• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL - Arsenal vs Man City – 4:00pm – 13/01/13 - SS1

awooga83

Established Member
Personally when I saw the challenge again on replay I thought Kompany was a little hard done by but could see how that might be deemed a sending off offence. What surprises me is the FA changing their view given that I think it was a 50/50 not clear either way and a ref had already called it.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
GDeep said:
Invincible said:
Quicker than Walcott said:
Mike Dean needs to be shot the **** up and given no funeral.
Mike Dean didn't buy Gervinho and sell Cesc and RVP.

Cesc and Robin wanted to leave, what did you want Wenger to do? Robin went to extreme lengths to leave with his statement.

Anyway, heard a stat on the radio, Mike Dean has refereed 16 of our games.... and we've won 1.

I once heard George Graham say that if a CB makes the same mistakes 2/3 times in a period of 3/4 weeks he would drop them and consider shipping them out, that was enough to show him the player wasn't good enough. Vermaelen makes mistakes every game, and I love Kos but he can't stop cocking up, I think its time to move one or two of these to the bench at least, if not out. Thomas Vermaelen should be our next sale, I would offer him around in the summer.
Fabregas and van Persie are slime, and good riddance. The problem with Fabregas is that Barcelona got away with tapping him up, which is out of the hands of anyone at Arsenal. The problem with van Persie is WHERE Wenger sent him, and he does have to answer for that; if he'd gone to a big club outside England, I think most of us, though not liking it, would have understood. Essentially, sending him to the Fergiebastards gave them the League title -- unless he gets hurt again.

As for buying Gervinho, both he and Chamakh were much-desired, and much-heralded, before they arrived. If Wenger should be faulted for bringing them in, so should anyone who wanted it, and approved of it. And, in each case, I plead guilty. (Hopefully, their poor performances will count as "time served" for me.)

I heard it was 1 out of 17. But it got worse: Dean sent Kompany off, even though his foul, while quite foul, was probably not one of City's 10 worst on the day. He sent Kompany off in the 75th minute, thus getting City's captain (and arguably their best player) suspended. What, Alex, you only loaned him to City for 74 minutes? I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Mike Dean is the worst sports official on the planet, which is saying a lot considering Howard Webb and Phil Dowd are in the same league.

Graham had one big advantage over Wenger, and that is ruthlessness with his own players. Wenger, with the exception of Denilson, has had trouble dealing with the possibility that a player is simply not good enough. (You could also say Almunia, but he also had injury issues.)

Vermaelen has a great attitude, but he has fallen short of our hopes. Sell him? Depends on how much we get for him. If only it was like North American sports, where we could make trades. At the very least, he should no longer be Captain. That's not personal, it's competitive: If you're not good enough to start (and, lately, he's not), you're not good enough to be Captain.

The weirdest thing about this game: For once, I'm not among the people criticizing Diaby. A few Arsenal bloggers have said he was awful, but I didn't see him as especially so. Maybe that's because, to me, being mediocre is a step up for Diaby.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Thought Kompany's tackle was OK in all honesty. Slight show of studs these days and everyone has a hissy fit.

Giroud

Established Member
It looks terrible from most angles but one angle proves the tackle was not reckless. Can't blame Dean at all for giving the red as he doesn't have a dozen angles to make a decision on.

mo50

Established Member
Giroud said:
It looks terrible from most angles but one angle proves the tackle was not reckless. Can't blame Dean at all for giving the red as he doesn't have a dozen angles to make a decision on.

That is some backward logic. To me it was a red card. Granted it wasn't the worst tackle you'll ever see but I'd send him off.

The decision to rescind the red card is ****ing loony though. This wasn't some ridiculous decision, at best it was 50:50 and the FA usually stick with the refs even if the ref messed up big time.

The conspiracy theorist in me reckons they want the title challenge to go to the wire for the purpose of promoting the PL. Leaving City without their best defender would give United a big chance of extending an already large 7 point lead.

MaestroCesc

Therapy Inc said:
Airknight said:
MaestroCesc said:
Amazing how Mertesacker is getting let off. Yes Koscienly completely ruined the game and ****ed up but when Mertesacker came on, he was useless with the boy and got caught out many times, if Man City hadnt put handbrake on or had capitalised on their chances, alot more would have been made out by his performance.

Not that amazing, with one man less you always know they'd be all over us, and with the left side leaking the goals it was easy to choose the target for our anger.

The first goal was Vermaelen's fault. The second goal was a combination of Vermaelen and a midfielder being at blame. Mertesacker was left to cover two guys and sat in between them but the first guy got a touch on it. Mertesacker is getting let off because he did absolutely nothing wrong except be put in a terrible situation.
There shouldnt be much difference in your levels of defending with 10 or 11 men, if anything with 10 you concentrate on defending more.

Mertesacker was poor when he came on, im not sure how you can say he did absolutely wrong. Caught out of position numerous times, sloppy with the ball and Dzeko gave him a torrid time.

evoh_1

Established Member
I like that the FA just accept the appeal and no other infomation, like on what basis, did the ref say he made an error? Do they think it was a not dangerous?

As stated I bet they want some sort of challenge to yahnited and kompnay goen would reduce that chance markedly, therefore just overturn the card and get him playing.

Giroud

Established Member
mo50 said:
Giroud said:

That is some backward logic. To me it was a red card. Granted it wasn't the worst tackle you'll ever see but I'd send him off.

Not backward at all, from behind the tackle looks reckless as it does from Dean's angle. Then if you see it from the side you can clearly see his leg is low and isn't flying in with both feet at Wilshere's ankle. Some angles distort the way a challenge looks.

evoh_1

Established Member
Giroud said:
mo50 said:
Giroud said:

Not backward at all, from behind the tackle looks reckless as it does from Dean's angle. Then if you see it from the side you can clearly see his leg is low and isn't flying in with both feet at Wilshere's ankle. Some angles distort the way a challenge looks.

The angle you talk of looks fine right i've seen it. However look at the persepctive on that camera:

1358098665145.gif

Away from the foot and looking down on it, and missing when he commits to the tackle, how are you going to tell if he has left the ground recklessly?

From behind and in front you can see that as the ball rolls on kompany lunges off the ground and is in the air with both feet. Now if AJck comes across the ball kompany will go straight through his ankle and won't be able to stop himself in any way and he has commited to the tackle with his stuffs up.

Now its all about endangerment and control did he endanger the player being tackled? Yes was he in control of the tackle at all times? No.

Red card

Giroud

Established Member
That's by far the best angle and I wouldn't have sent Kompany if I saw the tackle from there. His feet are moving downwards, it's not like it was a ridiculously high tackle. However I thought it was a red card at first and from Dean's angle it looks reckless too. I'm surprised the FA rescinded the card but I don't think he deserved it so it's a fair outcome.

I really don't get this "was he in control of the tackle". If you perform a slide tackle how can you be in control anyway? You can hardly stop your momentum or suddenly change direction, should we just ban slide tackles from the game? Also, all tackles carry some sort of danger, it's a part of the game.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Glad Kompany's red was withdrawn. didn't look like a red tbh.

MaestroCesc said:
There shouldnt be much difference in your levels of defending with 10 or 11 men, if anything with 10 you concentrate on defending more.

Playing with one less attacker invites further pressure onto the same defensive unit as you don't carry an attacking threat. The team with 11's full backs can push up more, the midfielders can take more chances to win the ball early knowing they're backed up etc.

More pressure on your defence will invariably lead to more goals conceded, no matter how hard you concentrate.

Airknight

Established Member
Agree, never a red.. A lot of it comes from Wilshere's awkward fall imo.

Credit for him for going with caution, he's getting fouled a lot and i'm sure he knows how important he is for us atm.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom