• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL - Arsenal vs Aston Villa - 17/08/13 - 3:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

future heroes

Stevo the Villan said:
Once again you've totally, TOTALLY missed the point.

I never said it wasn't injustice and I never said it was right. I merely said if I were you I'd be more worried as to why your team hadn't performed better against us IF (and it's big if because I don't believe it) we're supposedly such a **** team.
Once again, I have never said that you are a **** team. I get your point, but I consider it based on inconsistent reasoning.

Stevo the Villan said:
Look at it this way.

If I was racing Mo Farah in a 5k race. We get to the last 100 metres and Mo is just ahead of me, let's say by 10 metres. My mate runs out of the crowd and trips up Mo, and I sprint the last 100m to win the race

I'm a **** for doing it, it's injustice, it's not right.
But surely Mo, a world class runner, shouldn't have allowed himself to be beaten by an overweight, unfit football fan in the last 100m of a race?
I appreciate that you take the time to really explain your point clearly in order to avoid misunderstandings. I would also like to add that I understood your point the first time, I just do not think that it is valid.

In your example, I agree that Mo Farah should take a long look at himself (it reminds me of the story about the rabbit which arrogantly takes a nap in the race vs the turtle).

However, the conclusion from this story is not automatically transferable to the football field in a game between Arsenal and Aston Villa. Arsenal should beat Aston Villa at home, but the gap in quality is not large enough to afford being tripped in the race.

Stevo the Villan said:
As for the Chelsea game, in the running analogy we're still the overweight, unfit one. But somehow we've managed to stay level with Mo Farah all the way to the end, and then it's us that are tripped over in the final straight. We dont' have to ask ourselves why we weren't far enough in front for it not to matter because we shouldn't be out in front. We're the underdog. We've done well to even be in that position.
Okay, I pretend that you are the owverweight, unfit runner. You were the underdog and did well to even be in that position. But you were STILL ROBBED off your moment of glory and you seem to be okay with it because you fought admirably. Here is where I think that your reasoning is inconsistent.
No matter the expectations, you are still not given a fair chance to run for it if you are tripped (within PL the single matches are much more even than Mo Farah vs overweight runner; the Mo Farah vs overweight runner is a perfect analogy for league position after a full season though)

Anzac said:
IMO it's more to do with getting our/your own house in order BEFORE worrying about the officials. More so when the opponent DOESN'T have the same quality or experience.
The questions regards the officials is akin to smoke & mirrors/distraction so far as the REAL issues are concerned.
That is obviously the interpretation of the stance taken by Stevo and several other people in the thread. But I do think that it is an emotional rather than logical point. Let me explain myself:

Yes, the club has failed to sign players early to strengthen the team, but quality is not a guarantee for a win. Chelsea have looked after their own house in the summer by improving the team and the manager. Still, with all their quality, they would also had lost against Aston Villa if they got the same referee treatment (Chelsea won thanks to a biased/incompetent referee). That’s why I don’t think that it is as simple as saying “the referees decisions wouldn't have mattered if we had done our job properly”.

In my opinion, you do not understand football at all if you say domething like that. For example, you can not just say "the disallowed goal would not had mattered if England had done their job properly vs Germany in the World Cup". If you do that, you totally ignore the concept of momentum which is a key factor in football. England had the moment in a game where the result should had been 2-2 but the incorrect decision took it away from them. The referee not giving England their goal strongly affected England's ability to do their job properly in the rest of the game.

In the long run the superior teams are expected to win more often, but any team can beat each other in PL. No team in the league will ever manage to do their job properly in all the 38 league games. The Invincibles was the exception rather than the norm.

I apologize for bumping the thread, but I really wanted to make myself clear on this topic.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Stevo the Villan said:
Look at it this way.

If I was racing Mo Farah in a 5k race. We get to the last 100 metres and Mo is just ahead of me, let's say by 10 metres. My mate runs out of the crowd and trips up Mo, and I sprint the last 100m to win the race

I'm a **** for doing it, it's injustice, it's not right.
But surely Mo, a world class runner, shouldn't have allowed himself to be beaten by an overweight, unfit football fan in the last 100m of a race?

Jesus cried tears of lager. :lol:

That has to be the worst, most false analogy I've ever read.

I honestly don't know where to begin. If that's the best analogy you can think of, then I think it's indicative of how difficult it is for you to make sense of your own argument. At least it made me laugh!

How the **** are you even entertaining that, FH? :lol:

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
For me MDG

1. Failure to send Szczesny off for the first penalty
2. Failure to give Vlaar a second yellow
3. Koscielny second yellow
4. Second penalty and Koscielny's yellow
5. Luna yellow card

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Luna only got that yellow because he was trying to make himself look less of a **** at that stage. Meant nothing and wasn't a 'big' decision to make. Like with Vlaar, the BIG decision would have come if Luna mullered someone after having been booked, in which case Taylor would have obviously let it go.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
The question was what was the 5 worst refereeing decisions in this match, combined for both teams. I agree that it was by not a big decision to make but it was IMO one of Taylor's top 5 worst decisions.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Oh ok. Problem is Syd, when you take into account the timing of the decisions, it gives a whole new complexion. Taylor was throwing us a fish when he booked Luna. He was being clever. But, yeah, it was also a sh!t decision to book Luna on the face of it.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
so the shots, 16-9 in favor of arsenal, 4 each on target. not sure that is correct. lets review them 1 by 1 to confirm

Moderator Edit: Let's not. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom