• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL – Arsenal vs Norwich - 12:45 - 05/05/12 - Arsenal Player

VancouverCanuck

Irish_Owen said:
I don't know why Chamberlain isn't getting games, it really boggles the mind why Ramsey was preferred yesterday. It's rumored it's related to some sort of add-on clause based on appearances that we may have to pay Charlton, which if true would make my blood boil, but far from shock me in the slightest. He has to start the final game of the season, for sure.
Doubt it has anything to do with add-on clauses but you never know. My guess is Chamberlain is still a defensive liability at this point. Ramsey was poor defensively yesterday but he was taking on Arteta's role, which is not suited for the Ox. And I could see why Wenger chose Benayoun over him because of his experience. Although defensively, Benayoun, like the rest of the team, looked suspect as well.

evoh_1

Established Member
VancouverCanuck said:
Irish_Owen said:
I don't know why Chamberlain isn't getting games, it really boggles the mind why Ramsey was preferred yesterday. It's rumored it's related to some sort of add-on clause based on appearances that we may have to pay Charlton, which if true would make my blood boil, but far from shock me in the slightest. He has to start the final game of the season, for sure.
Doubt it has anything to do with add-on clauses but you never know. My guess is Chamberlain is still a defensive liability at this point. Ramsey was poor defensively yesterday but he was taking on Arteta's role, which is not suited for the Ox. And I could see why Wenger chose Benayoun over him because of his experience. Although defensively, Benayoun, like the rest of the team, looked suspect as well.

I think Arsène is worried about his defensive qualitys but when we palyed milan at home he was pretty good got a few good tackles in and was ok postionally. Though the milan game was essentially pressure free which is when this arsenal team actually plays good football.

Ramsey looks like he has ****ed himself completely, he should have been sent off in the first half and thought he was going to pick up a second yellow in the second half. He was charging up through players but didn't track runners or hold a good postion in defense which is shocking when song is pushing up so much. I want ramsey to do well and maybe Oxlade isn't ready for a pressure game like this in the centre but I don't think ramsey is either, real quandry for Arsène.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
SomGooner said:
No player in Arsenal jersey had anywhere near a good game yesterday and as long as we delude ourselves by excusing the poor performances of 'our favourite' players then we will never be able to fairly analyse/discuss why player A isn't giving his all like player B.

PS. RWA my comment isn't aimed at you mate in case you might think so. :wink:

In case this was aimed at me, I am just trying to even things up,
cause beside excusing "favourite" players performance, there's also dismiss any effort on "unfavourite" players

those behaviour are very common here

Arsenal in Aus

I think most of us would agree the team's performance against Norwich was simply atrocious. To concede 3 goals at home to a team like that is truly shocking. The main point of debate in my view is where the primary responsibility lies.

As much as I am (in general) a huge Wenger fan, personally I feel the Norwich result is mainly the manager's fault. If he can't motivate the team and provide an effective tactical approach when we're playing our last home match of the season, against a newly promoted side, when 3rd place and CL football is at stake, there is something seriously wrong.

There was a very obvious penalty against RvP right at the death, but not even that can be blamed - we shouldn't have been anywhere near a 3-3 scoreline in the first place.

jay-d

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-defensive-fragility-cost-us-dearly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -us-dearly</a>

Don't think I've seen Wenger so openly slaughter the defence before.

I like what he said except the intelligence part. It seems that Wenger places way too much emphasis on player intelligence in these sistuations. It's not the players are stupid but everyone thinks differently at different times, this could be why we are such a poor defensive unit, we need drills and more drills so the players are almost programmed what to do as a unit and stop operating as intelligent individuals.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Vinci said:
For the first goal, Vermaelen covers Hoolahan, he knows where he is and keep his eye on him. He is in doubt about whether to help Koscielny out with Jackson or get closer to Hoolahan.

xfyvxu.jpg

He moves further back, expecting Song or Ramsey to cover Hoolahan. Makes sense, and the defence looks pretty good having covered their strikers well, but Song and Ramsey do a half-heartedly job and Hoolahan has all the room in the world to score. Poor job by Szczęsny, but that aside he should have never been given this much freedom.

2r4lgut.jpg

Midfield mainly at fault for not covering Hoolahan. Vermaelen at fault? I don't know, in the second picture he is in a good position to defend any incoming cross, it's just that the midfield defend poorly.

Second goal is even worse, Hoolahan in acres of space, no midfielder except Song tracking back. Song does so half-heartedly as well. Vermaelen nowhere to be seen, but you would expect Song to cover for him when he bombs forward.

s4xwna.jpg

I didn't watch the entire game, only seen the highlights, but Hoolahan scored and assisted once, not because he is such a great player, but because he is given acres of space.

His goal was a poor attempt and his assist was pretty straightforward as it was 3 vs 2. It's easy to blame Vermaelen, because he went wandering off again, but you would expect someone to cover him. At least there should be some general sense on what to do when Vermaelen goes forward, someone to drop back. Would make sense since you would be outnumbered, like for the the second goal.

We really need to drill our defence and midfield.

Absolutely spot on, our problem is to defend as a team, and not to blame our defenders.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom