• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Darren Bent

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love Pascal Cygan.

patrick42uk said:
lol. not at all, its just an opinion i'v always held; bent is not a striker that can play for a top four team. except liverpool who pay money for players like pennant which says it all really.

Congratulations for demonstrating your ignorance.

Given that you clearly know **** all about him, why comment?

Let me guess, his character on Pro Evo isn't that good or you once bought him on FM and he didn't turn out as you expected.

:roll:

kamikaze80

Established Member
pascal cygan, patrick didnt say bent was crap; he just said he's not a striker for the top four, which is hardly a diss, and furthermore, true. for me, bent's in the same class as defoe - some useful attributes, but is too limited and inconsistent to be a match winner for a title contending side.

for me, he's someone that Sp**s would sign.

I love Pascal Cygan.

I'd like to add that it's a shame there's no room at Arsenal for Bent.

We've just handed long term contracts to Ade + Bendy plus in Henry and RvP, we've got as good a front two as any team in the world.

31 goals in 68 Premiership games for Charlton. He'll be a great signing for whoever buys him.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Viper said:
patrick42uk said:
lol. not at all, its just an opinion i'v always held; bent is not a striker that can play for a top four team. except liverpool who pay money for players like pennant which says it all really.
But Bent is a better striker than Adebayor.

So how is he playing for us?

lampard is a 'better player' than gattuso but would milan play him next to pirlo in his place? bent cannot replicate adebayor's purpose.

Viper

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Viper said:
patrick42uk said:

lampard is a 'better player' than gattuso but would milan play him next to pirlo in his place? bent cannot replicate adebayor's purpose.
What exactly is Adebayor's purpose? To miss sitters?

dos1986

Established Member
With Vela in the frame, I will go as far as saying we definitely won't be signing any more strikers.

_scorpion_

Established Member
^^^ I would go as far as saying that is what Arsène is planning.

But I totally disagree.

We should be in for players like Bent, Martins or MacCarthney.

Players with proven goal scoring abilities.

I don't subscribe to this rubbish that Vela & Bentdner are the answers but that is me.

RC8

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:

But I totally disagree.

I don't subscribe to this rubbish that Vela & Bentdner are the answers but that is me.

I agree, I'd like an extra addition after we lost Aliadiere and Baptista. However, we do have Walcott, who has proved he can be a good striker, and will not have the niggling injury in his shoulder.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
I don't think many people think that. I think what a lot of people, including me, think is that Henry and van Persie are the answers, and that Bendtner, Walcott and Vela are there to be called upon and do a job if we lose two of them to injury again.

Improving the wide midfield areas should be our priority as far as I'm concerned.

Glovegun

Established Member
We might be snobby about Bent and say he isnt a top 4 player, but players have to come from somewhere, and as we are at the top of the tree domestically they have to come from below. Stick him in an Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United team and he would notch a fair few goals. People probably scoffed at McCarthy last season and look how well he's done. Bent has a very good goal record so in Premiership terms he is a proven striker, which Adebayor as of yet isnt and Theo and Bendtner are still a way off.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
exactly....too many people think our standards are too high for certain players and i hate it...sounds arrogant like we are the best..we havent won anything for two years boys lets face it

Viper

Established Member
RC8 said:
_scorpion_ said:

But I totally disagree.

I agree, I'd like an extra addition after we lost Aliadiere and Baptista. However, we do have Walcott, who has proved he can be a good striker, and will not have the niggling injury in his shoulder.
Not quite. The only thing Walcott has done was to score 1 goal in the CC Final.

Thats not enough. He is just another 'talented' youngster, except I don't think he is truly talented.

sabret00the

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Viper said:
patrick42uk said:

lampard is by no stretch of the imagination ever going to be better than gattuso. ever.

sabret00the

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:

But I totally disagree.

I don't think i've agreed with one of your posts since you started posting in Arsenal Talk :lol: but this is spot on. A top four team requires a player who is good at scoring goals off the bench even if that's all he's good at and i'm sorry to say but Adebayor is not that player.

asajoseph

Established Member
At the end of the day, we lack goalscorers.

We have two strikers who can be relied upon to score with something approaching regularity, and both have spend significant time out in the last two seasons. Beyond that we've got Adebayor who's brilliant one moment and diabolical the next and... well... Gilberto taking penalties. That's it. This team needs goalscorers. We're a team with a lot of good players, but nowhere near enough who know how to score - somewhere, a good player is going to have to make way to improve the balance of the side, and the most suitable candidates in my eyes are Hleb and Adebayor.

Goalscoring forwards are easier to find than goalscoring midfielders (which is a lot of people's first choice), and Bent is a player with pace and power who can score goals. There are potentially a fair few strikers with good scoring records on the market - the number of wingers available who can do that I can count on one hand. Bent's a good option - if we can loan with an option to buy, I say go for it, don't ask twice. Seems like an unlikely arrangement for Charlton to make though...

Canuck

Established Member
If Song can make the difference then let's work the deal out. I would enjoy seeing what Bent can do with a top team. He's got a lot to prove. Would rather see him come on loan than listen to any rumours about us courting Michael Owen all summer.

Grampus_Eight

I still can't see why Charlton would possibly loan Bent out to us. Objectively, it make almost no sense.

Perhaps we could agree a permanent transfer if we sent Song the other way for good and lent them a couple of youngsters.

Otherwise, I just can't see this happening.

Glovegun

Established Member
I think we have a mental stumbling block over the fact that we have 4 strikers lined up for next season - Henry, van Persie, Adebayor and Bendtner. 2 of them are proven now in Premiership terms but the others are not, whereas Bent is. I love Ade and I think he could be a very good player for us, and im sure we're all curious to see how Bendtner develops but if there is a better option out there then go for it. We shouldnt be picking players purely because they are youth products or whatever. The 3 teams that finished above us in the table, despite all of them having better seasons than us all look destined to strengthen. Look at Liverpool - Gonzalez hasnt performed - hes out. Bang. I know Wenger isnt the type to do that but missing out on a striker who will almost certainly get 15-20 goals a season for us given the game time (Bent) because we have one who is more likely to get 5-10 seems a little peculiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom