it's as a substitute, or a starter.

It's all very well saying it's unfair that Vela's being asked to win his place based on performances as a substitute, but that's exactly how many players starting games for us have earned their Sp**s - including the man you're advocating that he replaces.

that is how it is, which i was arguing against. that was the whole point. every first team player should be judged on equal terms. the best players should at any given time play. regardless of status and experience. imo, vela is clearly better than rvp.

And that's where we differ - my opinion is that Vela is not clearly better than RVP at this stage, and if he wants to demonstrate that he is, he'll need to use the chances he gets to prove that he's ready to take his place, whilst Van Persie will have to similarly prove that he deserves to keep it.

atmosphere

You know you're **** when Eboue starts thinking he's Ronaldo.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom