• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Porto vs Arsenal | 06/12/06

quattro

quite frankly the dullest match i've ever seen from us. there were some tense moments in the second half (especially upon hearing cska moscow was 2-1 up). we possibly could've done better but at the moment this is good enough.

still it was quite painful watching us play without any sort of attacking mettle whatsoever.

go49oner

Established Member
quattro said:
quite frankly the dullest match i've ever seen from us. there were some tense moments in the second half (especially upon hearing cska moscow was 2-1 up). we possibly could've done better but at the moment this is good enough.

still it was quite painful watching us play without any sort of attacking mettle whatsoever.

Very true, watching the paint dry would of been more exciting. one of the boring/slowest/unprofessional match i have seen in years.

gunnerGH

Established Member
Just got in now. Missed the whole game... and the goals ;)
Take it we were lucky. Two shots off the post and all.
No injuries though so I guess that is always a plus guys.
How was our defense? I few of my mates said it was johan's worst performance for us yet. Surely it cant have been that bad at 0-0.

sabret00the

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
Anybody who thought we were going to go all out and attack in a match where both teams were looking for a draw needs thier head checked.

You cannot please some on this forum.

Can you imagine the outcry if we lost the match 4-3 in an attacking affair?

Well done to the players and Arsène for sticking to the task - QUALIFICATION.

Bit sick of the hypocrites calling Arsène a hypocrite for doing his job.
the day a result equates to a performance i know i'll have started supporting chelski, until then, i'm a gooner and performances matter.

Jameel46

Established Member
i'm actually hoping that we get the glamour of being in a big tie, Inter & Real would probably want get revenge for beating them, and a repeat of the final would have most of the eyes around europe on us, another reason is that we've played better against the bigger teams than the small ones, so basically no game will be easy

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
sabret00the said:
_scorpion_ said:
Anybody who thought we were going to go all out and attack in a match where both teams were looking for a draw needs thier head checked.

the day a result equates to a performance i know i'll have started supporting chelski, until then, i'm a gooner and performances matter.

If that is the case then you won't refer to Chelsea's ability to win while not playing well as something we need to learn from. If Chelsea had played this way and drew.and we played an exciting game and lost, the critics will point to how important it is to get the results regardless of performance. We cant keep shifting the goal posts. If we were able to get the results while playing poorly that is a + because I am damn sure sometime in the past you have complimented a team that was able to achieve that. So since you are a true gunner why is it you think your team doesn't deserve the same compliment? Give the kids a pat in the back..they did what they had to do.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
sabret00the said:
_scorpion_ said:

If that is the case then you won't refer to Chelsea's ability to win while not playing well as something we need to learn from. If Chelsea had played this way and drew.and we played an exciting game and lost, the critics will point to how important it is to get the results regardless of performance. We cant keep shifting the goal posts. If we were able to get the results while playing poorly that is a + because I am damn sure sometime in the past you have complimented a team that was able to achieve that. So since you are a true gunner why is it you think your team doesn't deserve the same compliment? Give the kids a pat in the back..they did what they had to do.

QFT.

Sometimes Sabre, you need a result more than a performance and tonight was one of those occasions.

I think people expect way too much from our very young side.
They expect an 'invincible type of performance' with the result to boot.

People have to stop living in the past and accept that this is a different team that is still getting an education. If it can learn to 'get a result' when playing poor then the match is not wasted and the lesson far outweighs both the result and the performance.

There are going to be some harsh realities for many members of this forum because they expect way too much too soon from this side and have been spoilt with recent success and a style that will never be matched.

Too many times I've read the most negative shlt comming from members even after our victories.

I think they falsely believe that they gain more respect from other members and supporters by claiming to be unsatisfied with the performance even after we have won. Heaven forbid we jag an untidy (but needed) draw when our CL existence in the current competition is on the line!

They tend to fail to see that the team is doing quite well for such a collectively young group (both in age and matches played together). Another trait is the tendency to focus on every negative aspect of every player. I'm a bit tired of it - which is why I can't be bothered reading half of the threads regarding matches (win or lose ) these days.

In any case, if you think today' result was a massive problem for us , I'd encourage you get over it quickly and look ahead.

kel varnsen

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:

we were lucky tonight and wenger's tactics were dead wrong. we went through, but not because of our own performance, but rather a mix of coincidences and a win for hamburg.

we played way too deep tonight. we were pushed back and porto hit the post twice, while we never even created a single chance. so please, stop with this nonsical false dichotomiy. it's not about going all out attack in these kinds of matches, but having a balanced approach. if you plan to sit back for 90 mins and just defend, chances are you might lose and you will definately not win. if porto had scored, we would have lost. simple as that.

_scorpion_

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
_scorpion_ said:

we were lucky tonight and wenger's tactics were dead wrong. we went through, but not because of our own performance, but rather a mix of coincidences and a win for hamburg.

we played way too deep tonight. we were pushed back and porto hit the post twice, while we never even created a single chance. so please, stop with this nonsical false dichotomiy. it's not about going all out attack in these kinds of matches, but having a balanced approach. if you plan to sit back for 90 mins and just defend, chances are you might lose and you will definately not win. if porto had scored, we would have lost. simple as that.

Yeah and we've been unlucky on many occasions this year - even with all the possession and chances and we didnt get the right result.

We've hit posts too Kel, and created much more than most of our opposition - yet we came away empty. That's football and congratulations for working out that luck plays a part in matches.

My point is - stop all this higher than thou bullshlt about tactics and 'performances' because it would have meant nothing today if we played exactly how you think we should have played and STILL lost 1- nil.

If you couldnt see the writting on the wall about this match two weeks ago then your not as clued in as you think (or like others to think) you are.

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
What a funny game. Porto were really ionto it but after being denied by the goal post so many tiomes, they finally said "ok, let's just settle for a draw because it looks like Arsenal also want that". Arsenal didn't even attack, lmao

moodymooday

The match was at 3am for me and I was going to stay up, but I crashed out at 2am - am quite glad that I didn't watch it, in the end! The Guardian's match report is funny. "After you, Porto. No, after you, Arsenal." :lol:

Mostarac said:
Agree with this, because Celtic would have to win their home match to have a chance to advance further on in the tournament, that means that they would have to attack us and put us under pressure, and then we would do them with our fastbreaks and our flowing football. And, I am almost sure of this because they would leave Lennon behind when attacking as he does not seem to be so commited offensively for them, and then we could go over him as he is quite slow.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but we don't counter as quicky as we did during the Invincibles season. What used to take them 3 passes and 7 seconds to get the ball out of our penalty box and on to a one-on-one (or whatever) has now become 9 passes and 20 seconds. And this gives the opposition time to regroup, and to put men into their penalty box...I'm not saying that this is the case all the time, but I don't think we attack on the break as quicky as we did in the past.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
moodymooday said:
The match was at 3am for me and I was going to stay up, but I crashed out at 2am - am quite glad that I didn't watch it, in the end! The Guardian's match report is funny. "After you, Porto. No, after you, Arsenal." :lol:

Mostarac said:
Agree with this, because Celtic would have to win their home match to have a chance to advance further on in the tournament, that means that they would have to attack us and put us under pressure, and then we would do them with our fastbreaks and our flowing football. And, I am almost sure of this because they would leave Lennon behind when attacking as he does not seem to be so commited offensively for them, and then we could go over him as he is quite slow.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but we don't counter as quicky as we did during the Invincibles season. What used to take them 3 passes and 7 seconds to get the ball out of our penalty box and on to a one-on-one (or whatever) has now become 9 passes and 20 seconds. And this gives the opposition time to regroup, and to put men into their penalty box...I'm not saying that this is the case all the time, but I don't think we attack on the break as quicky as we did in the past.
Exactly. The 03-04 team can break into opponent's box in 6-7 seconds and force defenders to err. Chances are opponent defenders either don't have time to clog the box or be forced to make hasty tacles on Pires/Freddie/Henry to concede penalty.

This season the only real penalty chances catching our players' legs were Hleb's away in Upton Park and recently Tomas agasint Sp*ds. I think Wenger should ask players to push up the tempo in counterattacks.

Asterix

Established Member
Didn't get to see teh game down under, but we finished our group top didn't we, and no-one got injured? Sounds like job done to me.

jefree

Asterix said:
Didn't get to see teh game down under, but we finished our group top didn't we, and no-one got injured? Sounds like job done to me.

Not really. Djourou pulled up with a hamstring injury and will most probably miss the game against Chelsea. :cry:

invisibleman18

Established Member
It was a dire game, but very relieved to get through. I was slightly disappointed with the play for 0-0 tactics and felt certain we would eventually concede when it was too late to get the equaliser, although in the end I guess we still would've gone through with Hamburg winning for us. First game I think I've ever seen where we didn't have 1 chance or even 1 shot in the entire game.

But the objective was achieved, so I guess it's job well done.

Nutsy

Established Member
Ginger_Reyes said:
Gunners_Nadz said:
Ginger_Reyes said:
Gurgen said:
Wenger can never be taken seriously again when he whining about negative teams. Have lost a lot of respect for him tonight.

Stop moaning, were through. I don't know how you can say that to be honest. We played similar last season in the CL for certain games, and look were it got us 8)

Could be worse though we were pretty lucky, we could've been 2-0 loss if weren't for the post. similarity i wouldn't agree for the last season, we had 5 wins and 1 draw, this season we had 3 win 2 draws and a loss. i do hope this could be the wake up call for us to atleast better at KO Stages. am content with us going through, but, tonight both teams dislayed an utterly boring game.at the final minutes of the game, both teams shut down literally settling for a draw.

I quote for the insanity of why didnt Arsène Wenger start RvP and ending the 4-5-1 nonsense? we hardly had any chances since Porto played 4-3-3 and they've had a lot of chances.

still happy on the fact though that we are through. Now, Chelski.. away.. oh boy...

Oh right sorry, your talking about the group stage there. Sorry about the above post.

All I'm trying to say is this won't be an isolated incidence, as last season showed us.

Exactly,we progressed "easily" from the group stages last season, granted we were up against "easy" teams and got 16 points off it. i apologize mate for misleading you, i should've been more clear that i was comparing stats of the group stages. :D anyway, my point is that, even though we barely make it this season's KO stages (am glad we did DEFINITELY);

but must remember we were up against two foreign league champions, FC Porto & CSKA, must admit we did pretty well here and still made it. Roma IMO is a decent squad tbh, would'nt want em up against us in the first KO stages; Lille & Celtic or PSV would be most likely to be "safe". (proving question on AW's mind playing it safe means the squad on 4-5-1, oy...)

Real's in great form, (esp if they are gonna play Reyes, still hurt by it buddy), Horseface is on fire, and their defense is solid (but hey i'm just saying :ph34r ), Inter would be a nightmare, Barca - a chance for sweet sweet revenge or may history repeats itself.

I'm getting a lil paranoid :D

qs

Established Member
Mostarac said:
Ice Berg legend said:
The other Celtic fan was confident of doing any English team at home and I can understand why, they have a good record at home. We would probably get mullered at Parkhead, if we thought Bolton away was a battle then this'll be a complete shock to the system.

I think we could destroy them on the break, even up in Scotland that is. Imagine Thierry Henry, van Persie, Hleb, Cesc and Walcott having a go at their slow defence.

Thats incredibly arrogant. Do you not realise how hard it is to get a win at Park Head?

Not only that but Celtic play exactly the kind of football that we dont do well against. You think its cold and rough at the Reebok well it'd be twice as cold and twice as tough at Park Head.

Then we'd be coming back toi the Grove needing 1 or possibly 2 goals.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom